W Body Autocross

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • VerbotenZ34
    • Dec 2003
    • 133

    #1

    W Body Autocross

    I see alot of people on 60*V6 are working hard to get down the 1320 faster, but I was wondering if anyone has tried their W Bodies in the twisties? I'm sure the relatively high weight and other cut corners by GM would limit their overall ability, but has anyone tried their hand at an autocross event or such?

    Verboten

    \'92 Lumina Z34: It\'s not unmodded - It\'s Super Stock!
  • Mitch DOHC
    • Jan 2004
    • 261

    #2
    i have went to a couple of autocross events woth my cutlass, and have enjoyed the time on the track, and learned alot about the handling of my car.... but the weight factor is a big one..... i did better that alot of the cars there but there were a lot there that did much better than me..... the lighter weight imports do much better in the twisties... but their is hope..... one car that was their bothe times that i went was an early to mid 90's grand prix... it was compleatly stripted out and preaty much set up for race only and he did very well...... so it is possible
    1994 Cutlass Supreme Convertible 3.4 DOHC
    1969 Oldsmobile 442
    1997 Chevy Tahoe
    http://members.cardomain.com/mperkins442

    Comment

    • patgizz
      The Plaid Bandit
      • Oct 2003
      • 1071

      #3
      not going to bother, building a lighter car for that.

      Comment

      • RidgeRunner
        • Oct 2003
        • 971

        #4
        Mine's not a W, but I have autoxed my 60v6.
        60v6's original Jon M.

        Comment

        • RebelGT
          • Oct 2003
          • 642

          #5
          yeah, w bodies really aren't the best platform for that sort of thing, you wanna get a J or L, or even an X would be nicer start.
          26+6=1

          Comment

          • dohcfiend
            King Chalupa
            • Jan 2004
            • 2351

            #6
            don't know about u guys, but mine handles like a brick.
            The Official Rotating Mass Nazi

            Comment

            • dykz34
              • Jan 2004
              • 793

              #7
              How does a brick handle?

              Comment

              • 93LuminaZ34va
                • Dec 2003
                • 144

                #8
                yeah.... I never liked the way my Z34 handles. the F bodys I have are much better for autocross, beleive it or not. my 92 RS is the one i've actually competed with..... BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KD's (245/50/ZR16's.... they required stock size tires at this event)on all 4 corners The 98 Z28 will probobly get to do that some after a 6 speed conversion....
                1993 Chevy Lumina Z34; 4T60-E, CATCO 2.5" hi-flo cat, Flowmaster Exh, American Racing Aero Rims, KYB GR-2's
                1999 Tacoma SR5 TRD 3.4V6 4WD, lift, tires, rims, exhaust, couple of tricks
                1962 Buick Electra 225 STOCK... and gonna keep it that way

                Comment

                • Juglenaut
                  • Dec 2003
                  • 1130

                  #9
                  don't know about u guys, but mine handles like a brick.

                  So does my 91 GTP, like it is on rails...I was told that it has the best suspension available factory.

                  When I had my axles replaced my friend mech told me it handles better than his and it is the same only a 93.
                  I am back

                  Mechanical/Service Technican

                  Comment

                  • RebelGT
                    • Oct 2003
                    • 642

                    #10
                    Originally posted by Juglenaut

                    So does my 91 GTP, like it is on rails...I was told that it has the best suspension available factory.
                    .
                    handles well for a wbody sure... the best suspension available, probally not, i don't see a wbody out paceing an FE7 equiped car.
                    26+6=1

                    Comment

                    • RidgeRunner
                      • Oct 2003
                      • 971

                      #11
                      I wonder if the FE7 components can be fitted to a J?
                      60v6's original Jon M.

                      Comment

                      • Juglenaut
                        • Dec 2003
                        • 1130

                        #12
                        FE7
                        And I care this much >||<


                        I did say factory derrrflugen
                        I am back

                        Mechanical/Service Technican

                        Comment

                        • RebelGT
                          • Oct 2003
                          • 642

                          #13
                          FE7 is factory..........
                          26+6=1

                          Comment

                          • dykz34
                            • Jan 2004
                            • 793

                            #14
                            hahahahhaha

                            Your GTP has FE3, incase you are wondering.

                            Comment

                            • Rhedalert
                              Dr. Feelgood
                              • Oct 2003
                              • 1574

                              #15
                              What was so great about FE7? My mom has that suspension on her '95 Cutlass sedan. It handles nice, but my '89's suspension could definetly outhandle it. And we've had the '95 since new so don't suggest that it's just worn out.
                              Brian

                              '95 Cutlass Supreme- "The Rig"
                              3400 SFI V6, 4T60e
                              Comp Cam grind, LS6 valve springs, OBD2 swap, Tuned
                              2.5" DP/ 2.5" dual exh/ Magnaflow Cat/ crap mufflers/ 3500 Intake manifold/ 65mm TB
                              TGP steering Rack/ 34mm Sway Bar/Vert STB/ KYB GR2's

                              '08 Chevy Trailblazer SWB 1LT "Smart Package"- LH6 5.3L V8/4L60e, A4WD

                              Comment

                              Working...