Newb Looking for Recommendations for my Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newb Looking for Recommendations for my Project

Well it's not officially a "project" yet since it's still a driver, but the factory 4-banger is on it's last legs. I think you will all agree that a 60V6 is the perfect fit for this car. It's a 1966 Sunbeam (Hillman) Minx. It currently has a Rootes 1725 and Borg Warner auto front/rear config. The car weighs 2100 lb. Here are a couple pics:

I was initially looking at the 3.6 and 6-speed manual from a CTS (how fun would that be?), but it seems the 3.6 may be too big a can-o-worms. There are a few at local yards so if someone convinces me to go for it I will...

That said, I am now looking for recommendations for this project since I know very little about the 60V6 family. I do have fab skills so making tranny crossmembers, engine mounts, exhaust is not a problem. Here's what I want:
    • Lightweight
    • 185 HP minimum
    • DOHC would be cool, but I'm OK with pushrods too
    • Ease of install
    • Complete project budget of ~$3000
    • I'm ok with doing a little mix/matching but prefer not to build from scratch
    • No Turbos (keep it simple) ...maybe later

So what do you say?
    Last edited by Frizzle Fry; 11-15-2008, 09:46 AM.

Get those pics working so I can see this thing I have a 79 MGB that I am putting a 3500 LX9 in. 3100 3400 or 3500 would be my suggestion, though for the budget I would go 3400 block with 3500 heads and lower intake and 3400 upper or 3500 upper (3500 is slightly taller).

You don't run power steering I imagine, and obd1 tuned 3400s put out well over their rated hp, especially with better exhaust than the stock manifolds. If 3500 manifolds fit, that is a cheap option. Otherwise headers. TCE has some MGB headers in the works but again, not quite sure how close our projects would be. Tuning won't be a problem, especially if you are either near indiana, or had a chip burner there. I have a chip that works pretty well in 3400 MGBs and fieros with manual. Problem so far is getting the speedo signal to the ECM so it knows how fast the car is going (in the MGB).
    Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Pics fixed. When you say "for the budget" are you limiting or expanding? In other words is the 3400 block cheaper or does the budget allow for playing around more? What is the advantage of using a 3400 block over simply going full 3500?

No it doesn't have power steering. I may have to convert to R&P when I do this because the centerlink actually runs across the firewall. But I'll keep it manual.

Comment

Problem with the 3500 block is that unless you run a standalone ECM that will understand the stock crank trigger, you need to get an external crank trigger for it.
        -Brad-
        89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
        sigpic
        Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Right, and for space that may be an issue. The TCE front cover for the MGB has the trigger built in for using the 3500 block. The 3400 block can use camaro or 3.4 DOHC pistons to raise compression, which makes it cheaper to get more power from that way. Cam and valvetrain is all the same between them. The 3500 weighs more because of the forged steel crank vs the nodular iron crank of the 3400. 3400s are cheaper usually as well.
          Ben
          60DegreeV6.com
          WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Alright, so the 3400 is a little lighter and has a trigger that's easily used? But the 3500 heads flow better? What's the simpler solution to swap heads of just but the aftermarket front cover/trigger. What sources/donors do you recommend for a RWD engine/tranny (prefer manual)?

Comment

You wont find a 3400 in a rear configuration you will have to make some modifications to do that. But the transmission you can. I think your only option really is a T5. An S-10 had World Class T5's in 92 and 93 the shifter is about 6" further forward than the Camaro trans and it stands straight up. The Camaro transmission is clocked towards the driver a bit and has the shifter further back. The Camaro also has a higher first gear and I believe second as well which made is a closer ratio transmission. With your weight I don't think you need the deeper first gear of the truck T5.

I believe you can also use a Mustang T5 if you find a late model Chevy bellhousing from 92 or 93 when they switched to WC versions of the T5.
              1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
              1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
              Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

Working...
              X