3400 turbo.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Guest
    Guest replied
    Like I said, if you are poor go with a Holset. If you want a 35+lb turbo hanging from your engine, go with a holset. If you plan to drive your turbo setup for 500k miles, go with a holset. If you want a turbo designed for a Volvo diesel motor, go with a Holset.

    Leave a comment:


  • hotooimpala
    replied
    Indeed!

    Leave a comment:


  • hotooimpala
    replied
    I just want someone to use it not really my cup of tea even as cool as the design is, btw I am a diesel tech in training so if me one wants to take the leap n try to make one work for a 60v, then I can get good condition VG turbos and I also can tune them and personally believe it wouldn't be horribly hard to dial in, since iv had them apart 15 plus times and have transferred one from an isx to a 3406B which is a largely different power band and hp app and injection system even lol but It was a simple spring and retaining ball swap and it ran like a dream..after a few try's of course

    Leave a comment:


  • MidnightriderZ24
    replied
    Originally posted by bigcheese View Post
    if you are poor, then get a holset. if you want a turbo that will make good power, and doesn't weigh 35 lbs, then get the precision billet turbo. The VGT of a holset is not necessary if you properly size your turbo comp wheel and exh a/r. Besides I haven't seen one person on this site get the VGT to work like factory when installed in their cars which makes it pointless to get it solely for that feature. And remember the holset is 35 lbs. Not worth it.
    or buy a holset thats made to last alot longer than a precision turbo, and still make more power with the cheaper turbo, take that money u saved, buy some beer and get to wrenching and fabbing.

    Leave a comment:


  • Guest
    Guest replied
    if you are poor, then get a holset. if you want a turbo that will make good power, and doesn't weigh 35 lbs, then get the precision billet turbo. The VGT of a holset is not necessary if you properly size your turbo comp wheel and exh a/r. Besides I haven't seen one person on this site get the VGT to work like factory when installed in their cars which makes it pointless to get it solely for that feature. And remember the holset is 35 lbs. Not worth it.

    Leave a comment:


  • pocket-rocket
    replied
    I saw a DSM guy on a forum that was messing with them a while back. He got it cheap off of eBay. Paid like $2-300. The last time I looked at them there they were closing in in the $1k mark...

    Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

    Leave a comment:


  • hotooimpala
    replied
    The VG "variable geometry" turbo is sweet as F, the ability to tune the turbo blade switching valve and combined ability of low end small turbo no lag followed by high end big turbo supra like fun, lol w none of the lag, idk how you could go wrong except for the cost on the VGT

    Leave a comment:


  • pocket-rocket
    replied
    Cummins turbos are made by Holset, and they make good turbos, but they are journal bearing, not ball bearing.

    If you didn't get a variable vane style like the VG series, you can get a brand new HX-35 or larger on eBay for around $250. They aren't always listed so you may have to wait a week and search again.

    I'm going with a Holset when I boost my car.

    Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by pocket-rocket; 03-16-2013, 09:17 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • hotooimpala
    replied
    Just use a cummins VG turbo and run a smaller spring in the oil chamber, then you can have a tiny turbo that turns into a monster trim with the flick of the pedal as oil pressure rises inside your turbo cooling circuit

    Leave a comment:


  • Alxsmt
    replied
    yes, hp in general is lol. you cant ever get enough..

    my pistons are also NA pistons, I talked to JE and they are thinner than pistons built for boost. still better than stock? who knows. the tune will be professionally done.

    is the billet 57 made by percision? http://realstreetperformance.com/sto...ring-2268.html

    I have no issue paying for a high quality turbo, I dont want something that will fall apart and end up in my engine..
    Last edited by Alxsmt; 03-15-2013, 10:38 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • TGP37
    replied
    3psi, 12 psi it all rests on the tune. A bad tune can destroy a 3 psi turbo and a good tune can push up to 10-12 psi on stock internals (though that's pushing it).

    Leave a comment:


  • Guest
    Guest replied
    no need for a $1100 turbo like a 3076 especially with your plans for low boost. Get something with a newer design like a billet wheel in a journal bearing. it will still spool quickly and cost less money.

    Look into a billet 54 or a billet 57 since you plan to keep the boost low which will be lower power output. No need for a larger wheel if you don't plan to run more boost. The 57 will make 550 hp no problem which is more than your plans anyways but it will give you some room to grow if you want.

    Leave a comment:


  • 3400-95-Modified
    replied
    Boost is addicting...

    And so is nitrous... LOL

    Personally I think it would be cooler to make more power N/A but that's just me... It's something I've been contemplating for a while now... I have really been leaning toward a different cam and a change in pistons to bump compression and then back off on the nitrous spray some, or hell leave it the same and put down some 11's LOL I think this year project funds are tied up in the direct port and the cam and such may have to wait till next year.
    Last edited by 3400-95-Modified; 03-15-2013, 09:25 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • pocket-rocket
    replied
    Originally posted by Alxsmt View Post
    yes most people might consider this pointless with such little boost, gotta start somewhere.
    3-5 isn't pointless. If you could get (big if) 1 psi out of a ram air setup, it's still positive pressure you couldn't get otherwise.

    10:1 isn't too high for boost by today's standards. Look at Joseph's build. I think he's around 12:1 on boost.

    Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

    Leave a comment:


  • Alxsmt
    replied
    http://usedturbos.net/Catalog/450-60...rbo-575HP.html really no details on that.. who knows if its water cooled.. or what the map looks like (not that I can really read them lol)

    ive seen your turbo threads, mind explaining the maps a little? or at least how to read them for these engines. garretts website and maximum boost kind of failed to help me understand them

    Leave a comment:

Working...