4T60E sounds like it's dying!

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • dohcpower
    • Dec 2004
    • 5

    #1

    4T60E sounds like it's dying!

    The problem started a while back when i would accelerate, it would sound really whiny in the 3k rpm range. I recently had the fuel rail off and replaced a leaky fuel injector, and when i started the car back up (car had sat for about 2wks), the whining noise got severe to the point where it almost sounds like a gear grinding noise. My shifts out of park used to be really smooth, but now the whole car jerks suddenly when i shift. I was thinking maybe the vacuum modulator? But I really don't know too much about trannies. Any ideas?
  • Quinky
    • May 2004
    • 159

    #2
    RE: 4T60E sounds like it

    sounds like a pump or converter whine...

    Comment

    • dohcpower
      • Dec 2004
      • 5

      #3
      Took the modulator off last night and it is bad. Gonna put a new one on from advance, see if that doesn't take care of the problem. How would I know if my converter/pump was bad? Any ways to test? I'm guessing those are not cheap parts either.

      Comment

      • ko0t3rskkar
        • Sep 2004
        • 39

        #4
        You sure its not one of the acessories? Ps pump ,alt., wp? Rough shifts can be a sign of bad motor mounts too.
        If the pump in the tranny is bad theres not much you can do besides rebuild the whole thing.
        1989 Chevy Corsica LTZ
        2.8L 60° v6
        5 speed

        Comment

        • dohcpower
          • Dec 2004
          • 5

          #5
          Got the modulator in today. Minimal difference, if any at all. Also picked up a filter kit - installed it with much hassle (part of the old filter broke off inside the tranny). Can't test 'til tomorrow, ran out of D3. The gasket seal for the pan didn't look too good, and it looks like the filter may have been plugged, as the fluid did not flow through freely. If I need a converter or a pump, screw the auto - I'm goin for a 5spd!

          Comment

          • dohcpower
            • Dec 2004
            • 5

            #6
            Got the fluid in - took care of the noise! Now I have another thing to ponder - why is she shifting so rough? When I go from park to reverse, the whole car turbo-jerks backwards with my foot on the brake. When I'm going down the road, I can feel the car jerk every gear change. Are my shifts supposed to be this firm??? I've driven my dad's 96 Cutlass Supreme with a 3100, and his is so smooth you don't even notice it shifting at all. Mine's a 92 with the 3.4, there shouldn't be that much of a difference should there? Any ideas?

            Comment

            • Quinky
              • May 2004
              • 159

              #7
              no it shouldn't shift that rough.. Check your mounts but I doubt they will be the cause of something that ruff...

              What was the inside of your pan like when you pulled it off?

              Comment

              • dohcpower
                • Dec 2004
                • 5

                #8
                The pan looked clean at first glance, but when I washed it up it looked a lot shinier, but there was a lot of gunk buildup on the magnet, looked like grease.

                Comment

                • Quinky
                  • May 2004
                  • 159

                  #9
                  humm to bad I you didn't have pictures of it... I wouldn't know what to say...

                  your banging though sounds like an internal problem.. The whining was probley cause by the filter being clogged by clutch material, thats why its gone away now.. If that was the case then something it coming apart inside your transmission..

                  Comment

                  • 93luminaz34
                    • Apr 2004
                    • 46

                    #10
                    My tranny had that hard shift out of park problem, and it ended up being internal. I kept driving it until one day, it wouldn't shift into gear until the tranny warmed up for a couple minutes. The valve body was the culprit, but I had the whole thing rebuilt while it was out.

                    Comment

                    • slick94prix
                      • Jan 2005
                      • 201

                      #11
                      Did you get an adjustable vacuum modulator?
                      1992 Miata B Package
                      1995 Regal 3100
                      1996 Firebird LT1 T56

                      Comment

                      Working...