Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.4 went bad

Hi,
    Im new to the site, and i need some help. I just got news from my chevy dealer that my 3.4 Monte engine is pumping coolent into the oil. My father and i started to break down the engine, and we are kind of in trouble. We dont know if we should just rebuild it, or buy a whole new 3.4 or swap it out for a 3.8 supercharged engine. I have a 1995 Monte so i need all the help i can get. Thanks

It depends on what you wanna spend and what your goal is. I prefer to rebuild the engine and blueprint/balance since stock GM tolerances are bullshit but if you want the cheapest route, there is a new engine on w-body.com for 500 bucks right now that will drop right in for you.
    Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Im really not looking for that much speed out of it, I have a Z28. I was just wondering how hard it would be to put a 3800 in. My dads go one in his Grand Prix and is so easy to work on.

Comment

This site focuses on the 60V6 engines.
        Ben
        60DegreeV6.com
        WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Ok, I'm done now...
          1995 Grand Am GT
          3400 V6 / 4T60-E / Engine Swap
          3400 Engine Swap Guide Version 2.5 is Available!
          www.3400swap.com

Comment

Usually gong from the 60 degree to the 90 degree is more then just motor mounts. Your radiator, wiring, throttle cable and PCM have to change for starters. Then you have exhaust and all the rest- easier to purchase a 3.8L model car first!

If you have not rebuilt an engine in teh past, save yourself the time of taking it to a machine shop and just purchase a rebuilt from GM or one of your local machine shops.
            Good luck,
            -BMC.
            MG & MGB V6 + V8 Engine Conversion Shop

1982 Chevrolet S10 long box with another L32 SFI!
            1980 MGB with Camaro L32 3.4L SFI V6
            2000 Venture 3400 (for her)
            Spitfire L32 3.4L
            "Experimentals"
            and more conversions all the time.

Comment

I think the 3.4DOHC configuration in the monte's is one of the worst to work on. But if you are pulling it who cares they are all easy to work on out of the car. I think for your case, rebuilding like sappy says would be the best bet and cheapest. Cause you know exactly what is done, all tolerences, parts used etc.

Don't let us down and go for a 3800.

Lyle

Comment

It sound's like head gaskets anyway, you can change those in a day on your drive way. Do that instead of a whole rebuild.

Lyle

Comment

I'm going to try and keep the 3.4. Does anyone know of a good place to get the heads machined in chi town. And any pointers on getting the timing belt back on? Thanks for the posts guys

Comment

Machined how? I dont know any machine shops in chicago but if you just want them decked, cleaned, and a valve job then a machine shop is your best bet.
                    Ben
                    60DegreeV6.com
                    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Working...
                    X