Hola to All, Forum Noob Here; Please be Gentle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hola to All, Forum Noob Here; Please be Gentle

First of all I want to thank Ben Phelps for his beneficial info on a project I've been pondering for several years. Knowledge is power, and the sharing of his knowledge is fantastic!

My name is Robert, and I am a Floridian who has lived in the Dominican Republic for 15 years. Since then, I've operated a world-renown motorcycle tour company, MotoCaribe, and I am also a partner in a film production company.

I go waaaaaay back with gasoline and wheels. My dad was a Ford & Chevy dealer through the early 70s, so I grew up around cars, really cool cars, since he was also a car nut. This includes selling Shelby cars, Cobras, during the hi-po Glory Days. Which is when I got "snake bit."

I had some good fortune in business and at one time, was an early dealer for Superformance Cobras. We'd import factory-built cars without drive trains, then stuff Ford FE & Windsor motors in them to sell, until the Shelby lawsuits flew and Superformance stopped selling cars for a while, and cut off dealers.

But I have to say big V8 hp in a light chassis will change your car world forever.

But I also love the old Brit iron, and have owned a gaggle of them, cars and bikes, and "Prince of Darkness" Lucas left me stranded more often than I can remember. Sill, y old, stinky underpowered engines aside, MGBs and some Triumphs were really fun iconic cars, and I love then dearly. I just am over putzing around with 65 whp. Know what I mean?

So as a project I have been pondering a V8/V6 conversion into an otherwise solid MGB or TR7. Well, Lucas aside. I've done a lot of my research homework. I want something powerful enough to have a quick sled but not so powerful the chassis, and the rear end are overwhelmed. So the "sweet spot" seems to be 200-250hp/200tq. Much more that and the axle gets stressed, especially if one beefs up the tires. I want a fun 9.5:1 hp/wt "sleeper" ride, not a 5:1 Cobra experience. Besides, if one goes south of that 9:5, with the cost of beefing up the suspension & axle, now we are getting close to Cobra project territory.

There are several conversion kits on the market and all have their good and bad points IMO. But I am intrigued about the V6/T5 conversion in either an MGB or TR7. that 225hp is what those cars should have been in the first place.

That said, my knowledge on the V6 and EFI is limited, which is why I'm here. I am looking for info on v6's from RWD cars, and how to squeeze 225/200 hp/tq out of one cost-effectively. Because of import restrictions buying a salvage car is out of the question. Beyond standard remanufactured crate motors built to original specs, I can't find anyone who offers carbed/cammed/ported crate motors for a '91-'95 Camaro/Firebird/S-10 for my project.

So I'm here to suck up as much knowledge as possible.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Welcome A lot of info on here but not nearly as active as it used to be. The MGB with 225 whp is ridiculous. The torque is just absurd, but I don't really have much experience with that kind of hp/wt since most of my cars have been 3300 lbs.

Maybe someone knows how to get your hp goals with the iron heads and a carb?. No one is going to offer a carbed aluminum head setup unless you want it demolition derby style sticking out of the hood bolted to the top of the stock manifold. 93-95 camaro are the 3.4. 90-92 are the 3.1. They used a distributor until the 3.4 in 93 and its going to be at the back of the engine. Aluminum heads are all distributorless but the spot is there to put one if you can clear the manifolds. This isn't something I deal with either but the demolition derby guys have. Probably be an even bigger issue in an MGB that way.

Going SFI isn't that difficult if you can run fuel lines, install a fuel pump an filter, and add a fuse for the PCM. Install a wideband into the exhaust, or just clip on in the exhaust to tune it and run without it otherwise if you want. Use a knock sensor, or don't. Its as simple as can be if you want, for an EFI system. The goal for wot-tech is to be able to test engines and also offer dyno testing of new builds, and turn key computer/wiring harness that would already be dialed in for a fresh motor. I would recommend keeping a wideband in the exhaust to keep an eye on things but thats honestly the best anyone could do.

Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Working...
    X