Torque to Yield?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Aurora By Olds
    • Apr 2004
    • 5

    #1

    Torque to Yield?

    Im currently doing a head swap on a '92 3.1 VIN T
    I bought a gasket set through CarQuest a few weeks ago, and the guy told me it would be coming with new bolts. I asked if it was cause they were torque to yield or something because of the aluminum heads, and he was like "I dunno."
    SO, I go to put the heads on today, open the box, and theres no bolts in this head set.
    They look similar to the torque to yield bolts that came out of my Northstar, so Im leary of re-using them.
    So am I supposed to have new bolts, or are they ok to re-use?
  • RacerX11
    • Oct 2003
    • 1060

    #2
    They are designed as torque-to-yield, and you are SUPPOSED to replace them, but many people have resused them one or more times with no problems. It is really up to you. A new set of bolts isn't too expensive (I think I paid ~$35).

    Marty
    '99 Z-28 - Weekend Driver
    '98 Dodge Neon - Winter Beater
    '84 X-11 - Time and Money Pit
    '88 Fiero Formula - Bone stock for now

    Quote of the week:
    Originally posted by Aaron
    This is why I don't build crappy headers. I'm not sure, I don't know too much about welding.

    Comment

    • musthavemuzk
      • Feb 2004
      • 27

      #3
      well if it was supposed to come with bolts i would be sure to get them since you paid for them.

      this is my project soon. to replace head gaskets on my 90 cutlass 3.1

      Monty

      Comment

      • bszopi
        Site Coder
        • Apr 2000
        • 9190

        #4
        I've never seen the bolts come with a head gasket set. I've always had to buy them seperately.
        -Brad-
        89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power

        Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

        Comment

        • geoffinbc
          Iron Head Enthusiast
          • Oct 2003
          • 5831

          #5
          Originally posted by bszopi
          I've never seen the bolts come with a head gasket set. I've always had to buy them seperately.
          I agree. Bolts usually never come with gaskets. Unless you specifically buy a "kit"
          1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
          1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
          Because... I am, CANADIAN

          Comment

          • GladwinJay
            • Apr 2004
            • 17

            #6
            This may save you some time....
            Part #ES74018 (Fel Pro) $23 at Auto Zone

            Comment

            • Aurora By Olds
              • Apr 2004
              • 5

              #7
              Originally posted by betterthanyou
              Originally posted by bszopi
              I've never seen the bolts come with a head gasket set. I've always had to buy them seperately.
              I agree. Bolts usually never come with gaskets. Unless you specifically buy a "kit"
              Yeah, it was a kit, and we were told there would be bolts ordered with the set. Knowing this carquest, the box of bolts are probably laying on the shelf with my name on them, and no one cares to tell me.
              I'll probably check back tomorrow if I can get a hold of the slip...it's in Chicago, I'm 6 hours north.

              Comment

              Working...