CAI or cold air intake???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CAI or cold air intake???

I was wondering what exactly is a CAI and hoe does it work???And wich is better a CAI or your average cold air intake with a cone at the end.Also how exactly would you go about installing a CAI??any help is appreciated??THANX

CAI=Cold Air Intake...

are you talking about a FWI: Fender Well Intake?

so called CAIs from ebay are junk, most of the time they are WAI: Warm Air Intakes, meaning it usually worse or similar to the stock option.
    1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
    Latest nAst1 files here!
    Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Most ebay CAI are just a filter on a short pipe in the hot engine bay. That's more like a hot air intake and will actually hurt overall power compared to most stock air boxes since you'll suck so much hot air in.

A real CAI/FWI locates the filter outside of the engine bay where it gets cold air, and also has a cone which has more surface area than an air air box with a small snorkel. Maybe 4hp at the wheels on average depending on engine.
      sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
      1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
      16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
      Original L82 Longblock
      with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
      Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

ok thanks that helps me decide what exactly to go with intake wise.how would you install an FWI?

Comment

In my car there is a 3" hole by the battery, run the intake pipe in there, and unbolt the splash shield in the wheel well to install the filter on to that, then put back the splash shield.
          Original L82 Longblock
          with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

ok i see what you are saying.nut wont the intake pipe be in the way of puttin the splash shield back?or do i modify it to fit around the intake pipe?

Comment

In my car there is space behind the splash guard between the inner fender/body. Depends on the car.

Pic without splash shield installed:

No modifications there. There is empty room behind the splash shield.

When I do mine I will use a different shaped filter, and mount it a little higher than you see in that pic, to keep it cleaner and out of water.
              Original L82 Longblock
              with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

A FWCAI is better than the plain jane CAI sitting next or infront of the battery.
                What do you want more of? Money in your pocket or more performance in your car.
                A wai is just for space and looks.
                Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

im going with the fwcai.in order to do this it would be like the normal cai tubing except having it stretch to outside the engine bay where the coller air is right?

Comment

that is the gist of it...
                    1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
                    Latest nAst1 files here!
                    Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

I cut a large portion from the bottom of my airbox out because I didn't like the size of the little snorkel that went behind the headlight. It really is cut out more then I should have done, as I'm sure I'm getting some of the warm air from the engine bay, but not near as much as a WAI. I've gotten comments on my "exhaust" when I've wound it out too, but it was funny telling them "My exhaust is stock style, just replaced with mandrel bent 2 1/4. That wasn't my exhaust you heard." I probably didn't gain anything, but I wouldn't ever put a stock air box in it's place and loose that sound.
                      -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                      91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                      92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                      94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                      Originally posted by Jay Leno
                      Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Originally posted by pocket-rocket View Post
                        I cut a large portion from the bottom of my airbox out because I didn't like the size of the little snorkel that went behind the headlight. It really is cut out more then I should have done, as I'm sure I'm getting some of the warm air from the engine bay, but not near as much as a WAI. I've gotten comments on my "exhaust" when I've wound it out too, but it was funny telling them "My exhaust is stock style, just replaced with mandrel bent 2 1/4. That wasn't my exhaust you heard." I probably didn't gain anything, but I wouldn't ever put a stock air box in it's place and loose that sound.
                        you know, i did the same thing... about a 3 X 3 square on the bottom right above some type of a/c equipment, and yes it does change the motor's noise quite a bit...
                        Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

I hacked off about half of mine. I went from mounting point to mounting point, then strait up the sides and just under the sealing flange for the filter element, and that whole front piece came off which is why I said it probably still gets some of the heat from the compartment. I should snap a pic of it one day....
                          -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                          91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                          92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                          94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                          Originally posted by Jay Leno
                          Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

since when are is a fender mounted CAI called fmcai? lol. if its outside of the engine bay its a cool air intake imo. who cares where it is as long its the most convient place for it

mine goes down in front of the radiator by the slave cylinder, under the battery and through a factory hole and around the inside of the bumper to infront of the radiator. kinda a pain but its the only place i could run it without cutting the body
                            sigpic
                            88 Beretta CL- 13.641@102.76mph (rwd LS1/t56 conversion in progress)

77 Celica GT- 3400/3500 swap in progress (engine from the beretta)

Comment

It's called a FWCAI so most people don't get the misconception of the infamous WAI mounted above the x-over &/or next to the battery pointing at the nice hot radiator.
                              Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

Working...
                              X