Supercharger Fabrication completed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supercharger Fabrication completed

The Fageol supercharger kit made for the Iron head 2.8 v6 has a low profile manifold that allows it to clear stock hoods. Because of this the manifold has no provision for any pop off plate whatsoever. Being the the 60 degree v6 is so narrow , this manifold is already extended in its design to allow for the long and narrow extruded max 25 Fageol supercharger and therefore the front features the thermostat mount as well as three thermocouple bosses for various sensors.

The manifold also features a 50 state legal egr passage system which runs under the plenum area. Because of these features no extra space is available anywhere for a pop off. Under the normal usage of the supercharger kit a pop off is not nessesary. Reasons for this include the serpentine belt slipping if a backfire were to occour and moderate boost levels.

In my circumstance the supercharger will be run at higher boost levels and will also be aided with the wet 5153 tbi nos nitrous system.

I felt it nessesary to provide a escape path for the air to travel in the event that a backfire should occour. The smallest BDS backfire plate kit part number BDS-8026AK was aquired from Good Vibrations Motorsports in Whittier Califorina(1-562-945-7669) www.dragparts.com .

The fortal and 6061 aluminum used for the project was aquired from WWW.EBAY.COM and from sellers sciparts and speedymetals. The fortal bar just happened to be the right sized scrap which I had actually purchased for the Novas front and rear resevior Wet intercooler project , but oddly it ended up being just right to pursue the project.

The other aluminum I used was 6061 1/4" thick.

I first had the grueling task of cutting through the solid fortal slab with non other than a drill press to initiate the saw entry , then finished of with a skillsaw as well as a sawzall. Ironically despite many hours of cutting neither saws ruined a single blade. I am definately having the Nova intercooler water jet cut professionally but for this project the end results wre good and kept cost to a minimum.

The top half of the induction uses a holley tbi 670 cfm unit with a 5153 nos plate sitting on top of a 670 to 4 barrell holley adapter. The holley adapter sits on a fabricated 1/4" thick piece of 6061 aluminum rounding out the upper induction.

Below is where things got tricky. The stock fageol series superchargers mount with studs that are screwed into the case just adjecent to the case outlet. Stock studs protrude through the lower manifold and are secured with special nuts from the underside. Some of the studs because of their proximity to the lower manifold plenum protrude into the actual area where boost is present and into the egr passage below. This engineering feat in stock form uses copper washers to "seal" boost from entering the stud holes and entering the oil valley or egr passage. Originally when I ran the kit last year I had run it without these washers because I had bought the kit used and they were not included.

Normally I would just attept to recreate the mounting as it was originally designed but due to the pop off slab and the fact that I mini welded egr block off plates on the cylinder heads I had to come up with a slightly different approach.

Since I also wanted to be able to unbolt the supercharger from the top side posed another challange.

The solution ended up being a series of studs that attach the fortal pop off slab onto the lower manifold , however these studs only penetrate the upper mounting holes. Frome below the old exsisting stud hole provisions were tapped and bolts with teflon tape were screwed into place to keep the boost where it should be , in the plenum , not the oil valley.

With the aluminum slab mounted I then had to take two identical pieces of 6061 1/4" aluminum and mount one to the slab and another to the supercharger bottom. This required drilling the mounting holes as well as counter sinking them 3/32" and then drilling blanks out of the opposite plate so the allen heads would not interfere with the mating of the two plates. I used the 8 holes on the base of the blower to mount one section and 6 bolts to mount the other plate to the slab using helicoils. Then each piece had to be cut out to allow air to folw through them, meanwhile all this had to be mocked up in the engine bay to make sure it was all inline with the belt system.

Today I have to clean all the parts and handmake gaskets, then all I have to do Is wait for the headers to come back from jet hot , assemble, wire then Its should come alive!

1992 Chevrolet S10
    2.8 v6 tbi 5 speed

Looks great. I can't wait to hear that thing is running, and actually see how well it all works.

Comment

Sounds like that was a lot of work, but the end product looks killer! This is going to be an interesting finished project
      Ben
      60DegreeV6.com
      WOT-Tech.com

Comment

will this bolt up to the 3100

Comment

No, because the port orientation between the aluminum and iron heads is quite different.
          -Brad-
          89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
          sigpic
          Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Working...
          X