This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headers By Aaron-*PICS*-56k BEWARE

These are detailed high quality pics of my front header. My back wasn't available for pics.

WARNING-Please do not post if all you want to say is how shitty my welds are or how bad the piping itself looks. I tought myself how to weld a day prior to welding these. Grabbed a welder and some spare pipe and went to work. I only want constructive critisism, comments, questions, and props where deserved. RacerX11, SappySE107, DykZ34, Bowtiekid, PLEASE respond for I trust your advice.

Now for the pics. One of the pipes didn't align quite right as you can see, but before I put it in the car I cut the weld, repositioned, and rewelded it. Works great. They come into the collecter at an angle, but that was on purpose. They may not look it, but they are equal lengh. The only modifications I have needed to make for them to fit is to cut off the bracket that holds on the bolt to the passenger side of the airbox. No biggy and I didn't even NEED to do that, it was more to avoid contact with it witch could harm the pipe. I also needed to redesign the upper radiator line, havn't done that yet. The header clears the fans, clears the ignition, and clears everything else. I really like it, I have since cleaned up the welds and it is getting chromed. The collector sits about 3/4" above the tranny, I wanted it lower to clear the 96 Throttle Body, but no can do. The header fell rigth into its place. It was SO easy to install. I had to remove the radiator support(3 bolts), both fans, radiator line, airbox, plenum, exhaust from downpipe up, dogbone mount, and I can't remember anything else. I am going to use the heat shield off the front manifold to guard the ignition, as the bottome pipe comes within an inch of it. I'll turn it upside down, adn the bolts line up directly and it fits the pipe's proflie well. I havn't made the downpipe yet, but soon. I will not be selling these, there is no opportunity for any profit. Maybe Bowtiekid will though. My back ones require a bit more modding to fit that I do not want to share at this time. So thanks for all of your support and advice, and DykZ34, FUCK YOU

Sorry if they take forever to load, this Starphoto thing is hosting WAY too many pics, it takes forever and a day to upload a pic.

I like. Does that top pipe interfere with the dog bone any? Have you done the rears yet? And how long did you end up choosing for the primary's?

The welds aren't that bad, anybody that complains about how a weld looks is full of it.

Comment

Looking good!!!!

Your welds are good, don't worry about that. Don't under estimate your ability.

Remember that this is a prototype stage if I am not mistaken, so just get the headers to run right and learn from that and then the next time it will be better and the next even better and so on.
      I am back

Mechanical/Service Technican

Comment

He used 30" primaries. Thanks for posting pictures. Now how about that dyno sheet?

Comment

I'll be damned.. That looks pretty good.

I'm curious.. Your getting them chromed, which will look cool, but will it do anything to help the underhood temps?

1996 Grand Prix GTP Special Edition - Coilovers & ST springs, magnaflow exhaust, M&S FWI, Powrtuned ECM, Aweb Door sills, much much more.
          1987 Suzuki Samurai JX Tintop - Weber DGV5E carb, 2" exhaust, Calmini Header, 147k, daily driver

Comment

Those look... awesome. It looks like your fans aren't in... do they clear the fans? Looks pretty close...

Are you gonna run them into one pipe or run true dual? I bet messing with resonators and what-not could produce a decent exhaust note with true duals...

I don't really know what else to comment on... except you shouldn't knock your welds. If you really did teach yourself to weld the day before, then right on man. I'm sure I couldn't do better (been 4 years since I took a metal working class)

Can't wait for pics of the finished rear set!
            --Rob
            Currently attending Wyotech, Fremont, CA. Start Date: 1.24.05. Grad. Date: 4.21.06
            1992 Chevy Lumina Z34 5 Speed FOR SALE $1400 AS IS RUNS WELL

Comment

One thing you should do is take a small light, and put it inside the tubes. Make sure the room is dim and check for any pinholes in the welds. They happen quite commonly MIG welding sheetmetal. If you want a goal to shoot for on welding. On about 18 guage the weld bead should be about the width of a pencill eraser tip with about a half inch heat affected zone total, and penetration should be slightly smaller than the weld bead itself. Make sure to leave a slight gap so the weld can penetrate. But, overall good job for only picking up the torch for a day prior to the undertaking of the project. Most people's welds don't even come out looking like that pn their first try.

Comment

Nice, i really wanna see how the rears look, even if right now you can only get an under the car shot looking up. I can't weld so if those hold together that is more than I can do currently:P Looks great, and isn't nearly as crazy looking as I expected. I still plan to go over a bit further into the battery location to make the pipes longer than 30". The dyno sheet will be useful though to know differences from legnths.

How cramped is the rear, and how did you do the collector for it? I have an idea but since your fronts are are equal length and only take up that much room, I have no idea on your rears.

Im impressed with the prototype for sure. If you pull them out later, I would try to add a bit more length to them, it looks like there is enough room to go 36 on the fronts anyway. I was going to run the collector further back, so you can get a few inches there. How long is the collector?
                Ben
                60DegreeV6.com
                WOT-Tech.com

Comment

definitely try the light trick to make sure you don't have any pinholes in the welds. i've got a flexible light that i check my welds with, came in very handy when i was making the exhaust on my truck.

Comment

Wow, Aaron, very NICE!!! If you can do that with the bigger DOHC, that gives me hope for the header project I abondoned. You said one of the primaries comes close to the ICM and coils. Why not relocate them? Its just a little wiring. Just an idea. Im interested in how the rears look too. Should be pretty simple in the back, if you make them follow the same path as the downpipe follows then have the collector under the car, lol
                    Robby Whitesell
                    2006 Pontiac G6 GT
                    1985 Toyota Pickup DLX

Comment

no chance for them fitting in an automatic huh? Will our (well my) automatic header hopes ever come true? hah Those look real nice! do the fans fit in there?

Comment

very nice. your welds aren't bad at all. the only thing i'm not getting is how u said u lost lowend with that design? it seems to me it would wake up the lowend a lil. how long are your collectors? if u make them longer it will acctually trick the headers into thinking the primaries are longer. but i'm must say u did a very good job and i'm suprised, this hole time i thought u were bull shitting. u get props for this shit, but i still wanna see some track times.

Comment

I'll take two (for an automatic, that is )

Verboten

\'92 Lumina Z34: It\'s not unmodded - It\'s Super Stock!

Comment

I don't think you guys realize how much these cost. He has over $400 in SUPPLIES alone. These aren't prototypes, they are the finished product. I still wanna see the "214hp" dyno chart.

Comment

damn aaron! U are ugly! Just kidding, no matter what anyone says you've taken your ideas much farther than anyone else, good job on that, and good luck with that clearing the dogbone! later Jay

Comment

Working...
                              X