contest idea: desktop dyno contests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• contest idea: desktop dyno contests

i was flipping through my latest popular hot rodding and reading about the dyno contests and the latest desktop dyno contest, and had a thought, 60degree v6 desktop dyno shootouts using the desktop dyno 2000 program (avalible to by or can download it from kazza or limewire, ect)

what i was thinking is have different contests every couple weeks. there would be some guidlines you have to follow and you send your saved dyno files to the person running it (id be more than glad to do the judging). scores would be based on max hp+torque or avarage hp+ average torque (depending on what we are trying to build in each contest) to get a final score.

of coarse, this would be with 60 degree v6 engines. some dyno contests i have thought of so far are

-2.8-3.4 street- a streetable engine, average hp+torque from 2000-6000 rpm. must be a 2 valve head, and be able to theoreticly run on pump gas (so 11:1 would be max compression). no power adders allowd
    -2.8-3.4 full race- full race engine, any fuel (excluding nitro and nitrous), this would be rated on max hp+ max torque, and open to any rpm range. no power adders
    -3.4 dohc street- same as 2.8-3.4, but with 4 valve heads
    -3.4 race- same as 2.8-3.4 race
    -boosted street- no nitrous, gasoline (must theoreticly be able to run on pump gas), scores are average hp+ torque from 2000-7000rpm.
    -unlimited- anything you want, max engine size of 3.5l

so what do you guys think about this??? interested??? other sited have photoshop contests, but being we are an engine forum, dyno contests seem more fitting. please give some feedback on this, or any ideas.
    yes
    0%
    no
    0%

I say just use any displacement. Now we are still unsure of the maximum the blocks can go, but I'd leave that at a max. Just say you have to use a 2nd gen 60*v6 block. That is a displacement limit right there.

Why have a max rev of 6,000rpm?

Also you can run pump gas on higher than 11:1 c/r.

Other than this tho, sounds like a good idea. However I don't have DD or the time to mess with it, I'd ;ike to see. I bet we can get over 800hp out of these things N/A

Comment

thats just some rules they use in the real dyno contest for streetable engines. they take the average hp and torque between 2000-6500 (after all, why would anyone be going higher rpm on the street???) and 11:1 was just a ballpark figure i came up with, as most people wouldnt go higher on a street engine.

those are just a few ideas i had. we could do all kinds of things, i just came up with those real quick to put in this thread. i just wanted to get a feeler to see if anyone was interested in this sort of thing.

Comment

If I had the time, money, and resources and the desire to build pushrod 60s, then I would defiantely be looking at 7,000rpm, even with a street motor.

Comment

sound pretty cool
          I Like V660s
          Does Chevy make beer
          ~Jayme~

Comment

I'm down like a clown but one thing I dont understand, why no power adders? Come on! Granted, theres no replacement for displacement, but boost is a good alterative.
            Tuning a car is full of compromises. You must decide if you are willing to give up either reliability, performance, or a whole load of cash. Also remember that repairs will seem to come up much more often as you strive for even more performance

Comment

yeah if you can actually get all the specs to enter for a blower
              I Like V660s
              Does Chevy make beer
              ~Jayme~

Comment

Yah, I doubt DD has enough additives. I mean there are so many specs, you can't just say 9 psi of boost. You have to look at blower displacement, heat, intercoolers, etc. It wouldn't be possible. I mean, just look at the difference a Whipple blower made on a stock GTP. It was like 60hp. And they were pushing the same amount of boost too.

Comment

I definately like the idea. I think there could also be a forced induction contest as well, but limit it to one power adder, and one that DD already has the specs for. Sounds like fun either way though.

Shawn
                  90 Grand Prix STE 3.1 Intercooled Turbo-3100 Hybrid
                  K&N, Magnaflows, No Cat, Chip, FFP Pulley, H260 Cam, No EGR.
                  99 Grand Prix GT
                  K&N|No Cat/ubend/res|160 tstat|shift kit|UD ALT & WP Pulleys|XP Cam|Stage 2 I/C|Pacesetters|MPS|2.9"|Custom PCM
                  12.665 @ 110.44 w/2.018 60', STREET TIRES, PUMP GAS!

Comment

Whelp, sounds to me like theres interest in a forced induction catagory, so whadda ya say there sharkey?
                    Tuning a car is full of compromises. You must decide if you are willing to give up either reliability, performance, or a whole load of cash. Also remember that repairs will seem to come up much more often as you strive for even more performance

Comment

i dont think theres any blowers you could or would want to add to a 660 on DD
                      I Like V660s
                      Does Chevy make beer
                      ~Jayme~

Comment

I will have to check but I believe there is. Thats how I got the specs for my 350hp 2.8/3.1. Using a turbo and push around 1.5bar (yes, it is possible!)

Comment

I built a destroked 3400 with a 2.8 crank and a turbo that saw over 350hp @8500 rpm.
                          1984 Indy Fiero 3.4L
                          13.7 sec @ 98 mph
                          *ALL THROTTLE AND NO BOTTLE*

Comment

Working...
                          X