WTB: small 1 ch amp, low power, 1ohm stable

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • jmgtp
    • Oct 2003
    • 1219

    #1

    WTB: small 1 ch amp, low power, 1ohm stable

    I have a 10" sub out of an Acura that I want to use mounted in the rear deck. I'm not looking for something that thumps hard but just want to add some bass. Looking for a cheap, used, 1channel, 1ohm stable amp to power it. I imagine 30-50 watts would be more than enough power.
    1991 Grand Prix GTP LX9swap/Getrag 284 --- SOLD =(
    1994 Corvette
    LT1/ZF6
    2006 Dodge Dakota 4x4
    3.7/42RLE
  • Lilchief
    • May 2007
    • 87

    #2
    I got a Xtant 1.1i , 100W ,mono channel amp, used but not cheap. Measures 6.5"x5.5"x1.5". Cost well over $200 new. I have several of these and use one to power my 5" subwoofer in my Fiero. P M me if interested.

    Comment

    • jmgtp
      • Oct 2003
      • 1219

      #3
      Yah, that sounds like it would be more than I want to spend. Don't need much power, looking for something small, cheap to power a very thin low power sub.
      1991 Grand Prix GTP LX9swap/Getrag 284 --- SOLD =(
      1994 Corvette
      LT1/ZF6
      2006 Dodge Dakota 4x4
      3.7/42RLE

      Comment

      • ForcedFirebird
        Live life 3.7mi at a time
        • Jan 2007
        • 4555

        #4
        There aren't many true 1ohm stable amps, never mind cheap.

        Why do you need 1ohm? What's the resistance on the sub you are using?
        Links:
        WOT-Tech.com
        FaceBook
        Instagram

        Comment

        • jmgtp
          • Oct 2003
          • 1219

          #5
          the resistance on the sub is 1 ohm.
          1991 Grand Prix GTP LX9swap/Getrag 284 --- SOLD =(
          1994 Corvette
          LT1/ZF6
          2006 Dodge Dakota 4x4
          3.7/42RLE

          Comment

          • bszopi
            Site Coder
            • Apr 2000
            • 9190

            #6
            Yeah, 1 ohm stable and cheap don't go together. That, and 1 ohm stable and lower power usually don't go together either.

            Although I'm not willing to sell it, I have a 2x25w amp that is 0.25ohm stable and it ran me close to $600 back in the early 90s. I love that amp...
            -Brad-
            89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power

            Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

            Comment

            • Scott205
              • Jun 2005
              • 265

              #7
              Having been in the car and home audio business for 10 years and now working for Honda, I would have to say you are trying to do this the hard way. this will give you a thin woofer and deeper bass, but not much of it. Basically what they are trying to do by making this 1 ohm is give it a lot more power by driving the amp harder (more noise and distortion) which isn't noticed as much with bass, but is noticable.

              If you do go this route probably the cheapest amp you can buy that is one-ohm stable will be the crunch p1000... around $150. But you will probably shred the flimsy sub if you crank it up to much, and I doubt you will be impressed with it. It will probably sound hollow, not deep or tight.
              2014 Chevy Cruise LT
              2000 Kawasaki ZX-6R Ninja Motorcycle

              Comment

              • Scott205
                • Jun 2005
                • 265

                #8
                Originally posted by bszopi View Post
                Although I'm not willing to sell it, I have a 2x25w amp that is 0.25ohm stable and it ran me close to $600 back in the early 90s. I love that amp...
                Hmmm, I am thinking it must be a Soundstream or A/D/S
                2014 Chevy Cruise LT
                2000 Kawasaki ZX-6R Ninja Motorcycle

                Comment

                • ForcedFirebird
                  Live life 3.7mi at a time
                  • Jan 2007
                  • 4555

                  #9
                  Originally posted by Scott205 View Post
                  Hmmm, I am thinking it must be a Soundstream or A/D/S

                  Precision and Phoenix were big back then too with their low imp/low power
                  Links:
                  WOT-Tech.com
                  FaceBook
                  Instagram

                  Comment

                  • bszopi
                    Site Coder
                    • Apr 2000
                    • 9190

