lifter shims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lifter shims

I am rebuilding my 3.4 dohc and need to know where i can get shims. I had the heads redone and now I need the the proper procedure of putting the shims in.

What shims? What head work requires shims?
    Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

evidently i forgot to mention that the valves were ground and when that is done the lobe lift of thew cam is not the same so you need to shim the hydralic lifters or is it better to shim the lifter springs?

Comment

The lobe lift is the same unless you grind the cam. If you had to take off enough to need a shim, you should have out new valve seats in. The hydraulic lifter will make up for a normal valve job.
        Ben
        60DegreeV6.com
        WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Actually...when having the valves and seats ground, the distance between the tip of the valve and spring seat is increased. Without installing the shims, this increased distance can/will decrease valve seat pressure and in extreme conditions, can cause valve float. The shims are used between the valve spring and the head to make up for this difference so the springs are compressed to their recommended installed height, keeping the spring compressed at a certain pressure, which provides the necessary (as designed) seat pressure.

Granted, this difference may be only a few hundredths of an inch, but none the less, engineers spent alot of time calculating what was needed where for a reason.

Good Luck.

RED

Comment

Oh, those shims. I sell them on the store. I was thinking valve stem shims for regrinds for some reason.
            Ben
            60DegreeV6.com
            WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Working...
            X