the ORIGINAL GM 60 degree V-6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the ORIGINAL GM 60 degree V-6

Anyone besides me interested in the ORIGINAL GM 60 degree V-6?

This would be the 1960-to-1974 GMC truck engine, starting at 305 cubic inches and going up (WAY up) from there--and with V-8 (diesel) and V-12 (gasoline) versions.

There is a fairly well-done web site already: http://www.6066gmcguy.org/ but the forum section isn't user-friendly.
    ^ some people may call this guy an asshole at times, but he isn't wrong very often -- Robert

This pops up randomly on this site, pretty cool but they are of no relation to our engines other than being GM.
    Past Builds;
    1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
    1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
    Current Project;
    1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

That is ABSOLUTELY TRUE.

Now look at the top of this page:
      "THE BEST SOURCE FOR ALL YOUR GM 60* V-6 NEEDS"

And yet there's an entire 60 degree V-6 engine family that isn't covered.

Perhaps the solution is to revise the forum slogan.
      Last edited by Schurkey; 01-20-2011, 05:07 PM.
      ^ some people may call this guy an asshole at times, but he isn't wrong very often -- Robert

Comment

Maybe it should be...

"THE BEST SOURCE FOR ALL YOUR MODERN GM 60* V-6 NEEDS"

But that just sounds wierd... And as Dave mentioned, it pops up every now and again because people come across it in internet searches for the modern stuff. We've been around for over 10yrs now, and not once has anyone with one of those come here looking for information, that I can remember.
        -Brad-
        89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
        sigpic
        Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Oh, heck yes--those big old "bent sixes" were great engines. Loads of torque and a wonderful sounding exhaust note.

Friend of mine has a '62 GMC stepside pickup with the 305 V6 and a 4-speed stick. Whatta truck!

The family who had a farm down the road from ours had a '67 GMC 3/4-ton 4X4 pickup, again with the 305 & stick. I liked it better than the '69 Chevy 4X4 we had (powered by a 350 V8 & stick). The GMC simply had more "lug" than the Chevy V8.

I remember seeing the larger versions in trucks I worked with back in the day.

Comment

There is an older GMC crane truck in the weeds behind my work. It has a HUGE V6 gasser in it. I wonder if that has any relation to the engines listed on that page.
            -Matt

Comment

Originally posted by mrl390 View Post
              There is an older GMC crane truck in the weeds behind my work. It has a HUGE V6 gasser in it. I wonder if that has any relation to the engines listed on that page.
              Yep, that's the engine family I'm talking about.

Comment

If/When I get an old truck to restore it will be a GMC with a Big 60 degree V6. But I want to source the 478 magnum engine from a medium duty truck. It had a 5.125" Piston !! One cool feature they had was 2 speed differential in the 1 ton trucks
                1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
                1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
                Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

I have one out of a 62 that was replaced for and i6 250. I'd love to find another and build one of those v12s they toyed with back in the day.
                  87 3.4 4x4 blazer
                  3 inch body lift, t-bar/shackle lift, 31x10.5s

Comment

It would be cool but then your forced to drive a Heavy Duty Truck around town.
                    1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
                    1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
                    Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

Working...
                    X