Water/Meth Injection Questions
Collapse
X
-
i found this browsing on youtube.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F51xy...eature=related
-
It might corrode the exhaust tip, ooohh....lolOriginally posted by robertisaar View Postconsidering that the methanol doesn't just hang around in the engine, i wouldn't see it having enough time to start corroding anything.
haha, a small price to pay for the power I desire.
Leave a comment:
-
I plan to go 2-Bar map soon to get rid of the MAF. I may even go Megasquirt just because I can....I believe MS has the ability to control meth injection via boost levels, throttle, ect.Originally posted by AleroB888 View PostI saw corrosion in the tubing near the MAF sensor, even though I was injecting slightly downstream from it, and some made its way through the throttle shaft to the TPS. I had a couple TPS's fail when using it a few years ago, none since. I think it would do some harm to a MAF sensor, don't know about the turbine shaft assembly. In any case, I'd go with stainless tubing if you use it.
Another thing is, how are you so certain the methanol isn't condensing in the intercooler (or turbo), if the system is sealed up? You have a filter installed, and couplers in place.
I doubt the compressor will suffer from a liquid build up. The force of the flow will strip anything off the walls and blades easily. The only thing I can see sticking is carbon coked on from oil superheated. And even then seafoam will weaken it a strip it off the walls during the next WOT.
The TPS can be protected with some sealing around the sensor before install. I never did that but it seems simple enough. I do know the TPS is very sensitive to water. Water penetration will screw up a TPS fast. Even a very hard rain can mess w/ a TPS. It has happened to me once before.
I am considering applying a rough texture to the intake lines once I decide to install the water/meth injection. It should really help keep the stuff off the walls and place it where it belongs.
btw, windshield washer fluid might be hazardous (benzene) is present in many window cleaners. Even Windex has benzene in it. Benzene is VERY Carcinogenic. It would be wise to not breath in window washer fluid in any application. If you are misting it, be sure not to breath it over time, you may regret it.
Leave a comment:
-
I saw corrosion in the tubing near the MAF sensor, even though I was injecting slightly downstream from it, and some made its way through the throttle shaft to the TPS. I had a couple TPS's fail when using it a few years ago, none since. I think it would do some harm to a MAF sensor, don't know about the turbine shaft assembly. In any case, I'd go with stainless tubing if you use it.Originally posted by Joseph Upson View PostSo is ethanol although less than methanol and water a by product of combustion. Regular oil changes and absence of leaks should prevent any problems. Another candid observation is the absence of complaints on corrosion by those using water/meth injection in general discussion about the subject.
Another thing is, how are you so certain the methanol isn't condensing in the intercooler (or turbo), if the system is sealed up? You have a filter installed, and couplers in place.
Leave a comment:
-
considering that the methanol doesn't just hang around in the engine, i wouldn't see it having enough time to start corroding anything.
Leave a comment:
-
Guest repliedSo is ethanol although less than methanol and water a by product of combustion. Regular oil changes and absence of leaks should prevent any problems. Another candid observation is the absence of complaints on corrosion by those using water/meth injection in general discussion about the subject.Originally posted by AleroB888 View PostCandid observation #1:
Methanol is highly corrosive.
Leave a comment:
-
considering how much methanol is needed to change AFRs signifiantly, i'm not surprised.
Leave a comment:
-
Guest repliedYeah but, from what I've read it's not all that beneficial for the added hassle involved.
Leave a comment:
-
Guest repliedI just received my extra nozzles from McMaster Carr today at $4.88 each and they look every bit as good as the ones in my Snow kit at about $25 each. Now that I think about it, instead of ordering the full cone spray pattern I probably should have gone with the hollow cone spray pattern since I'll have it pointed straight at the compressor wheel.
Heck for the price of one Snow Nozzle I could by 6 from McMaster and have one for each cylinder.
Leave a comment:
-
Guest repliedA member on the Fiero forum resently started using pre turbo injection after reading some of the info I posted and is having very good results. I've since read that the higher the meth ratio the lower the turbo outlet temps. A Buick racer reported turbo outlet temps 40 deg below ambient spraying 100% meth.Originally posted by MidnightriderZ24 View Posti ended up using a 5gph nozzle with -40 windshield washer fluid on a 3400 at 15psi. it loved it, smelled good after a few 2-5th pulls.
I know the TGP code has a power enrichment rpm vs. air fuel ratio table that could make it a little easier tuning high mix ratios by leaning the table out some at the upper end. Stock it's 10.4:1 above 5400 rpm, that's pretty rich. I believe I'd be happy if I could get within 20 deg of ambient without the inter cooler, although 40 below is very tempting.
That's an awful lot of power for just 9 psi.
Leave a comment:
-
i ended up using a 5gph nozzle with -40 windshield washer fluid on a 3400 at 15psi. it loved it, smelled good after a few 2-5th pulls.
Leave a comment:
-
Guest repliedThat's one of the reasons for the 50/50 mix, it apparently is not flamable in that ratio or less. If you have it set to come on at a certain boost level you shouldn't have much if any exiting the BOV as it should shut off as soon as pressure drops below the trigger point.Originally posted by FallenZ24 View PostI've been thinking about building a meth/water kit for my Fiero. Im not intercooled and have always wanted to spray pre-turbo. My only concern is my vented BOV releasing a mist of alcohol into a hot engine bay and igniting. I guess I will just recirculate it, but that kinda kills the fun of a turbo car.
JoeCooley
Leave a comment:
-
I've been thinking about building a meth/water kit for my Fiero. Im not intercooled and have always wanted to spray pre-turbo. My only concern is my vented BOV releasing a mist of alcohol into a hot engine bay and igniting. I guess I will just recirculate it, but that kinda kills the fun of a turbo car.
JoeCooley
Leave a comment:

Leave a comment: