+6/-6 timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• +6/-6 timing

looking thru the threads on this subject, how much gain or difference from stock is seen by doing this, nothing else changed ? driving charestics(spelling), fuel milage ?, I'm getting ready to replace my timing belt and wondering if it's worth the effort, motor is a 95 lq1, thanks Lloyd
    Last edited by ratrodder; 01-27-2009, 09:38 PM.

If you have the cam tool then go for it, If not then i wouldnt worry about it.

-GREEN 1995 Pontiac Grand Prix SE - L82/5spd MTX +
    -White 1995 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - 97 207DOHC/6SPD MTX +

Comment

The difference is in mid range and top end power. You get a much nicer, flatter torque and HP curve, it doesn't affect fuel economy.
      I may own a GTO now, but I'm still a 60V6er at heart.

Comment

Originally posted by ratrodder View Post
        looking thru the threads on this subject, how much gain or difference from stock is seen by doing this, nothing else changed ? driving charestics(spelling), fuel milage ?, I'm getting ready to replace my timing belt and wondering if it's worth the effort, motor is a 95 lq1, thanks Lloyd

if that means advancing intake cams 6 degrees, and retarding exhaust cams 6 degrees, what you are doing is closing up the lobe separation angle of the intake/exhaust events. The creates more overlap, more scavenging effect, bleeds off a little compression, and less vacuum signal at idle.

If it means the opposite (retard intake/advance exhaust), you are spreading/widening the lobe separation angle- more vacuum, less bottom end, more top end power, more rpm capability

typically the factory widens the LSA if using a lot of duration, to get some semblence of idle quality back- tight LSA makes an engine idle rough and get lousy gas mileage

Comment

Originally posted by 4camv6 View Post
          if that means advancing intake cams 6 degrees, and retarding exhaust cams 6 degrees, what you are doing is closing up the lobe separation angle of the intake/exhaust events. The creates more overlap, more scavenging effect, bleeds off a little compression, and less vacuum signal at idle.

If it means the opposite (retard intake/advance exhaust), you are spreading/widening the lobe separation angle- more vacuum, less bottom end, more top end power, more rpm capability

typically the factory widens the LSA if using a lot of duration, to get some semblence of idle quality back- tight LSA makes an engine idle rough and get lousy gas mileage
          Thank you for the reply's- (advance intake- retard exhaust)
          I bought the car for a driver, dont plan on racing or dogging the car but I like performance, in your exsperince is the driveabilty noticeably different? wants to load up?, how much on mileage 17mpg down to 12mpg ? do you think it would be worth it on a driver? , basically the same questions,thanks for the feedback, Lloyd

Comment

Old thread I know but was wondering too

Originally posted by gpchris View Post
            If you have the cam tool then go for it, If not then i wouldnt worry about it.

Where can I find the cam tool? walkthrough? Is it the cam tool that I have to make? Is there directions on that as well? Thanks in advance for any input...

Comment

They are no longer made.
              Ben
              60DegreeV6.com
              WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Originally posted by SappySE107 View Post
                They are no longer made.

Are they pretty easy to make? Anybody got a pic of one? Also us there a write up on the procedure to accomplish the +6/-6 timing?

Comment

Here's a thread about timing (6-6), post #6 has some pics of the tool (special) attached...
                  Hope this helps,
                  Tom...

Comment

I love the 6-6 timing, and yes IF you have or can perfectly make the tool, would recommend it.

Under NORMAL driving conditions, I would almost say it slightly raised my MPG. It didn't lower it, thats for sure.
                    1991 Grand Prix STE
                    3.4 DOHC
                    1 of 792 Produced
                    Extensive Mods Done

1991 Lumina Z34
                    3.4 DOHC
                    Getrag 284 5spd
                    1 of 30
                    Canadian Z34 Models Made with the Getrag 5spd Wahoooo!

1980 GMC Sierra Classic C25 With 18,000 ORIGINAL MILES!!!!

sigpic

Comment

Kool thanks guys, I will look into it when my schedule isn't so busy thanks again... I post in the other thread or this one when I do.. Ultimately im only interested in performance... I get good gas mileage anyway and only drive a few miles to work, Thanks again...

Comment

It is easy to make the cam flat tool for STOCK cam timing. To make one for 6/6 would be really hard unless you are a machinist. Best bet is to find a used adjustable tool. I thought there were rumors of a new production run made out of steel this time? I have the aluminum tool and after a half dozen uses it is wearing the slot that the arms pivot in.
                        1991 Grand Prix GTP LX9swap/Getrag 284 --- SOLD =(
                        1994 Corvette
                        LT1/ZF6
                        2006 Dodge Dakota 4x4
                        3.7/42RLE

Comment

Working...
                        X