A bolt hole is missing on my crate motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A bolt hole is missing on my crate motor

I'm doing an LQ1 swap into my Fiero. One of the issues is relocating the dogbone mount to the opposite corner of the motor. There's no generally accepted way to do this, everyone fabs their own design. A number of them use the steel lift plate as a base to weld the mount to.

I haven't been happy with this setup because that liftpoint doesn't have any lateral strength at all.

The first motor I purchased was a used '92 that turned out to have a seized crank. But I had noticed an unused bolt hole on the front head that could be used to brace the mount.

And so finally to my question: I bought a '95 crate motor and, ta da . . no bolt hole. I know I've seen pictures of sectioned heads; can someone tell me if the boss is still in the casting that can be drilled and tapped?

Thanks,

Neil

The heads are identical 91-95. I dunno what hole you are talking about so I can't really help you. Got a pic of what you are talking about?
    Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

I'll try to get a picture of the location.

Comment

Comment

do you have a pic of the head without that hole as well? I side of the head has the bolt holes, the other does not.
          Ben
          60DegreeV6.com
          WOT-Tech.com

Comment

I can take a picture of the same spot on the other engine, but it looks the same except clean and no hole.

Comment

The heads are identical, so the holes must be on the other side of the head.
              Ben
              60DegreeV6.com
              WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Working...
              X