Dumb question re: head bolts....

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • mfuller
    Mr. Common Sense
    • Nov 2003
    • 374

    #1

    Dumb question re: head bolts....

    I know Brad and Ben will give me hell over this, but what order to the head bolts on a LA1 go in? I know the tightening sequence, but there are 4 longer bolts and 4 shorter bolts per head....which bolts go where? I vaguely remember that the shorter bolts were all closest to the vee, but I need to be sure.
    Matt
    2000 Oldsmobile Alero GLS sedan
    3400/3500 hybrid, Diamond Racing forged pistons, Scat I-beams, TCE DRTC, ported heads, WOT Race cam, PAC 1518s, Manley valves, F40 6-speed with Quaife LSD
  • pepsi_coke
    • Sep 2004
    • 288

    #2
    New member of 200,000 mile club as of May 16, 2005

    Comment

    • bszopi
      Site Coder
      • Apr 2000
      • 9190

      #3
      Give you hell... ha! Take a look at the head and see which side is taller. The taller side needs the longer head bolts. I can't remember off the top of my head which side is which. I am thinking though that the ones inside the valve covers are longer...

      Just start sticking them in the holes. If they hit the head before you start tightening them, then you have a short one where a long one needs to go.
      -Brad-
      89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power

      Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

      Comment

      • RajWD
        • Jan 2005
        • 16

        #4
        (aims at forehead)..................

        <SMACK>
        0M94$$r@p3tehn00b

        That\'s right, repping the e-thugs of the world.

        Comment

        Working...