Ostrich 2.0 + Socket Booster issues!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ostrich 2.0 + Socket Booster issues!

Let me provide some background info of my setup.

I'm currently using an Ostrich 2.0 and Socket Booster trying to emulate a 2732A on a 7170 ECM using TunerProRT v5. The Socket Booster is connected to a 24 pin socket that is soldered into the ECM. I have the 4 unused pins of the ribbon cable at the red stripe end.

+++Here's what's happening: +++

It seems the emulator will not work without the USB cable connected to the laptop.

When I start the car without it connected to the USB the Check Engine light turns on and I get no ALDL data.

If I connect the emulator to USB on my laptop, I’m able to start the car without problems; I get ALDL data and a PROM error.

+++What I have done/checked: +++

- I can connect and upload a bin to the Ostrich with no issue.

- I can successfully run the “Verify the emulator RAM contents with current BIN” with Tuner Pro.

- I performed a reset of the Ostrich with the DORESET app. Problem persist.

- I verified the pin setting on my Ostrich and problem occurs in both 28 pin and 24 pin emulation.

- I switched between 28 pin and 24 pin on the Socket Booster and problem still occurs.

- The “Test for Valid Interface Settings” of the ALDL on Tuner Pro always fails either with USB connected or not.

- I can put a stock chip in the same 7170, and I do not get a prom error, and I get ALDL data. The engine starts and everything seems to work fine except the tune is not set for the injectors currently installed.

- I have updated the firmware in the Ostrich, with no effect on the problems.

No matter what I do I can't get ALDL data without the Ostrich being connected to USB.

Could this be due to a bad socket booster? Is there anything else I could try?

I haven't emulated that chip or used that computer, but I do know that the shorter the cable between the ostrich box and the socket, the better. We had some issues with data tracing when using the longer of the 2 cables we have here and I am not sure what to think of a booster other than you are using it due to a long ribbon cable.

There is no reason for the USB to be needed. Once you flash the ostrich, it is the chip. Something doesn't sound right with that aspect of your problem.
    Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Ben, the Socket Booster is required to successfully emulate the older 2732A chip. I do have the shorter ribbon cable between the Ostrich and the socket and I am able to successfully emulate with the Ostrich connected to the USB.

What I don't understand is two things:
      1- Why do I get the Prom Error (Code 51). Could this be related to the "Disable checksum" feature? I don't see the checkmark on TunerPro V5
      2- Why can't I datalog without having the Ostrich connected to the USB. Is this normal on certain old ECUs?

Comment

Ok, I found the solution to the PROM error code issue. It seems the .BIN file I got has problems. I got me a fresh .BIN, copied the tables I changed from the problematic .BIN to the newer one and no more PROM error with Ostrich connected to USB.

Now, I think the second problem of not being able to datalog without the Ostrich connected to the USB port is related to the 24 pin DIP socket I soldered. I noticed there are some pins with what looks to be a cold solder. I'll resolder it today and test it to see if that fixes the problems.

Comment

Here are some updates to my situation.

I resoldered all pins on the 24-pin socket and that didin't clear the issue. I then proceeded to contact the Moates support team and explained them my situation. In the end I had to send my Ostrich (RMA) as it seems it was defective.

Got my new Ostrich two days ago and it's working perfectly. No more Code 51 with or without it connected to USB.

I love this thing! Coupled with TunerPro v5 makes it so easy to tune the car. I can't believe how far off was the mail tune chip I previously had.

Comment

Good deal I plan on picking up an Ostrich this spring/summer since I'm making some top end changes to my car this year. I hear nothing but good things about Craig Moates and his service.
            -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
            91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
            92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
            94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
            Originally posted by Jay Leno
            Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Originally posted by yeyo_racing View Post
              Here are some updates to my situation.

I resoldered all pins on the 24-pin socket and that didin't clear the issue. I then proceeded to contact the Moates support team and explained them my situation. In the end I had to send my Ostrich (RMA) as it seems it was defective.

Got my new Ostrich two days ago and it's working perfectly. No more Code 51 with or without it connected to USB.

I love this thing! Coupled with TunerPro v5 makes it so easy to tune the car. I can't believe how far off was the mail tune chip I previously had.
              Mail tunes for obd1 are soooo terrible! Glad you got it ironed out.
              Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

Working...
              X