94 Skylark 3.1 Floods & Wont Start

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • technovative
    • Oct 2010
    • 3

    #1

    94 Skylark 3.1 Floods & Wont Start

    I'm working on a 94 Buick Skylark with a 3.1L V6. The intake manifold gaskets were leaking which caused the engine to overheat. After the engine cooled down the engine started and I was able to drive the car around the block to where I'm working on it. I intended to just replace the intake gaskets but decided to replace the timing cover, and head gaskets as well. There was no evidence of coolant in the oil but a leakdown test revealed cross cylinder, and coolant passage leaks in the head gaskets. I had the heads surfaced and reassembled everything with new gaskets, and head bolts following torque specs. While the timing cover was off I inspected the chain and sprockets and found them to be in good shape. Unfortunately the engine wont start, it cranks and tries to start but backfires or coughs and stalls. After extensive testing I have determined that it is a flooding problem.
    • I have tested all sensors/wiring and confirmed they are good.
    • The ignition system checks out.
    • All injectors are good and receiving pulses.
    • The fuel pump and lines check out.
    • All cylinders have good compression.


    Any suggestions?
    Last edited by technovative; 10-26-2010, 11:07 PM.
  • 86FieroSEv6
    • Feb 2010
    • 527

    #2
    Is the fuel pressure regulator diaphragm blown? Pull the vacuum hose off and see if fuel comes out.

    If you ain't rock and roll, you must be driving a Honda

    Comment

    • technovative
      • Oct 2010
      • 3

      #3
      Originally posted by 86FieroSEv6 View Post
      Is the fuel pressure regulator diaphragm blown? Pull the vacuum hose off and see if fuel comes out.
      The pressure regulator is good. It's an ECM problem. Thanks for the suggestion.

      Comment

      • mra32
        91 Lumina LHO
        • Jul 2006
        • 6

        #4
        My 91 LHO lumina had similar issues out of the blue, not after maintenance and the ECM was at fault. A new one cleared the issues up
        Mike A.

        COP SEATS
        COP BRAKES
        COP HEADLIGHTS aus deuchland
        COP SHOCKS
        COP SUNGLASSES
        what do you say? is it the new elfmobile?

        Comment

        Working...