Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Started the 3.4L Last Night, Merry Christmas!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Started the 3.4L Last Night, Merry Christmas!

We got the rest of the engine put back together last night. I replaced both EGR gaskets and radiator hoses and changed the oil. I put water in for coolant to start initially. When I started the engine, it took about 5 seconds to start, and then purred. I got a CEL, a "low oil" dash indicator, and both cooling fans were on. The oil light went away, but the CEL is still there. I'll connect with my laptop to see if it just needs a reset, and if there's a code stored related to the fans.
    I ran the engine to warm it up and flush the coolant side. I drained the water and added the GM Extend coolant. Took it for a ride and it runs SMOOTH.
    Christmas came a little early, what a present.
    I would like to thank Sappy and all who put up with and answered all my endless questions. I could not have done this job without you.
    MERRY CHRISTMAS to all.
    jogasz28

'68 RS Camaro,
    Project '69 Camaro in the works
    '95 Monte Carlo Z34 loaded,
    '99 Monte Carlo LS

The cooling fans work properly now and the CEL went away after plugging in the engine coolant sensor connector that we forgot.
    We had a DTC 117 and a -38.7 coolant temp that clued me in
    jogasz28

'68 RS Camaro,
    '99 Monte Carlo LS

Comment

nice.

Comment

good work. most shops can't even get it right.

Comment

Hell yeah, always good to hear someone working on a DOHC and doing it right Sad that even a dealership will screw this motor up.

Now that you have done it, how hard would you consider the 3.4 DOHC to work on?
          Ben
          60DegreeV6.com
          WOT-Tech.com

Comment

on a scale of 1-10 with 1 being easy and 10 being a total bitch.

Comment

Originally posted by SappySE107 View Post
              Hell yeah, always good to hear someone working on a DOHC and doing it right Sad that even a dealership will screw this motor up.

Now that you have done it, how hard would you consider the 3.4 DOHC to work on?

Let me preface my response by stating that I've been a commercial/industrial HVAC and Controls Service Technician for the last 26 years. So I'm used to taking things apart and re-assembling them. I'm also thoroughly acquainted with Murphy's Law I've always done 99% of the work on my own vehicles and enjoy doing it.
              Working on this 3.4L for the first time, I'd have to say it was a 7 in my book. That is mostly because I was getting to know the engine and trying to learn how everything worked, as well as repairing and updating any parts or issues inherent to this particular engine, all while I was doing the timing belt and intake gasket job. That's where you guys and this forum's info really helped. I would have screwed up several things without this forum's tech know-how support.
              I was impressed by the "fitment" of parts, and the fact I did not have one bolt or thread problem throughout the whole job. Also the condition of the valves and seats after 100K+ miles.
              As far as the DOHC style engine, I am impressed with it's performance and serviceability once you have the proper tools and know-how.
              I'm hoping any future work I do will be well below a 5
              Last edited by Jogasz28; 12-26-2006, 09:37 AM.
              jogasz28

'68 RS Camaro,
              '99 Monte Carlo LS

Comment

Working...
              X