Stuck at 120 Mph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck at 120 Mph

I just got done rebuilding my motor. I put 1,000 some miles on it and then flored it. I was impressed until I hit 120 Mph. I was stuck 120mph. I had this problem before as well, I wonder if its because the the tranny is still in safe mode from increased line preasure, since the MAF is removed. Im not sure but let me here your thoughts. Thanks

Stock speed limiter. Mine is 107mph. I guess you're is higher stock for some reason. You can edit it out if you have a powertuner. Get that MAF back in there though!!! Did your TCC issue ever get resolved?

No need to go that fast anyways. 120 is good for a lot in the quarter. And besides, your motor isn't running well or your trans, you are just asking for something to break...
    Last edited by IsaacHayes; 07-06-2006, 02:10 PM.
    sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
    1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
    16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
    Original L82 Longblock
    with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
    Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

Is yours at GAGT, or just an SE? I know the GAGTs are goverend at 129mph, while the SEs are goverend at 120mph.

Sounds to me like the speed limiter has got you owned on this one. And one other thing, where the hell, and why in the hell were you out doing 120? J/K! I know somebody is going to ask that is the only reason I said it. I'm guilty too though, gotta know the top speed. My beretta will go 128 gps verified mph.

14.60 @ 96.33 for now...

Comment

96 GP SE 3100- tops out at 109mph then nose dives...

Comment

I thought it was a speed limiter as well. But it sits thier at 120 with out any attenp to accell. I know with a car that has a limiter it will just cut off and then let you resume. I need to fix this, Can some one please help.

Comment

Oh yeah its a GA GT 2001 supercharged with all the goodies, and yes I scanned it, but nothing shows up, just the stuck TCC siloinoid, but thats because off the high line preasure. Thats why I thout that had something to do with it.

Comment

Honestly, get the MAF back in there, get it tuned (I assume it's idling ok now?). You're going to break something running it hard. First step to performance is make sure everything is running ok. Maintenince first!

I don't know about cut off and lets you resume... When I hit mine it's like someone hits the brakes (stops accelrating), then it just holds there at the speed. But that's not good as it's cutting fuel and can run lean then...

You don't need to fix that unless you are on a closed race track. Driving at those speeds is asking for a ticket or worse! And in the 1/4 mile you're not going to hit 120 unless you are hitting 12's.
              Original L82 Longblock
              with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

I dont want to drive that fast everyday, I just want to make sure its not a major problem in the furture. My car sits at 4,000 Rpms and if I hold it thier the engine gets hot. Do you think its because its not getting enough fuel. I was told by the other owner that its will do well over 120Mph. Im sure somebody has an explanation for this. If you do please post.

On the other hand my battery died the other day, could it be possible that my computer was reset to factory settings. that might be why my tranny line preasure is extremely high, thus a stuck silinoid, and that might hy the engine light comed on and why I cant go over 120. WTF I need help.

Comment

it is the speed limiter kicknig in. when it kicks in, it cuts fuel to the motor. That will make it run lean and get hot, you could detonate adn blow a hole in a piston doign that.

The only way to go faster and not burn up your motor when it cuts fuel is to disable the speed limit, or rather you raise the number to something higher like 180mph or whatever. You have to use a powertuner to do that.

the computer is flash based and won't go default when the battery is disconnected. It will re-learn some fueling that it leanrs based on the o2 sensor, but the code doesn't change. You need a tune, and the MAF put back in is what you need!!!!
                  Original L82 Longblock
                  with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

Thanks that explains how I blew my pistons in the first place, I was racing a mach 1 stang, peg it to 120 and kept it thier. when I got home my engine was knocking. Ok maybe thats its, but it still fells funny the way it just lets me stay at 120 with out cutting out or kicking the rpms down.

Comment

holy cow, yeah that's probably why they popped. It's bad enough to go lean when NA, but you have boost, and going lean = detonation time!! Wow yeah I'd say that's what did it.

I know it feels funny. It doesn't shut off the fuel totally, so it doesn't just stop running, and the RPMS don't go down as it's just cutting the fuel to the injectors like 1/2 the time. So it's like a soft RPM limiter, only instead of limiting spark, it limits fuel. It's bad to hit that. ESPECIALLY on a boosted motor!!
                      Original L82 Longblock
                      with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

I kiss 120 weekly. It ain't that fast once you get use to it. She-e-it, I do triple digits everyday! But that top-end at 120 sucks, I agree.

Drive fast get tickets.
                        Drive faster attract sponsors.
                        Drive REAL fast, they can't do it, and leave you alone.

Up here in ohio the city's are pretty close together, yes they can call ahead but it takes a few minutes to get everything organized to block you or locate you. At 160, you go through 3 city's in a few minutes. They can't compete with that.

Hey has anybody heard any news on the guy in Rhode ISland. He's sueing the state over "driving is a right, not a priveledge!" (what I was raised with...)

I heard he made it to the supreme court of RI but no further news. If he wins, talk about major lawsuits across the country!!!! I'll be the first to sue the living shit out of Ohio and just about every city in northern ohio. Ooops, can't do that... If I won I'd then have to join the Ferrari Forum...
                        sigpicHow to make High performance Emissions:
                        A "true" High flow converter, straight pipe.
                        Low/No flow EGR valve, block off plate.
                        Carbon canister and purge valve mod, place in large 30 Gallon can, cover, and place curbside, the city will do the rest.
                        PCV valve and vent tube, reroute to exhaust to dump where it belongs, on the ground. Or add breathers and let it all free.

Comment

Originally posted by john_V63400
                          Thanks that explains how I blew my pistons in the first place, I was racing a mach 1 stang, peg it to 120 and kept it thier. when I got home my engine was knocking. Ok maybe thats its, but it still fells funny the way it just lets me stay at 120 with out cutting out or kicking the rpms down.
                          Are you completely fucking stupid? You chunked the pistons because of holding it at the speed limiter. Fix the engine and what's the first thing you do? Run it at the speed limiter again. What do you think is going to happen this time?

We told you the RSM tune is not a tune at all. Get the MAF back in and tune the car right before running it hard. Also, running at the speed limiter means that at least 1 or 2 injectors are disabled. Add in that stock 2001 GA timing was NEVER meant for boost conditions and well enjoy grenading another engine.

If you can't do that then you just wasted your money on an engine rebuild.
                          Your local OBDII moderator

2000 Grand Am GT w/ WOT parts

Comment

I know, I only did it once for about 35 seconds. I just baught the DHP tuner. Ill tune with out the MAF with 36# injectors, and see how it does. After that I will decide to throw the MAF back in the mix. "I really tring to avoid that if posible. Hey I got to 120 really quik though."

Comment

Originally posted by john_V63400
                              I know, I only did it once for about 35 seconds. I just baught the DHP tuner. Ill tune with out the MAF with 36# injectors, and see how it does. After that I will decide to throw the MAF back in the mix. "I really tring to avoid that if posible. Hey I got to 120 really quik though."

If you don't put the "MAF back in the mix", or get a 2-bar map, then there is no hope for you. Have fun destroying your transmission.
                              Regards,

Todd E. Johnson

Comment

Working...
                              X