Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LeftVentricle
    replied
    The bar is from a 1995 Chevrolet Lumina APV, 26 mm. The car is a 1996 Buick Century, 22 mm bar. I don't recall if the ends that attach to the control arms are the same between car and van. If you can get poly bushings, that would be cool. If not, regular rubber ones will be fine.

Leave a comment:

• robertisaar
    replied
    i may be able to cross-reference some stuff for you.... got an exact application to lookup? I'm not sure what you'll need with the combo of parts you have in mind.

Leave a comment:

• LeftVentricle
    replied
    a) $20 each, b) will be worlds better than what I have now, which are original struts taken off my '93 parts car. I don't do autocross or anything like that. The closest I come is taking a cloverleaf onramp. I'm more concerned with the car being able to handle more weight, since I use it as a wagon very frequently.

I need to replace the sway bar bushings as well. They creak when going over speed bumps when it's cold out. I can get the bar-to-subframe bushings for the van bar easily enough, but there aren't any listings for the bar-to-control arm bushings for the van, only for the car. I've checked Rock Auto, Autozone, O'Reilley, Pep Boys, Amazon.

Leave a comment:

• Purple pit
    replied
    Van struts should help. Not a big fan of Sensa-Craps as they are very sloppy and too slow in reaction time. Had better luck with the blues( the mid range replacements). Gr-2's or whatever they are called now are nice(if you get a good set).

Leave a comment:

• LeftVentricle
    replied
    As I said earlier in the thread, the A-body cars and the U-body vans (up to '96) share lots of components, and a member of the A-body board found that van struts are directly compatible with the cars. He installed them on this 1984 Olympic Edition Century. According to him, they offer stiffer valving and improved handling with little to no negative effect on ride quality. So I picked up a set of Monroe 71820 Sensa-Tracs from Rock Auto. They were on sale for about $20 each. I still need to get new variable-rate springs, seats and mounts, but I will install them soon. Watch this space. I already have a van sway bar, which, even with stock suspension, improved handling immensely. I expect the struts will make it even better.

Also, I have designs of acquiring another project. The local craigslist has a 2001 Impala (3400) for $500 with a bad head gasket. If it's still available in the next week or so, I will probably pick it up. Both my wife and one of my daughters have expressed interest in learning how to tear apart an engine. I may post another thread about that car if I get it, but the procedure is more or less the same as what I documented for my wagon.

Leave a comment:

• Purple pit
    replied
    Costs less to have a pipe without the flare. That is the way things work these days. Keep on them and don't give up. Think about a lawyer. A trans rebuild is around $1,500, not sure if that still falls under small claims.

Leave a comment:

• LeftVentricle
    replied
    Double posting, but I have opened a claim with U-haul's insurance company. That's probably all I am legally allowed to disclose at this point now.

Leave a comment:

• LeftVentricle
    replied
    Bad tidings with the white wagon. A few weeks ago, the transmission started slipping very badly while driving. Within a half mile, it had gone out of gear completely. A quick under-hood inspection showed large amounts of trans fluid had leaked out, and splashed about the driver's side of the engine bay, the subframe, the inner CV, the underside of the car, and the exhaust. I got the car home, and was so angry that I just left it there on the street in front of my house. After putting it off for going on three weeks, I finally just broke down and crawled under it to find out the cause of the enormous transmission leak. Click for larger, please.

As some of you may recall, earlier in the year, I took a trip to Kansas and towed a trailer full of my mother-in-law's stuff back to Las Vegas. Naturally, I had a hitch and external transmission cooler installed by U-Haul at the same time. The image above is the meeting between the stock trans cooler line and the hose going to the external cooler. What appears to have occurred is the metal tube joining the two hoses popped out, and the trans oil pump dutifully pumped most of the fluid onto the street while I was driving. As you can see, the end of the metal tube is not flared, so the hose clamp had nothing to hang on to. What's surprising is that it lasted this long.

I brought this to the attention of the manager of the U-Haul store. He was skeptical at first when I showed him that picture, but when I removed the hose from the car and presented it to him, he was incredibly accommodating. Since he is not a mechanic, he said to take the metal bit to a shop and have it flared (I don't own a flaring tool) and bring him the receipt, and I will be recompensated. I did just that, but the flared end ended up being too large to fit back in the rubber hose. I then went to a hardware store and purchased a barbed fitting, 5/16" on each end, which solved the whole leak problem.

It took six quarts to bring the fluid back to a useable level. I have driven the car about 40 miles, including steady highway cruising, and it seems to be mostly okay. However, I believe it may have sustained some damage in this whole thing. The shift from first to second is not the same as it was before. It slips more, behaving much like the old transmission this one replaced did. I considered adding some Lucas additive this morning, but the fluid level is good, and I don't want to overfill it.

I asked the U-Haul manager what steps we would need to take if damage had occurred to my transmission. His response was that "U-Haul Legal" would then have to be involved. I think U-Haul Legal may have to be involved.

Leave a comment:

• LeftVentricle
    replied
    It is the bottom of the control arm. The A-body also does not have a rear sway bar. Addco makes one. It requires holes be drilled in the body to install it.

Leave a comment:

• robertisaar
    replied
    w-bodies are similar in that they also bolt directly to the control arm. that looks like the bottom side of the control arm though?

Leave a comment:

• Purple pit
    replied
    Wild, almost looks like a rear bar.

Leave a comment:

• LeftVentricle
    replied
    No. End brackets bolt directly to the control arms. Phone posting right now. I'll post a picture later.

EDIT: Click for larger.
    Last edited by LeftVentricle; 11-05-2015, 10:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Purple pit
    replied
    Guessing that you don't have end links on these cars.

Leave a comment:

• LeftVentricle
    replied
    Originally posted by Purple pit View Post
    Not sure what is going on with the sway. Some sort of change between the years?
    I don't rightly know either. You may be right. The white wagon is a '96, while the yellow sedan is a '92, and I got the bar from a '96. I don't really see GM changing the positioning of the sway bar mounting studs for no reason. I think the control arms are even shared between car and van. But no big deal. The stock one bolted back in.

Leave a comment:

• Purple pit
    replied
    Going to say that the van springs will raise the front a bit too much. The only other thing you can do with springs is have a spring shop test the stock ones. Then they can try and make some replacements or a bit stiffer springs(if later you would like to have the APV rears). The brake upgrade would be a great idea as newer cars have much better brakes and stop much shorter.

Not sure what is going on with the sway. Some sort of change between the years?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X