X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fasteddi
    replied
    Update

I rewired the fuel rail to fit my injector connectors, cleaned up the intakes and gave them some coats of hi temp paint as those were horribly dirty.
    I've began to start buying parts.

I got a 3.4L new 7x trigger sensor on the way, a new rfl blow off valve. The old one was past its days.. Also a delta 272 cam/lifters and a new timing chain set. Im still aiming to take the block to the mach. shop after christmas to get it bored over .030. The shops getting the pistons and such as they are selling them to me cheeper then I can buy them from anywhere on the net. I plan on just going to a JY for the 3.4L camaro alt bracket once I get a nice non snowing day...

Leave a comment:

• Superdave
    replied
    Originally posted by Maverick H1L View Post
    (if the rockers are roller fulcrum they're 1.6... pre-96 used the usual 1.5:1 stamped rockers).
    Actually, Pre-96 gen 3's are also 1.6, just ball fulcrum like the gen 2's and Gen 1's had.

It's a popular upgrade for the gen 2 guys.

Leave a comment:

• fasteddi
    replied
    Ok mav. Ill check out your page.

Yea I would part with the delta cam and lifters to match. I have 2 stock cams still in case i ever need a core.

Leave a comment:

• Maverick H1L
    replied
    Look for my engine build thread on TGO... The pushrod sizes are in there.

If you insist on doing it yourself, however, get the Comp checker listed in the WOT-Tech pages (you will need to go there anyways for the pushrods).

Keep in mind the STOCK 1996+ rocker arms on the 3x00 series are 1.6:1 ratio and not 1.5 like on your current heads (if the rockers are roller fulcrum they're 1.6... pre-96 used the usual 1.5:1 stamped rockers).

Might call Summit and make sure those pistons have the 28cc dish otherwise your compression will give you fits with the turbo.

:edit: Would you be willing to part with the old Delta cam when you don't need it any more?
    Last edited by Maverick H1L; 12-11-2013, 09:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• fasteddi
    replied
    After Christmas I plan to get my pistons, also I plan to take the block to the shop to get bored/honed...exc once i have those pistons in hand.

Are these pistons correct? There for all passenger cars 3100's. Im planning on boring the cylinders out to .030 over. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sl...make/chevrolet

Also I currently have delta260 cam but opted to get a 272 grind from them. The lift will be upwards of .500 and a tad more on the other side. Im looking to get a set of yellow ls6 springs to match the cam and take the lift.
    Last edited by fasteddi; 12-11-2013, 06:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• fasteddi
    replied
    Back to the custom push rods. Im going to purchase a push rod mesurement tool but have no idea what size of length im looking at. There a few different adjustable tools ranging in lengths. If I was to get 6.125-7.50 inch tool would that work or would i want a shorter one? This is for the 3.1L Gen1 block and a Delta cam 260 grind cam and lifter set with the 3400 gen 3 heads atop. Im not sure what the preload on the lifters should be as of yet but regardless i just need to know a range of what it will be so i can pick up the tool. Thanks again everyone!!

Leave a comment:

• Superdave
    replied
    You should be able to use the Comp springs with your locks and retainers from the Gen 1 heads (guessing they are standard springs and not beehives).

Just make sure you have enough valve tip exposed so that the rocker doesn't rub the retainer.

Leave a comment:

• fasteddi
    replied
    Made some progress today working on the Impala. Went pretty well. But tearing stuff apart usually does. Next step it to get the Camaro block out and get it ready for new pistons.

Any suggestions on what springs I should get for the heads? I run up to 6500Rpm at the racetrack with a delta 260 grind cam. I just don't want to run into valve float. Would some Ls1 behi. stockers be ok and take the abuse? Or can I still use the comp cams stuff I have on my gen 1 heads. Those springs, retain, and locks are fresh and Id love to use them!

Last edited by fasteddi; 11-29-2013, 09:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• fasteddi
    replied
    That's a great write up, I'm not sure how I missed that one since it was on TGO. Makes sense to me. You definitely answered all the questions i had about the DIS conversion. Thanks

Leave a comment:

• caffeine
    replied
    And if you're building your own you might as well use the FWD sensor since it's apparently cheaper and sends the same signal.

Leave a comment:

• caffeine
    replied
    For the crank sensor mount it's probably easiest to build the mount a bit closer than necessary and just shim as necessary. I know when I build things they rarely come out perfectly the first try .

Leave a comment:

• Maverick H1L
    replied
    Well, you see those 3 notches in the outer ring of the damper? Those need to be made 1/4" wide (otherwise you will need to fill them with some metal to avoid confusing the module and start from scratch). And then you add 3 between them (every 60* around the perimeter). Keeping in mind that the damper is at TDC with the keyway UP, place the 7th sync notch 10* away from the notch you choose to be the #1 cylinder, I believe it's counterclockwise, but I'll have to check.

Wheel pic here: http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/v6...rong-your.html

Oh, and, literally, put the 7x sensor about the width of a folded playing card away from the trigger wheel. Think of an ignition coil in a lawn mower... Almost the same deal.
    Last edited by Maverick H1L; 11-25-2013, 08:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• fasteddi
    replied
    You just saved me a ton of headache. Id rather just make my own bracket for the cost savings if i don't mess it up as I only have one damper left. I would assume that there are 6 equal spread notches on the damper. Is there a distance between the damper and the sensor that is crutial? Do I just aim for 1/4" gap or get it as close to the damper as i can without it hitting? Thanks again!
    Last edited by fasteddi; 11-25-2013, 08:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Maverick H1L
    replied
    Trust me, the FWD 7x sensor is TOO SHORT, by about a half inch. The sensor goes into the bracket, but you will need to pull the mounting ring off and rotate it on the sensor approximately 90* or the belt may cut the 7x wiring. You will also need to lengthen the 7x wiring a few inches to accomodate the fact that the sensor isn't a straight drop down the side of the block any more (actually, you can get away with the wiring as is but it MAY need to be lengthened a bit).

Also, I told you to use the Camaro 3.4 alternator bracket... ONLY if you want to make your own bracket for the 7x sensor. The alternator bracket covers the upper mounting hole for the BCC 7x bracket and its bolt goes into the bottom one. I took a piece of old road sign aluminum and made my own bracket (slight offset from where it should be but it's running fine). If you do choose to go with the 3.4 alternator bracket, I would recommend to skip the BCC kit altogether as they only cut notches into the outer ring of the damper anyways (which is why I needed the one you had for sale since they screwed up their damper and I cut my spare wrong), which you can do with a grinding wheel on a grinder. And then you can put the 7x wherever you need to.

:edit: But DO buy the BCC thermostat housing. And, now that I've looked at the AutoZone link, the one you have linked is the 24x, which is for the ECM ONLY. You need the other one with the 2-prong plug (long cylinder with a plug on the end and a metal pin on the other).

There are other small things too, depending on what you do and don't choose to retain...
    Last edited by Maverick H1L; 11-25-2013, 07:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• fasteddi
    replied
    Is this kit the one I should be using? Looks as if its pretty straight foward. Using a AZ sensor to compare, It doesn't look like it fits on the bracket from BCC very well?

Kit: http://britishcarconversions.com/com...category_id=28

sensor: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...8779_726191_0_

I think I have all the ignition items ill need else then the DIS conversions stuff. But im sure as the build goes forward i find that I dont...
    Last edited by fasteddi; 11-25-2013, 06:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X