No announcement yet.

'96 Century general project thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Double posting, but I have opened a claim with U-haul's insurance company. That's probably all I am legally allowed to disclose at this point now.
    Kaiser George IX: 1996 Buick Century Special wagon. 213-SFI. 250k miles. Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. First documented LX9 swap in an A-body! Click here to read my build thread!

Comment

Costs less to have a pipe without the flare. That is the way things work these days. Keep on them and don't give up. Think about a lawyer. A trans rebuild is around $1,500, not sure if that still falls under small claims.
      95 Beretta 3100 with 3400 intakes and TCE TB
      High flow cat and a Magnaflow muffler
      Grand Prix trans with 3.33FDR

Comment

As I said earlier in the thread, the A-body cars and the U-body vans (up to '96) share lots of components, and a member of the A-body board found that van struts are directly compatible with the cars. He installed them on this 1984 Olympic Edition Century. According to him, they offer stiffer valving and improved handling with little to no negative effect on ride quality. So I picked up a set of Monroe 71820 Sensa-Tracs from Rock Auto. They were on sale for about $20 each. I still need to get new variable-rate springs, seats and mounts, but I will install them soon. Watch this space. I already have a van sway bar, which, even with stock suspension, improved handling immensely. I expect the struts will make it even better.

Also, I have designs of acquiring another project. The local craigslist has a 2001 Impala (3400) for $500 with a bad head gasket. If it's still available in the next week or so, I will probably pick it up. Both my wife and one of my daughters have expressed interest in learning how to tear apart an engine. I may post another thread about that car if I get it, but the procedure is more or less the same as what I documented for my wagon.
        Kaiser George IX: 1996 Buick Century Special wagon. 213-SFI. 250k miles. Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. First documented LX9 swap in an A-body! Click here to read my build thread!

Comment

Van struts should help. Not a big fan of Sensa-Craps as they are very sloppy and too slow in reaction time. Had better luck with the blues( the mid range replacements). Gr-2's or whatever they are called now are nice(if you get a good set).

Comment

a) $20 each, b) will be worlds better than what I have now, which are original struts taken off my '93 parts car. I don't do autocross or anything like that. The closest I come is taking a cloverleaf onramp. I'm more concerned with the car being able to handle more weight, since I use it as a wagon very frequently.

I need to replace the sway bar bushings as well. They creak when going over speed bumps when it's cold out. I can get the bar-to-subframe bushings for the van bar easily enough, but there aren't any listings for the bar-to-control arm bushings for the van, only for the car. I've checked Rock Auto, Autozone, O'Reilley, Pep Boys, Amazon.

Comment

i may be able to cross-reference some stuff for you.... got an exact application to lookup? I'm not sure what you'll need with the combo of parts you have in mind.
              1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
              Latest nAst1 files here!
              Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

The bar is from a 1995 Chevrolet Lumina APV, 26 mm. The car is a 1996 Buick Century, 22 mm bar. I don't recall if the ends that attach to the control arms are the same between car and van. If you can get poly bushings, that would be cool. If not, regular rubber ones will be fine.

Comment

relevant part numbers(most sizes grabbed from stuff like Tonkin or Nalley, not sure why bushing and bar sizes aren't matching?):

96 Century Wagon:
                  22mm bar - 14089551
                  24mm bar - 14089552

21mm bushing (subframe) - 14036361
                  22mm bushing (subframe) - 14036362

19mm bushing (control arm) - 14093233
                  21mm bushing (control arm) - 14093234

95 Lumina APV:
                  bar - 14089584

bushing (subframe) - 14036363

bushing (control arm) - 10149423

10149423 was superseded by 19208659, which:

shows to be applicable to early A-bodies and basically all U-bodies.

that's one source I'm finding when punching in 19208659, but it's odd rockauto doesn't list any. is it a situation like with a w-body where the bar tapers down for the control arm connection to a common size for all bars?
                  1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
                  Latest nAst1 files here!
                  Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

I think so. I posted a picture earlier in the thread of the car and van bars.

EDIT: Looks like I'm wrong about posting a picture. Here is one.

Van bar on right, car bar on left.

The car bushing slid right onto the van bar. Thanks for brainstorming with me.
                    Last edited by LeftVentricle; 02-02-2016, 06:04 PM.

Comment

For me it was more of reaction time if there are multi pot holes in a row. With just two mid size ones my tires seemed to stay in the air and that put a lot of fear in me. After a change to the blues that was no longer a problem(also GR-2's later on another L-body, yes it took them that long to fix them). If the tire is in the air the brakes are useless. Your car may not be the same do to more weight. Or it could be worse. I'll just say that they use to float like an old 70's car. That may be a plus for you?

Comment

I've used Sensa-Tracs before on this car, and they felt fine. Road quality in Las Vegas is actually pretty decent. However, in a couple years, assuming I still have this car, I may want to change over to something more sporting. Comfort is a higher priority right now though, since this is the family car.

Comment

Originally posted by LeftVentricle View Post
                          The car bushing slid right onto the van bar. Thanks for brainstorming with me.
                          GM's choices of where to save money are odd ones, but at least they're consistent.

I don't know if Sensa-Tracs are softer than FE1 struts, but I have them for the front of the Monte Carlo, with some blue Monroe(or Gabriel? not sure, I know they were fairly cheap) on the rear, I don't think it made an already soft suspension(with slightly oversized swaybars front and rear) any worse.
                          Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

Be careful friends. If you rub the lamp on the dashboard and let the genie out, this is what happens.

Comment

this is why I don't feel bad about "overfilling" a 60V6 by up to a quart, I have yet to see any evidence of foaming occur(I don't think losses through PCV accelerated either) and it does a good job of preventing situations like this.
                              Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X