3.8l m62 supercharger on 2.8l 60* v6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HOYS View Post
    My post was saying that having the tubing like that will look very bad (mandrel or crush) and will be a pain in the rear. There is a reason why supercharger setups in Longitudinal mounted cars have the extra shaft and pulleys so the TB inlet can be at the front of the car.
    That's only because the RWD car you posted is using a FWD charger since they are so cheap. A typical RWD setup has the TB/Carb on the top or front.
    Links:
    WOT-Tech.com
    FaceBook
    Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
      That's only because the RWD car you posted is using a FWD charger since they are so cheap. A typical RWD setup has the TB/Carb on the top or front.
      ..and OP is using a FWD charger. My point still stands.

Comment

My post was saying that having the tubing like that will look very bad (mandrel or crush) and will be a pain in the rear. There is a reason why supercharger setups in Longitudinal mounted cars have the extra shaft and pulleys so the TB inlet can be at the front of the car.
        ..and OP is using a FWD charger. My point still stands.
        That's not how you said it.
        Links:
        WOT-Tech.com
        FaceBook
        Instagram

Comment

The problem I see with the tubing setup for the throttle body is that the engine moves. The mounts are down low so the further off the top of the engine the more it will sway when revved under load. Having the TB come off or smack into the refrigerant lines would be a disaster.

With the charger protruding above the hood line, are you going to use a cowl induction hood? It looks like it would be much easier/safer to make a wedge shape TB adapter to angle the TB up away from the body a bit and then use either a cone filter or tubing with silicone couplers or some other form of flex fitting to an air filter. At least this way if something comes off while testing you don't have your engine revving out of control or any other serious problems. Judging by the mounting plate you made, you have access to the tools and materials needed to make a nice TB adapter out of aluminum.

Comment

The Eaton m90 has been put on the 3800 f-bodies a few times now, and they do something similar to the OP's design.
            Links:
            WOT-Tech.com
            FaceBook
            Instagram

Comment

That's a different animal. The 60 degree is taller plus he has all the intakes stacked on and a ~1 1/2" adapter. No doubt it's sitting a solid 5" higher than it would on a 3800. I'm not saying it can't be done I just thought he might be looking for input on the build in progress. If he does go for a cowl induction hood it makes sense to draw in air from there as opposed to adding a couple feet of tubing.

Comment

from looking at the first pics, i too was wondering about the TB.

my first guess was that he was doing away with the BBV and was feeding air to the SC from the stock TB in the original upper/ now lower intake manifold. i edited his pics to show what i was thinking. maybe this idea can work? but it will be at the expense of the BBV.

it would need a block off plate inside of the old upper intake manifold so that the TB would send the air to the old port for the BBV. then into the rotors then down into the old intake manifold to go to the runners so from the setup he has now the old upper intake and his adapter plate would both need modification now.

i have seen some cars that cut holes in the fire wall and ran pipe thru it because of the lack of space. i think it was a fox body mustang running a crazy big turbo... and to make the pipe layout clean... they ran a 90* elbow off the carb into the fire wall .... wait it went to an intercooler in the trunk! was a Water to Air IC and it had a big ice tank for it.

ever think of trying to move the engine mounts forward? or using a northstar TB or other TB that is shorter?
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X