Looking For Some Help

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Joe-Rabe
    1983 Pontiac Firebird
    • May 2009
    • 4

    #1

    Looking For Some Help

    Ok So I bought my bird for $600.00 right? I figured I would have some issues like body work and minor mechanicals. Well I start going over the Engine and it sounds rough so I think maybe it is the timing. first thing is repalce plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. Then I find that all the emissions lines are either in really bad shape or missing, and 75% of them are plugged with bolts, so I fix whats there and eliminate whats not hooked to anything but a bolt.. It runs quite rich so I adjust the mixture down some. But now it has a new issue, I drove to nearby Convenience store to pick up a few things one night, and when I went to leave it would not start. I could smell the fuel, so I knew that was working, and the engine turned over so I knew batt was ok. But it would not fire up at all. So I called a buddy of mine and we pulled it to his shop. My first thought is the coil, so I change it out without a bit of trouble. Then it still does not fire so I figure maybe it is flooded and the cylinders are ful of fuel. So I let it sit for 2 days and then it fires right up. Now I drive it to work and back (alot farther than the convenience store is) and have no trouble at all. The other day I drive it to store and same thing happens again. I waited a couple of days and it started back up. What in the world is causing this any ideas?
  • bszopi
    Site Coder
    • Apr 2000
    • 9190

    #2
    It sounds like it only does it when its driven, stopped for a short time, and then started again? If it sits for several hours, the problem doesn't occur. Correct?
    -Brad-
    89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power

    Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

    Comment

    • Joe-Rabe
      1983 Pontiac Firebird
      • May 2009
      • 4

      #3
      Correct

      Yes, if I drive for a longer distance it is fine, but short distance it does not want to start. Even if I let it sit for a short period of time it wont start takes a day or two, I think the fuel is flooding the cylinders, but I just dont know how. Oh and by the way it has a 2bbl carb.

      Comment

      • gsEnterpries
        Let's go off tonight
        • Mar 2009
        • 118

        #4
        those carbs are the worst thing in the world they allways had problems and allways will.
        -Gary
        1983 Camaro 2.8l not much done yet
        1999 Chevy Prizm - typical bolt-ons

        Comment

        • Joe-Rabe
          1983 Pontiac Firebird
          • May 2009
          • 4

          #5
          I have been told it is a good possibility the carb float is sticking. Does anyone think that might be the problem?

          Comment

          • gsEnterpries
            Let's go off tonight
            • Mar 2009
            • 118

            #6
            sounds like it could be. easy thing to do is get yourself a haynes or chilton repair manual and a carb rebuild kit and go to town.
            -Gary
            1983 Camaro 2.8l not much done yet
            1999 Chevy Prizm - typical bolt-ons

            Comment

            • Joe-Rabe
              1983 Pontiac Firebird
              • May 2009
              • 4

              #7
              Yeppers

              Thats what I was thinking as well. One question I have is does anyone know what type of tool I need to get my carb off? There is very little clearance on the attaching bolts to my intake manifold. I tried with standard sockets and they wont fit even short ones. And there is very little clearance between the carb and the thermostat.

              Comment

              • pocket-rocket
                Because stock sucks...
                • Oct 2003
                • 6252

                #8
                A combination wrench would probably be your friend here.
                -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                Originally posted by Jay Leno
                Tires are cheap clutches...

                Comment

                Working...