Zero to 54 misfires over one cell!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zero to 54 misfires over one cell!

i have a bit of info up at the DHP forum for those of you who have access http://www.gmv6pcm.com/index.php?showtopic=5307&hl=

here is a link to the data log: http://www.gmv6pcm.com/index.php?act...e=post&id=2588
    not sure if you will beable to download it or not.

I have been fighting random misfires for some time now. mostly in park, at startup, and at low speed decelrating. i have done the following to try and correct the problem:
    -Plugs (iridiums and the current autolite #103's colder range) plenty of dielectric greese and had anti seize on the plugs
    -wires are not even 8 months old. and tested fine with a multi meter.
    -two diff sets of stock coil packs and one set of MSD coil packs all primary and secondary resistances within limits.
    -tried a second ICM ignition control moduel.
    -fuel filter is about a year old
    -injectors are low mileage from an L67 (flow rate adjusted in PCM file)
    -PCM tune: fuel trims at or less then + or - one.

OK that aside, the main prob at hand happend last night. i was data loging a run when my SES light started flashing and i slowed down and took the next exit. i was just after i shifted into 4th gear at WOT...3900RPM and 119.95 mph!. it was a P0300 Random misfires. for those of you who can read the scan i provided, it started at frame 2484 went from Zero misfires to 54. and then a few sec later up to 198 misfires engine sounded fine but for fear of not knowing what exactly was going on from the ses light i shut down the run and pulled over. after slowing down some i gave it some gas and it started showing large amounts of Knock! up to 17* [looking at the scan Engine coolent temps never went above 82*C (180*F)]

after turning off the car, i went to just key on and read and erased the code. after that the car started fine. drove home with no problems. even did a WOT run thru 1st gear and into 2nd with no KR. about 2 weeks or more ago, i went to start the car early in the morning and it started very rough. SES was flashing so i turned it right off... erased the same p0300 code and the car started fine. this morning it did the same thing. started rough and then started up fine.

Currently i know there is mostlikely a prob with the Tq converter... it will shutter under light acceleration below its stall and cause false Knock. i have tested this by pressing the brake while on the gass.... this disengages the lock on the converter and it goes away. im thinking that the trany might be to blame for the flase misfires aswell... but dont know. i was just also told to look at the crank sensor. but if that were the prob i would think it would be completely random or make probs everywhere in the power band. my only problem areas are in park, very low mph and coasting, and now in fourth gear at WOT!

I doubt its the crank position sensor. I can't get to your thread or log (might be my internet, its kinda goofy the past 2 days),but from the sound of it, its mechanical. Could be the trans as I know about the shudder problem. Sounds like the ECM goes into another mode after that code is set as well. Really not easy for me to diagnose any trans stuff though.

Can you post your log file here?
    Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

YES I'd SAY TRANNY TOO!

We had a Buick and Had the same nightmare. We changed EVERY SENSOR on that car to try to solve it, even a new intake gasket, etc, etc We even took it to a buddy at GM and EVEN there forman was baffeled! They couldn't pick out the problem

and after ALL THAT it turned out to be the tranny.
      1991 Grand Prix STE
      3.4 DOHC
      1 of 792 Produced
      Extensive Mods Done

1991 Lumina Z34
      3.4 DOHC
      Getrag 284 5spd
      1 of 30
      Canadian Z34 Models Made with the Getrag 5spd Wahoooo!

1980 GMC Sierra Classic C25 With 18,000 ORIGINAL MILES!!!!

sigpic

Comment

Oh ya and it was like a 96 - 97
        1991 Grand Prix STE
        3.4 DOHC
        1 of 792 Produced
        Extensive Mods Done

1991 Lumina Z34
        3.4 DOHC
        Getrag 284 5spd
        1 of 30
        Canadian Z34 Models Made with the Getrag 5spd Wahoooo!

1980 GMC Sierra Classic C25 With 18,000 ORIGINAL MILES!!!!

sigpic

Comment

yeah if you dont have a DHP powertuner you wont have access to those links. i zipped the file of that scan. i was talking with someone else, and they are near positive that the misfires at speed were from being in 4th gear. the car was originally governed at 118 so sliding into 4th at 120! just didnt work... as RPMs were too low for that gear. he said that i should have held 3rd much longer. makes complete sence after you look at the scan

as for the misfires at startup? prob the trans too. going to try a fluid change here shortly.

ok i found a site to host it. http://putstuff.putfile.com/41669/6867293 you can use excel to look at the file. for some reason its not displying a link for the file... i know i uploaded it. oh well there you go ^
          Last edited by z34phoenix; 01-27-2007, 01:21 AM.

Comment

Have you tested fuel pressure? return and supply??

If so what is the pressure through rpm range?
            I am back

Mechanical/Service Technican

Comment

its not fuel related. the injector pulse widths are fine from the scan and so are my O2 readings. its actually a little on the rich side at WOT.

well now that the major issue has been adressed, im going to fine tune my 1-2 and 2-3 shift points.... and then dial back the fuel a bit... no point runing as rich as it is now. and from what i heard NA cars can gain some additional power from leaning out the A/F just a bit.

Comment

Working...
              X