Crank Scraper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crank Scraper

Iwas just wondering if anyone has a crank scraper on their tdc. I heard from a friend that scrapers work excellent on v8's but has anyone tried one on a dohc.
    The only thing better than GM is a GM with a 60V6 under the hood.

If I ever pull my oil pan I will be installing one. Should be great since the DOHC likes higher RPM. I don't know of anyone that has compared just the scraper though on this setup.
    Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

I have one and it gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling, plus it adds to my mod list.
      My machinist commented that the one I bought was basically useless b/c of the space it was not close enough.
      You would want to get one from teflon is my guess.

Don't overfill your oil. Some have commented on racing applications reading oil temp and adjusting levels can add 10 hp.
      95 MC Z34 Black
      Running strong with new engine, transmission, brakes and suspension.

Comment

crank scraper ummmmmm i thought it was called a Windage tray... but i am looking for one for the 3400... knife edging is a good idea if your rich lol.
        Harry

Comment

This guy (www.crank-scrapers.com) does custom scrapers for around $50 if your not trying to make your own.
          95 Bonneville - RIP
          90 Regal Custom -RIP
          2nd 95 Bonneville (max effort L36 build)
          98 Infiniti i30 (vq35'd)

Comment

That is who makes the scrapers I sell on the store. They also make a teflon scraper that you have to modify some to work but will do a better job. Its $150.
            Ben
            60DegreeV6.com
            WOT-Tech.com

Comment

crank scraper clearances

Originally posted by napatiger
              ...My machinist commented that the one I bought was basically useless b/c of the space it was not close enough.
              You would want to get one from teflon is my guess.
              Factory and aftermarket scrapers are often a large distance away from the rotating assembly and still help. Some people think they have to be within .020" to work -- if that is close to what your machinist was thinking it is not correct.

When I write things you can be sure I have the evidence to back them up. Here is a pic of the OEM crank scraper in the Dodge Viper V10. I measured the clearance and it comes no closer than 3mm or ~.120". Edit: I checked my notes and the figure is no closer than 2mm on the bottom edge and no closer than 8mm from the top edge. What I was remembering was that the scraper itself is 3mm thick.

What is correct is that the closer they can come the more efficient they become.
              Last edited by Kevin_Johnson; 07-06-2006, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info.
                The only thing better than GM is a GM with a 60V6 under the hood.

Comment

yeah I think that what I have will help, but if I was going to do it again, I would get the teflon.
                  95 MC Z34 Black

Comment

The Windage tray is what is already on our engines. The gain on a average engine is 12-15hp and a screen tray can gain up to 25 hp. I just put one in a chev 350 that I'm building up. A REAR oil pan baffle is a very cheap but great add on to. The oil doesn't go up the back of the pan, adds more hp and stops oil leaks from the rear pan seal.

Building a Screen tray for the 3.4 DOHC would be something that would be easy and worth while IF you have the engine out anyway.

Best Regards to all,
                    Dave
                    1991 Grand Prix STE
                    3.4 DOHC
                    1 of 792 Produced
                    Extensive Mods Done

1991 Lumina Z34
                    3.4 DOHC
                    Getrag 284 5spd
                    1 of 30
                    Canadian Z34 Models Made with the Getrag 5spd Wahoooo!

1980 GMC Sierra Classic C25 With 18,000 ORIGINAL MILES!!!!

sigpic

Comment

Dave, I was at the J/Y today and saw a 1991 Grand Prix STE 3.4DOHC Auto with kick ass seats. Seems like pontiac had more comfortable seats than Chevy.
                      What makes yours so unique?
                      95 MC Z34 Black

Comment

Working...
                      X