How much boost and hp can a 98 3100 handle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much boost and hp can a 98 3100 handle

Im building a 98grand prix 3100 goal is 300hp I have acouple old turbos but idk how much boost the stock bottom end can handle safely any tips that can help me reach 300hp for this motor I have another im working on but thats along way off so thank you for any and all tips in advance

I believe i replied on FB but you can get away with 300hp all day long as long as you tune it well and stay away from tons of detonation. My stock bottom end has taken a lot of hp and tq sent though it and kept up with me for a few years now.
    BorgWarner S366 3.1/3100 Turbo Thirdgen
    1/4 mile best 11.59@119mph
    1/8 mile best 7.47@94.9Mph

A 11.70 Pass https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoxC...aSKRMi9Jn94Ubg

Comment

Yea I've seen you car on YouTube before how many mile on the motor when you put on the turbo or was it a fresh build

Comment

The first thing I would do is get a large port top end, before adding boost. This will make more power right off the top, but also require less boost to push the same amount of air through those restrictive intakes.

What are the specs on the turbos you have? They may or may not be a good fit for the application and while even poorly matched turbos will (usually ) make more power than N/A, if they are used outside of their efficiency ranges they can be limiting potential power.
        Last edited by Guest; 06-18-2015, 10:08 PM.

Comment

I have two stock Volvo s60 r 2000. 2003 and a lightly used garret turbo idk what kind I picked it up for 10 bucks at a gs they knew nothing about it I'd get a newer one just for my car but I'd want the car running a tuned ffor turbo before I drop mad coin on a newer one. Bit I maxed out my ports I ported the heads , intake manifold upper and lower with a larger tb and maf flow wize all I need is headers I have 2.5 dp back cat delete resonator delete to a cts muffler

Comment

What turbo would you suggest? For around 300

Comment

I don't care how much you've ported that top end, it will never match the flow of a large port top end. You're seriously limiting your potential by using it. I've been there, done that.

IIRC the Volvo turbo is smaller than the T3 I used on my small port 3.2L hybrid (same top end you have) and the T3 I had was too small, at least for anything over about 5 PSIG and ZERO gains over 7 PSIG.

If you're really wanting to turbo the engine find something that will match your engine and proposed use, without choking on either in the intake side or the exhaust side.

Different turbos will need different tuning, just because you get it tuned with one turbo doesn't mean that it will work with another turbo. Different spool characteristics, different flow rates, etc change what tuning is required.

I can understand wanting to use what you have kicking around, but sometimes that costs more in the end than getting better parts to start with.

Comment

I under stand its just a thought to save alil money. How much hp did you get out of your set up

Comment

Im noy looking to make a monster out of this motor I just want around 300hp hell I'd be happy with 280 hell 270

Comment

My original engine had about 110k miles on it. I rebuilt the motor though 1 1/2 years ago when I did they hybrid swap because I used fwd pistons on a rwd block.

Ravens right get 2000+ heads off a 3100 or iirc 98 and up 3400 heads. They flow much better then the small port design no matter what you do to the small ones. It's worth the time and effort.

For turbo sizing? Something arround a 61 mm minor, 81mm major, compressor wheel with a .70 AR on the cold side would be a good compressor to look at. For the hot side .84 or so AR with a 68mm/66mm wheel T3 housing on the hot side unless your looking at making a all out drag car. You could even go smaller for the AR on the hot side to ensure fast spool up. .63 or so. It depends on what you are going to do with the car.

I know it's a cheep turbo but I used a godspeed gt3582r for about 3 years and it spooled fast and made good power. Easily layer down 400hp on 15 psi. It's about 250 or 300 bucks off ebay. It's nothing compared to a name brand like pte, Borg warner, or garrett but it will work great for a while till you feel you can afford a solid new name brand unit.

Comment

Your running 15psi on the stock bottum end? Im planning for a 40 run car not a dig car I need to save my trans untill I get a built one what injectors are you running

Comment

Originally posted by joshua52mcclain View Post
                        Your running 15psi on the stock bottum end? Im planning for a 40 run car not a dig car I need to save my trans untill I get a built one what injectors are you running

Im running that and a tad above sometimes for the past 3 years and at least 200 passes at the track. The stock bottom end, at least on the RWD 3.1 is damm stout. And can take a good amount of power before it breaks. Knock on wood....

Comment

Nice i love your car its alot more respectable to me to build a so called low power engine than to build easy power aka the 3800 sc yea its easy but weres the fun in that I've been contemplating going for the 300hp na I've been finding more and more 60degree parts sites im thinking if I can get 300hp na in a decent budget id rather go na we'll see it'll be a long road ahead

Comment

Thanks man, its taken alot of work to get my car where it is.

Yea building up a 3400, 3500, or 3900 is fun and believe me you can hit some big hp goals. Toss on a turbo someday and its all over. Its a power house with boost. i just have a little 3.1L and even with that little amount of CI i still make as much power as many cars in my sportsman class at the race track. And i get good mpgs and have a full interior minus a/c.

Comment

Hi fasteddi thanks for all the help but I've put the brakes on my 3.1 grand prix im finish it as is no turbo just the p&p and acouple little things because I was recently given this 89 2.8l 5 speed firebird wich is going to be my go-fast car im planning to use the 2.8 bottom end maybe upgrade the bearings have it balanced maybe larger bore .20 over larger pistons the ported 3400heads with 3.5 upper plenum and a nice shiny turbo how do you think I should go about the bottom end

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437P using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X