1992 GTP 5-speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1992 GTP 5-speed

I may have a chance to pick up a '92 GTP 5-speed.

I know that maintenance can be a pain in the ass on these motors.
    The main things I know of the "nature" of the TDC is that timing belt needs regular maintenance, the distributor shaft seals should be checked, alternator can be a pain to change, and intake gasket leaks are common.

I've "heard" things about the crankshaft and oiling problems with the connecting rod bearings.

My questions:
    - "What are the common problems I should look out for before and during ownership?"
    - "Are these motors reliable?"

Thanks in advance guys.

RE: 1992 GTP 5-speed

ok heres the thing, because its a 5 speed the alternator is a breeze to change. these 3.4l dohcs are extremely reliable, there is no distributor it has coil packs, but there is a plug where the distributor should have been and that will leak oil, if the car has an oil leak that is 99% for sure where it is comming from. i have never had a problem with intake gaskets, and i have 3 3.4l dohcs. bad things aobut these cars are the brakes, they suck, and the front strut bearing plates sieze up and creates a steering problem. the thing about the rod bearings is if you beat the shit out of your engine , with high mileage your rod bearings will shit out on you. your timing belt usually lasts 60,000 miles. i say buy the car it is very fast and exremely rare. you will love it. keep it, im sure it will be worth alot one day. change the oil every 3000 miles or sooner and dont beat on it to much , you do want it to last. the 3.4 dohcs power is unleashed with the 5 speed. buy it is all i have to say. unless they want to much for it and it has ultra high mileage on it.

Jake
    GM Goodwrench Tech - GM Certified

1991 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - 3.4L DOHC , 5 Speed Manual Transmission , Turbonetics 62mm turbo, Turbonectics Evolution Wastegate , Turbonetics Raptor BOV , Large Front Mount Intercooler , AEM Methanol Injection , Car is running at 11PSI currently with methanol injection.

Runs 13.4 In the 1/4 with a 3 second 60 foot

Comment

The car has approximately 170,000kms give or take.
      It's been to the track already and has an underdrive pulley installed on it, so i was told. It ran I think a 15.5 or 15.6 in the 1/4.

It's been sitting for about two years.

Comment

Hey Esmond....
        I'd say get the car! I'd like to put the 3.4 DOHC in Tanya's fiero but I'm getting a bonniville 3800 N/A for free!
        87 Fiero GT
        14.217 @ 157 KMP

Comment

x-thumper-x: I really do want to get the car, but you know my luck with my current car. 4 engines in 2 years. At this point in time, I'm just nervous that things will go horribly wrong with that GTP.

Although a 3400 swap will require mix and matching of different parts, and also custom parts...I think it's still less risky with the 3400 swap than an old GTP. Then again, a 5-speed GTP is frickin' awesome!

The thing is, with my researching...I'm hearing a lot of different things about the 3.4 TDC. I hear good and bad things. And the bad things aren't small things (i.e. more than likely require a rebuild).

PERHAPS another way to put it: IS the 3.4 TDC "significantly" more reliable than a HOQuad4?

Comment

yes very significantly more reliable, the quad 4 doesnt last nearly as long as a 3.4L DOHC, just do the regular maintence on it and it will last a long time, 170,000km is low for that year, i say scoop it up, mine has 218,000, and my brothers has 308,000kms, and he just needed a new motor 8000 kms ago, and he beat the shit out of his every day, very harshly.

Jake
            GM Goodwrench Tech - GM Certified

1991 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - 3.4L DOHC , 5 Speed Manual Transmission , Turbonetics 62mm turbo, Turbonectics Evolution Wastegate , Turbonetics Raptor BOV , Large Front Mount Intercooler , AEM Methanol Injection , Car is running at 11PSI currently with methanol injection.

Runs 13.4 In the 1/4 with a 3 second 60 foot

Comment

As long as you keep track of fluids, any leaks that may happen, and watch the timing belt, you should be ok.
              Ben
              60DegreeV6.com
              WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Originally posted by grandprixgtp_91
                the quad 4 doesnt last nearly as long as a 3.4L DOHC
                Jake
                Hey, Im partial to Q4's, its the 3.4 DOHC's hyper little brother. It takes a shitkicking pretty well. But stupid stuff like the ign coils and module go sometimes. The 91-93 HO's if the head isn't cracked and the gasket has been replaced (and the head bolts) then its one of the most reliable engines you can have. But thats after you have made it that way. Only at that point, its as good if not slightly better then the 3.4 DOHC. If you do this then you will be rewarded with a fun to drive car (even moreso if in a little GM RWD sportscar that will remain nameless)

The 3.4 DOHC, fortunatly has never really ever given me any crap. It is particularly sensitive to dirty oil, it can get lifter tap if any I mean ANY dirt gets into it. It should have its timing belt changed every few years (3-4) but thats $100 in parts for maintenance and a couple hours, (an hour if your at the top of your game) and you will be rewarded with a fun to drive car (yes, I am talking about a large FWD GM being fun, but even moreso if in a little GM RWD sportscar that shall still remain nameless)

Comment

THe only problems I know of on the quad 4 are the head gaskets. Thats not really an engine problem, just like the lower intakes on the gen 3 motors before GM redid the design. I dunno about 100 bucks for parts on a timing belt. Its over that for the idler pullies, belt, tensioner, and tensioner pulley. You should replace the tensioner and pulley along with the belt and idlers if you want to be certain its not going to go out. The tensioner housing should also be cleaned and the brass insert should be cleaned and checked for clearance to the tensioner. That part has been known to break on some people though its not widespread. Oil is the big issue on the 3.4, low or dirty it can cause gas milage to drop and more lifter noise. High RPM can be real bad if you are even a quart low.
                  Ben
                  60DegreeV6.com
                  WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Working...
                  X