Newb from MN - '92 Grand Prix SE w/3.4 and 5-speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newb from MN - '92 Grand Prix SE w/3.4 and 5-speed

Hey guys, I'm new here and looking to get some good info on my car! I finally sold my Neon, and ever since I have been trying to sell it, I've been looking for a replacement. Well, I found one about the same time I started putting the car for sale...and now since the Neon is gone, and that car was still around, I went to Brooklyn Park to look at it yesterday. The car is a 1992 Pontiac Grand Prix SE with the 3.4 V6 and a 5-speed! The guy was decent, but was kind of a "know-it-all" and thought he was a Grand Prix guru, which he knew absolutely NOTHING about these cars, saying "the GTP package wasn't badged on the cars as 'GTP' until 1994" and "the 91-93 Grand Prix never had the louvers on the hood"...well sir, my dad had a 1991 GTP with 'GTP' badges FROM THE FACTORY, and also had the louvered hood...what a dip shit. I wasn't going to correct him, as I was trying to buy the car from him. Anyways, I took my friends Laura and Shaun with me to help me look the car over, since Shaun works at a body shop and knows exactly what to look for, and Laura used to paint hot rods. The car is decent...needs some body work, but nothing that can't be fixed. A lot of the passenger side rear quarter has bondo all over and has a big crack in it, which sucks, but isn't a huge deal. Has a few small surface rust spots, but I'm going to sand them down and primer them so it doesn't spread. Needs a totally new paint job, which I wanted to do anyways. Other than that, the car is in very good shape. The car has 171,xxx miles on it, but it runs and drives excellent, and the transmission shifts perfectly in every gear! It sometimes has too low of an idle and dies, but only did it once when I was at a stop light. The "service engine soon" light comes on and off at times, as does the "check gauges" light and the "gas low" light, which nothing was wrong with what the gauges were telling me, and the gas was on half a tank. It has a working heads-up display and a digital compass/information center, which is rare on these cars to all work. The interior is pretty clean (going to detail the car next weekend and see how much better it comes out) and the engine bay is nice and clean as well. Here's some pics of her:

I bought the car for $1800...it might be a little too much, but it's a really hard car to find with a 5-speed around here, and it's definitely saveable...and more importantly, I'm happier than a pig in shit. I also have a parts car as well...my brother's old '91 GTP that he smashed up a little bit, but every panel but the front passenger fender is in good shape (it's the car in my signature). It runs, but there's something wrong in the transmission (also a 5-speed car). Other than that, it's a great parts car, especially for $300.
    So there you have it...my next project, and I'm very excited to start on it!

1992 Pontiac Grand Prix SE - black/charcoal, 3.4 DOHC, 5-speed, 171,xxx miles
    1991 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - blue/charcoal, 3.4 DOHC, 5-speed, 153,xxx miles (parts car)

not bad, and welcome.

the low fuel and check guages light is a common problem with those clusters, there is a write-up on how to fix it on the w-body.com forum. it worked somewhat for me, now they only come on maybe 1/10 of the time. it has to do with a bad solder joint on the PCB of the guage cluster.

the SES light may be a bigger issue, or the guage cluster itself could be bad.
    1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
    Latest nAst1 files here!
    Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

could you post the link to the w-body forum on the guage fix? the gf's car also does this and it annoys the shit out of me. I would fix it for her in my spare time. Nice car supertrick- looks like it will be a fun project. The filler might not be as thick as you think either- it can crack like that with just a small, acceptable amount if hit right.
      88 Beretta GT
      69 Corvette
      79 Mustang Ghia
      95 Cutlass Convertible

Comment

certainly:

1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
        Latest nAst1 files here!
        Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

thank you, sir robertisaar
          88 Beretta GT
          69 Corvette
          79 Mustang Ghia
          95 Cutlass Convertible

Comment

Originally posted by bbeck View Post
            thank you, sir robertisaar
            if you want to get technical, it's Baron, but close enough
            Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

What are you doing with the transmission from the parts car? Any idea what's wrong with it, symptoms?

Comment

Not sure yet, but I'm not selling it, that's for sure. I bought the parts car because it's rare and it was $300 and it had a 5-speed in case anything went wrong with my car. The only way I'd sell something out of it is if I knew I'd never need it.
                And no, I have no idea what is wrong with it. My brother thought he knew, but I don't remember what he said. I'll ask him today.

1991 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - blue/charcoal, 3.4 DOHC, 5-speed, 153,xxx miles (parts car)

Comment

Whats up super trick, I am also in the Metro area, I work at auto pro in Brooklyn park and am the proud owner of a 3.4 DOHC cutlass. I have had every piece of this car apart so any questions you may have I most likely know the answer.... hit me up and maybe I can help you with any issues you may have

Comment

i think ive seen your car before....

My Cardomain Page | My Random Online Gallery<- (Now Fixed)

Comment

Haha, thanks man! I'll PM you in a few minutes...

Comment

Well I went to Advance Auto Parts today and picked up some Trico Neoform wiper blades (very nice...had them on my Neon) and an AC Delco fuel filter for the GP. When I got home, I came apon these sitting at my doorstep:

These things are insane! I just skimmed through them and there is so much information, it boggles my mind! I only paid $25 shipped for all 3 of them on eBay, which is a good price I must say.
                        Last edited by WideTrackGP_92; 12-28-2009, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WideTrackGP_92 View Post
                          Well I went to Advance Auto Parts today and picked up some Trico Neoform wiper blades (very nice...had them on my Neon) and an AC Delco fuel filter for the GP. When I got home, I came apon these sitting at my doorstep:
                          [img width=768 height=514]http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g18/supertrick_05/001-1.jpg[/img]

These things are insane! I just skimmed through them and there is so much information, it boggles my mind! I only paid $25 shipped for all 3 of them on eBay, which is a good price I must say.

Fixed.
                          Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

Ah, thanks! Fixed mine as well

Comment

Nice find! I've never actually seen one of those GP's with a five speed. Period! Must be a hoot to drive with the DOHC motor. $1800 isn't a bad price at all, I would have pounced on that myself, if given the chance.

But I got a kick out of all those buttons on the center part of the steering wheel. lol

Any sort of plan for it down the road?
                              -Chris-
                              03 Black GAGT Sedan
                              MODS:
                              MP Racing CAI / Magnaflow High Flow Catalytic Converter / Flowmaster 80 series w/glasspack resonator
                              Front STB / MSD Ignition: 8.5mm wires & blaster coils / SOME BIG GODDAMNED MUDFLAPS

And some other stuff to make it look pretty.

Comment

Working...
                              X