What metal to use?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • geoffinbc
    Iron Head Enthusiast
    • Oct 2003
    • 5831

    #1

    What metal to use?

    I am mounting my remote filter soon and it will be fairly close to the exhaust. It is not something I can avoid it is the best and most convienent location to mount it. Also it is no closer to the exhust now then the stock filter is when mounted on its adaptor.

    However even though it is no closer than stock I want to shield it a little. But what is the best metal to use? Stainless or Aluminum?

    Aluminum absorbs and throws off heat faster. But is this what I want? Something that absorbs the heat? Or do I use stainless since it should be a better reflector and any heat that hits it will be bounced back. I could also use some plastic products like polycarbonate is it would be better. Is there one simple answer?

    Maybe I'll try and fins some starter sheilds and see what the companies make them from
    1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
    1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
    Because... I am, CANADIAN
  • geoffinbc
    Iron Head Enthusiast
    • Oct 2003
    • 5831

    #2
    Well it seems split

    Moroso makes theres shields out of a heat resistant material sandwiched between aluminum
    Mr. Gasket makes there out of Aluminum
    Summit ones are Stainless

    What do you guys think?
    1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
    1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
    Because... I am, CANADIAN

    Comment

    • sharkey
      • Jun 2004
      • 2061

      #3
      a heat sheild is a heat sheild. ive made them out of aluminum in the past and had no problems. something is going to be a lot better than nothing.

      Comment

      • geoffinbc
        Iron Head Enthusiast
        • Oct 2003
        • 5831

        #4
        Well either material if free to me and so is the brake pressing. So I just want whats best.
        1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
        1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
        Because... I am, CANADIAN

        Comment

        • gboogie99
          they still can't catch me
          • Nov 2005
          • 348

          #5
          well if you can get both, use both and just sandwhich them together

          Comment

          Working...