No announcement yet.

3.1 V6 Turbo build in Beretta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay guys, i already got alot of Turbo parts and i am thinking about to get a T28 turbo, exactly a Garrett GT28RS. I think this should be a nice performance upgrate to the stock T25 turbo with what TGPs came with. But i am still open to other turbos you got good experiences with on the 3.1 V6 engine.
    Also thinking about to rebuild another engine i will get for the turbo build. And i wonder what i can do to make some more power in higher rpms... I was thinking about a camshaft, some head and intake porting to maybe hit an rpm limit of 6500rpm. Right now i have a stock engine and it gets out of breath at right before 5500 rpm but i am not sure if it will make power at some higher rpms with the turbo then without doing engine mods to it. So id like to see what you guys think what i can do to get more power in higher rpms and still be safe.

Comment

You'd need to change to a 3400/3500 type top end for sightly higher RPM. But considering cost, it's cheaper putting a 3400 or a 3500 with a crank trigger. Then boost that engine. You can go fast with the 3.1 still since it still produces so much torque with boost. 400lbs is good. Kuntzie from the tgpforums kept braking axles with that. My GTU had problems with just 12psi and I can say that you don't need rpm when there's so much torque=less drama.

300hp is about all the 3.1 will take without going to race fuel or swaping to 3X00 top end (3X00 make more hp but less torque-tradoff has to do with intake tune resonance), then consider the stock pistons and rods. You can brake those tops off the pistons or bend the rods. SO map out a setup with that in mind. The 3X00 isn't that far off too since were talking stock bottom end.
      Gt28rs is good but more costly than a t04e hybrid with a t3 turbine unless you find a good deal. Personally spending more than $600 on a turbo alone for less than 350hp is crazy.

If you want more, consider a bottom end investment first before even looking at spending hard earned cash on top end and turbo stuff. THen look at keeping the trans alive.
      88 Beretta GTU turbo . 90 Black ASC/McLaren TGP, awaiting 4t80. 2003 Grand AM se 3400/4t45 daily grind.

Comment

Also, the TGP .bin file has a difference in A/c function. THe switching on the a/c lines is different. I didn't figure it out since my compressor died. Also hard wire the boost control to pin F2 if you want electronic boost control. Everything else is fine. Just cut the eprom out and flash the TGP bin to a flash prom and tune. Motes is good. I made my own obd1 cable but emulation is king with a wideband.
        88 Beretta GTU turbo . 90 Black ASC/McLaren TGP, awaiting 4t80. 2003 Grand AM se 3400/4t45 daily grind.

Comment

Thanks TurboGTU! Do you know when i am going with completly stock turbo setup from the Grand Prix, will the TGP chip will fit my Beretta? I maybe would go this route first if that chip is plug and play and the engine will run just fine with the turbo parts.
          Also, i read somewhere i have to "relocate" the trans mount when i do this turbo swap... do you know more about that?

Comment

Yes, it will just pop in the computer. Forget the trans mount, make a new better x-over pipe.

Comment

So i could use a TGP chip and then get a bigger turbo+ injectors and tune it with a wideband? I heard someone do custom TGP chips too... Do you know where i can get one?
              Last edited by michael; 06-24-2011, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Does anyone recomment to use Megasquirt for this swap? Anyone has experiences with it?

Comment

it all really depends on how much time/money you want to spend on your build... A few people have used megasquirt with awesome results, but it takes time. TGP prom is your quickest route to go with obd1. When you want to run bigger injectors and higher boost, have a custom prom made. I've been colleting turbo stuff for my beretta for years. But that's because I've wanted the perfect set-up. If you do this, you'll end up like me 3 yrs later, lots of awesome stuff in boxes, yet no boost yet.
                  You may or may not know 10 times what i do.
                  ASE Master certified. Just means I can take tests. GM ASEP Graduate.
                  95' Z26, ported/cammed 3400/3500, OBD2, 282, T3T4. Boxes almost all empty..

Comment

Working...
                  X