Newbie has a few questions .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie has a few questions .

Hello guys , I was wondering what boneyard mods have the best power gains if there even are any . You know like throttle body swaps or anything to help make a little more power . I just recently bought my car and am quite suprised with the power it has allready . All im really looking for is a reliable daily Honda destroyer . I'm thinking a little laughing gas but I would like some more just to be safe .
    Every time you finish you just start all over .

Also where can I accuire a set of MSD wires ?? They arent on the website so is it a special order thing or just a myth ?

Comment

what year car do you have? i can go from there on what "boneyard" mods maybe worth while.
      The Official Rotating Mass Nazi

Comment

Its a 92 Cutlass SE 3.4 dohc auto . I just had a full exhaust put on it i did away with the duals and had it put on in single exit with 2.5" and a Blowfaster (flowmaster) to be honest I dont much care for how it sounds now . WAAAAAAAY too loud I guess I should have went with a 3 chamber or a Magnaflow . I also took part of the old cold air off of my RX7 since I no longer have it and used it and the filter to free up a little air . I looked at some of the " kits " on e-bay and decided they were a little too cheesey for me . A little background on the car . One of my customers brought it in complaining of an oil leak . Typical 3.4 oil pump drive O ring . It also needed a rear valve cover gasket and all 4 cam seals . Evidently the price I quoted him to fix it was way too much , so he went and bought another car . Long story short . The car sits in my parking lot for 3 weeks and he called wanting to know what he owed for storage and diag . Now mind you this car is spotless front to back and only has 65,000 miles . He owed me $175.00 in all so he then asked if I knew anybody who would take it for scrap price . And there you have it . I put everything on it in between other stuff in the shop and have been driving it for 3 months . The only other thing I had to put into it besides everything under the hood was a drivers side window motor , luckily I had a 4 door in the yard and they interchange with the pass side on a 4 door . And thats enough rambling for me . - Joe

Comment

Get a resonator on there and you will be happy with how it sounds. Had you joined 2 months ago I could have showed you how it sounds since I just sold my DOHC 5 speed setup. Im in warsaw indiana so I know its not that far from you.

The chip I sell on the store will give it a noticable increase in power plus better gas milage on the highway. Changing the cam timing will also net you better powerband and more power overall, though we don't have dyno proof its easy to feel a 12 degree overlap difference:P
          Ben
          60DegreeV6.com
          WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Ben , I talked to a guy from a Fiero website that was located in Fort Wayne . He tells me that there is not much you can do with the computer . I dunno , as far as cam timing goes I was reading on another post about the 10 and 13 degree advances . Now my question is should I go off of the crank or the cams to adjust the timing . I allready dont like the timing belt / chain setup in these cars just because it takes a little while to tear down . Oh well free horsepower is free horsepower . Since one of my buddies owns an exhaust shop I may just run over there and get a resonator on it now . I dont know what it is with all of these 60 degree engines they sound as if they were destin for Indy cars . Where are you at in Warsaw . One of my good friends has a lake house out there . Any ways thanks for the help .- Joe

Comment

I can get near 10 hp out of a chip with a better powerband. The timing is in crank degrees, not cam degrees. Im right off 30 on parker street, across from the BP gas station. I am in a little sub division deal across from the movie theater.
              Ben
              60DegreeV6.com
              WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Ok so where do I line up the 0 TDC mark on the crank ?? It looks like I will be looking you up for a chip here in the next few weeks .

Comment

If you can't find MSD wires I'd highly recommend http://www.magnecor.com - in my opinion they beat all others hands down and last a lifetime.

Comment

Can you post a pic of this intake you have. I would highly recommend Ben's chip. Also you could get the FFP motormount. Getting an FFP underdrive pully would be good also.

Kyle

1992 Lumina Z34
                    5 Speed
                    Autozone civic intake
                    Ultra White lights
                    FFP Dogbone mount
                    125k miles
                    2.5 inch Magnaflow catback from Magnaflow cat
                    60degreeV6.com Custom Chip

Comment

Originally posted by SappySE107 View Post
                      I can get near 10 hp out of a chip with a better powerband. The timing is in crank degrees, not cam degrees. Im right off 30 on parker street, across from the BP gas station. I am in a little sub division deal across from the movie theater.

HAHA you so are!!! LOLOL WHEN YOU SEE THE BP,THINK OF BEN PHELPS!!!! He will be GLAD to see you!!!!!
                      Lorenzo
                      '11 DODGE Challenger R/ T Classic 57M6 Green with Envy "Giant Green Squid"
                      '92 PONTIAC Grand Prix SE 34TDCM5 "Red Lobster"

Comment

Well my intake is the front half of an AEM for a FC3S RX7 , when I get time I will snap a pic for you . I really dont want any look pretty parts under the hood right now . I am more of a function over form guy anyhow . Now heres a question you guys may know . How much nitrous can these motors reliably handle ?? I have a kit for 125 hp and I am pretty sure that it may be too much for it to handle .

Comment

Boneyard mods for power gains... Well, you could snag a Junkyard T03...

';..;'
                          1994 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP Special Edition, Black 5-Speed
                          1995 BMW 540i, Alpineweiss-III, 6-Speed
                          1995 BMW 540i, Schwarz-II, Automatic
                          2004 Honda 919, Light Silver Metallic, 6-Speed

Comment

Working...
                          X