where and wat tranny can i get for my 99 3.4 turbo grand am

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • turboga
    • Feb 2005
    • 21

    #1

    where and wat tranny can i get for my 99 3.4 turbo grand am

    whats up guys?.....does anyone know what and where i can get a manual tranny for my 99 3.4 turbo grand am. I heard that a chevy lumina z34 tranny bolts rite up. If you can help me out i would appreciate it. thanks
    -Brian
  • bszopi
    Site Coder
    • Apr 2000
    • 9190

    #2
    RE: where and wat tranny can i get for my 99 3.4 turbo grand

    I'm quessing you want to know about a manual tranny and not an auto...?
    -Brad-
    89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power

    Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

    Comment

    • turboga
      • Feb 2005
      • 21

      #3
      lol yea....sorry i should put that in....yea im lookin for a manual tranny

      Comment

      • bszopi
        Site Coder
        • Apr 2000
        • 9190

        #4
        Getrag 282 is your best best. The one you mentioned from a z34 is a 284 and it'd be a really tight fit getting it in there, let alone finding one in good shape for a far price. The 282 can be found in pretty much any V6 5-spd from like 87-94.
        -Brad-
        89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power

        Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

        Comment

        • turboga
          • Feb 2005
          • 21

          #5
          its a direct bolt on? will it handle boost?

          Comment

          • bszopi
            Site Coder
            • Apr 2000
            • 9190

            #6
            Yes and yes. If you want to see one in boosted form, head over to www.turboz24.com and you'll see what it can handle. Although he has broken the tranny a couple times, I think he's broken the axles even more.
            -Brad-
            89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power

            Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

            Comment

            • turboga
              • Feb 2005
              • 21

              #7
              well im only runnin 10psi so.....but thanks alot...wat cars are they out of and are they expensive?

              Comment

              • sharkey
                • Jun 2004
                • 2061

                #8
                a getrag 282 is the 5 speed behind any 2.8 or 3.1l gen 2 motor. j l n and w bodies all got them, so cavaliers, sunbirds, beretta, grand prix, grand am, lumina, ect

                Comment

                • turboga
                  • Feb 2005
                  • 21

                  #9
                  alright thanks guys alot for everything....

                  Comment

                  • skalor
                    • Nov 2003
                    • 95

                    #10
                    Are you the guy that I meet at the Island Dragway?? I was driving my 5 speed Turbo Grand Prix if you don't remember me. Anyways, I would use a getrag 282 if I were you as the parts are so much cheaper that getrag 284 parts. Plus, they are much more readily available because they were used in a variety of cars mentioned above. I would look into DHP Powertuner so that you can reflash the pcm. DHP can probably just do a blind tune as they're usually pretty good with stuff like that. Got any pictures of the setup?? If your the same I guy, I remember something about a DSM turbo??
                    \'89 Ciera Int. Coupe
                    \'89 TGP

                    Comment

                    • turboga
                      • Feb 2005
                      • 21

                      #11
                      yea i was the kid..my name is brian.....wats up man?.....trying to find a manual tranny cuz my auto tranny is ready to drop any minute...haha

                      Comment

                      • turboga
                        • Feb 2005
                        • 21

                        #12
                        i have pics......but im not gonna post them here.....my aol screen name is xvracingGAT or my email is absolute180@hotmail.com

                        Comment

                        • turboga
                          • Feb 2005
                          • 21

                          #13
                          for this tranny do i need axles or anything.......am i going to need any extra parts or just the normal things for a manual tranny?

                          Comment

                          • JamesonGT282
                            • Jan 2005
                            • 208

                            #14
                            I did a tranny swap and the basics should be no problem, but I am unsure of axles. On my car 5spd axles were out there, but there are no factory axles available for you.....BUT you could get 5spd axles with ABS in Alero 2.4 5spds, so perhaps those would work for you?
                            '91 Beretta GT 282 swap GONE

                            '98 BMW M Roadster stage 2+ boosted

                            '06 Saab 9-5 wagon 5mt tuned

                            '11 Saab 9-3 XWD tuned

                            Comment

                            • turboga
                              • Feb 2005
                              • 21

                              #15
                              well im not gonna be racin the car......its a show car. I did the turbo just for the hell of it....im goin to run it at the track a few times but like i said its a show car.....i am just doin the 5spd cuz my tranny is done for......i hope and dont think illl have problems with the axels

                              Comment

                              Working...