                    #10
                    Originally posted by Scott205 View Post
                    Hmmm, I am thinking it must be a Soundstream or A/D/S
                    Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                    Precision and Phoenix were big back then too with their low imp/low power
                    Wrong and wrong. Orion 225HCCA. At one point I had it running an entire audio system, composed of 10 speakers, including a center channel and rear fill, all through a custom built (and HUGE) passive crossover network.
                    -Brad-
                    89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power

                    Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

                    Comment

                    • jmgtp
                      • Oct 2003
                      • 1219

                      #11
                      so am I on a hopeless endeavor?

                      The reason I went with that sub is because it is very similar to the setup in my Mazda which has the factory Bose system and I love it. It doesn't thump the ground but adds just the right amount of bass, it can give the mirrors a good shake and you can certainly feel it. So I found this sub, which is from an Acura Bose system, for dirt cheap and figured this may be worth a shot for the GP.

                      I still have a set of 12"s floating around my parents basement somewhere from years ago, but I'm not into the big bass and no trunk space anymore.
                      1991 Grand Prix GTP LX9swap/Getrag 284 --- SOLD =(
                      1994 Corvette
                      LT1/ZF6
                      2006 Dodge Dakota 4x4
                      3.7/42RLE

                      Comment

                      • Scott205
                        • Jun 2005
                        • 265

                        #12
                        Originally posted by bszopi View Post
                        Wrong and wrong. Orion 225HCCA. At one point I had it running an entire audio system, composed of 10 speakers, including a center channel and rear fill, all through a custom built (and HUGE) passive crossover network.
                        AHHH... well the problem is you said it was .25 ohm stable.. the 225HCCA isn't.. it is 1/2 ohm stable or .5 You could only bridge them down to 1 ohm or have each side at .5 Ohm... which sounds like you were pretty close with 5 speakers on each side.. I bought a soundstream amp a couple years back.. still haven't gotten it in the car... they were great for the power side becuase you could drop them ridiculous low ohmage and they were making 1 and 2 ohm speakers.. but when you hook them to 4 ohms wow... they are as clean as a baby's backside!

                        S
                        2014 Chevy Cruise LT
                        2000 Kawasaki ZX-6R Ninja Motorcycle

                        Comment

                        • bszopi
                          Site Coder
                          • Apr 2000
                          • 9190

                          #13
                          I'll need to dig up my owner's manual, but I am pretty sure the year one I have (first year they went to the new logo, so 91-92??) is 1/4 ohm stable.
                          -Brad-
                          89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power

                          Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

                          Comment

                          • Scott205
                            • Jun 2005
                            • 265

                            #14
                            They were taking advantage of the fact that they were NEARLY 1/4 stable and most speakers aren't 4 ohms.. usually around 3.8-5.6... tweeters could be as low as 20ohms but they still call the 4 for the power handling part
                            2014 Chevy Cruise LT
                            2000 Kawasaki ZX-6R Ninja Motorcycle

                            Comment

                            • Scott205
                              • Jun 2005
                              • 265

                              #15
                              Originally posted by jmgtp View Post
                              so am I on a hopeless endeavor?

                              The reason I went with that sub is because it is very similar to the setup in my Mazda which has the factory Bose system and I love it. It doesn't thump the ground but adds just the right amount of bass, it can give the mirrors a good shake and you can certainly feel it. So I found this sub, which is from an Acura Bose system, for dirt cheap and figured this may be worth a shot for the GP.

                              I still have a set of 12"s floating around my parents basement somewhere from years ago, but I'm not into the big bass and no trunk space anymore.
                              no, not hopeless.. but you should plan to spend around 200 on the Crunch amp, and install it correctly... sound will be similar to bose.... because as we used to say.. "No Highs, no Lows.. must be BOSE!"

                              I will say this.. A single good 8" woofer in a small box, being driven by a 100-250w subwoofer amp (class d) will blow the set up you are doing away
                              2014 Chevy Cruise LT
                              2000 Kawasaki ZX-6R Ninja Motorcycle

                              Comment

                              Working...