Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just wondering if anyone would be interested...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just wondering if anyone would be interested...

I have just recently built my interface cable for my '92 Lumina 3.1 and used Andy Whittaker's FreeScan software.

I noted that the output of the logging function was just a comma delimted text file.

So, since I'm a Visual FoxPro developer by day, I quickly created an app that will "play" the .CSV files created by FreeScan.

Here is a link to a screenshot.

It will display all of the relevant data contained within the .CSV log file with the ability to "play" the data at .5X and 1X-10X of realtime.

It gives me the option to see what I had just driven while keeping my eyes the road but yet review every detail later.

If anybody would be interested in something like this, I will further develope and fine tune this software. I think the GPL would be a good licence for this project.

The reason I'm doing this is because I'm having a hard time finding why my idle is sometimes choppy. Not stall choppy, just not the smoothest idle I've ever experienced. I've changed the sparkplugs, wire, removed and cleaned the IAC. I also get no codes. If some poor soul would take pity of me and look at my .CSV log from when the idle was choppy and tell me what you think, I would be most appreciative. Thanks!

Thanks

Scott

Will it work with all .csv log files? Say for instance the Autotap logs?
    If so I would be highly interested. Sounds like a great idea

Robert

Comment

Your O2 sensor looks fine, which was my first guess. It really doesn't seem all that bad looking at this file though. Raising the idle RPM a bit might help, since some cars like to have the desired idle raised to 750-800 when fully warmed up. The IAC isn't pegged either way which is perfect,and your fuel isn't that bad, 120 BLM with a 128ish INT. I didnt see the RPM dip lower than 675, which is about right for it when its set to try to idle at 700. I think the easiest way is to raise your idle in the computer to 800 at fully warmed up. Your battery is slightly on the low side. I think my voltage at idle was 14.1, and yours is around 13.8. That shouldn't matter much. Maybe the Alt is old?

Everything looks ok though in that file. Does it decel/idle ok while driving around and coming to a stop?
      Ben
      60DegreeV6.com
      WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Originally posted by rjmjr69
        Will it work with all .csv log files? Say for instance the Autotap logs?
        If so I would be highly interested. Sounds like a great idea

Robert
        So far, all I have access to is FreeScan. I'm reading the .CSV one line at a time into a temporary cursor then counting out 25 commas in each record of that cursor. Then I take the data between those commas and store it to a variable and then place those variables in another temporary cursor that it used when you push play. The only thing I would have to do is, besides having access to a .CSV created by Autotap, is create another chunk of code to convert Autotaps log file to my internal cursor format. All cursors are deleted when you close the app, but the .CSVs are opened read only, as not to change anything inside of them. So it would be possible. If you want to post a .CSV from Autotap, I'll take a shot at it and see what I can do.

Comment

Originally posted by SappySE107
          Your O2 sensor looks fine, which was my first guess. It really doesn't seem all that bad looking at this file though. Raising the idle RPM a bit might help, since some cars like to have the desired idle raised to 750-800 when fully warmed up. The IAC isn't pegged either way which is perfect,and your fuel isn't that bad, 120 BLM with a 128ish INT. I didnt see the RPM dip lower than 675, which is about right for it when its set to try to idle at 700. I think the easiest way is to raise your idle in the computer to 800 at fully warmed up. Your battery is slightly on the low side. I think my voltage at idle was 14.1, and yours is around 13.8. That shouldn't matter much. Maybe the Alt is old?

Everything looks ok though in that file. Does it decel/idle ok while driving around and coming to a stop?
          Thanks for looking at my data. I'm not sure of the age of the alt (maybe this is a sign that I should change it). But I've owned the car for a little over two years. I've always noticed little things about the lights in my car. The way the headlights dim for a split second when I step on the brakes when comming to a stop sign. I'll look more into the alt. As for the IAC, it's working really well because last weekend I took it out and cleaned it up. The funny thing about this choppiness is that it goes away the second you give the engine a little fuel. So driving and coming to a stop and going from a stop up to speed, are just fine.

Thanks for looking at the data!

Comment

I will get one up right away thank you so much.

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by rjmjr69
              I will get one up right away thank you so much.

Robert
              I'll be awaiting the file.

Comment

Working...
              X