Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1995 Camaro Engine Swap Compatabilities

Posted on behalf of liquidmetal97...

Hey everyone! I am new to this web site, so i figured I'd start with a good post for my first one.
    I am currently going to be swapping out the engine in my 1995 Base Camaro, 3.4L V6. The engine currently in it has a left head gasket leak, is from a 1994 Camaro that the previous owner swapped out, and has 160 000 km's on it. It's running a bit hot, and I found rust in the rad fluid when I flushed it in June, and the rad fan stopped spinning after the flush (sensor issue, replaced relay, tested motor, continuity in wires etc..) so it's definitely time to swap out this old engine...
    I was just wondering WHAT models would be compatible for this vehicle. It's an iron head engine currently, rear wheel drive. I know the engine has to be non VVT (the ecu can't handle VVT) but what models would work? I was told an 04-05 Malibu may work.. Grand Am's maybe? Not too sure about the mounting points or anything so was hoping for some insight.
    Would greatly appreciate the help! Thanks guys
    v6 for life!
    -Brad-
    89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
    sigpic
    Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

God... if you pull a V6 please start with a V8 drop.

LT1,LS1 so cheap to do now.

Comment

meh, a 3500 would be a great swap in that, with a decent cam and headers it would perform pretty well. ask me how i know
      Past Builds;
      1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
      1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
      Current Project;
      1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Originally posted by Roadbastard View Post

Find me a cheap LS1
        Ben
        60DegreeV6.com
        WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Originally posted by SappySE107 View Post
          Find me a cheap LS1
          What do you mean? You can get em for around 2K. They're harder to find at the yard though they don't stay around long. Though I don't care for em. I prefer the iron LT's they're somewhat cheaper to build up. Depending on what you want to do but it's a lot cheaper now to do the 6-8 swap than it was 5-6 years ago.

Comment

For 2k, id buy a 3.6 DOHC, but im all about 60V6s:P I don't consider 2k cheap for a motor when that gets me 8 3500 V6s.
            Ben
            60DegreeV6.com
            WOT-Tech.com

Comment

It's so easy, eh?

Let's start with the engine, $2k, what about trans, PCM, wiring harness, injectors, exhaust, radiator, cooling system etc etc. I have been around f-bodies long enough to know that if you want a v8 car, buy a v8 car - the ONLY economical way is to buy a wrecked v8 car as a donor unless you just happen to have all the parts laying around.

Besides the LT1 came with, what, 300bhp? The 3500 weighs over 300lbs less and has over 200bhp with it's DBW, more with a real throttle cable.
              Links:
              WOT-Tech.com
              FaceBook
              Instagram

Comment

the new thing seems to be finding 5.3 and 6.0 truck motors and swapping them into everything with wheels... they can be had for pretty cheap but it's still not an easy swap.

with some slightly modified motor mounts a 3500 would bolt right in, using the 3.4's timing cover and accessories with a 3400 UIM it would fit and work with almost all the stock stuff. Add a cam, headers and a good converter and you have a very healthy daily driver. It would also get very good gas mileage.
                Past Builds;
                1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
                1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
                Current Project;
                1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                  It's so easy, eh?

Let's start with the engine, $2k, what about trans, PCM, wiring harness, injectors, exhaust, radiator, cooling system etc etc. I have been around f-bodies long enough to know that if you want a v8 car, buy a v8 car - the ONLY economical way is to buy a wrecked v8 car as a donor unless you just happen to have all the parts laying around.

Besides the LT1 came with, what, 300bhp? The 3500 weighs over 300lbs less and has over 200bhp with it's DBW, more with a real throttle cable.
                  Trust me, you can get all that stuff for a very very very good price it just depends on what your goals are, especially when fully assembled LT's are around 1K now. Although this guy never said. Sure you can get V6's for cheap they are econo motors but the 8's for the camaro's are performance motors so they will cost a little more than the 6's. However, for performance you won't find a better deal really than swapping to the LT or LS. pcm.injectors, harnesses can all be had for cheap. This is just the wrong forum/place to talk about Camaro engine swaps.

If someone wants to stay with a 6 for the purpose of just keeping the car going with a moderate upgrade, the V6 is more sensible. But, if your trying looking to get something that rumbles and tune go with the 8. Some V6-V8 swaps are more difficult than others but the F-body swaps are simple and straight forward. Of course the point from doing the V6 to V8 swap in an F body isn't about just replacing the motor for the sake of it, it's all about the performance upgrade. The LT cam factory with about 275hp. But even with a simple hotcam kit you can push out 330hp to the wheels.

Anyway, I was just originally making a comment about the motor swap.
                  I doubt OP is really interested in that. He/she is just trying to get their car running.

Comment

I guess I'm just a retard for swapping a GM V6 into a Mustang then... lol!

Brad via Tapatalk
                    -Brad-
                    89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
                    sigpic
                    Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Trust me, you can get all that stuff for a very very very good price it just depends on what your goals are, especially when fully assembled LT's are around 1K now. Although this guy never said. Sure you can get V6's for cheap they are econo motors but the 8's for the camaro's are performance motors so they will cost a little more than the 6's. However, for performance you won't find a better deal really than swapping to the LT or LS. pcm.injectors, harnesses can all be had for cheap. This is just the wrong forum/place to talk about Camaro engine swaps.

If someone wants to stay with a 6 for the purpose of just keeping the car going with a moderate upgrade, the V6 is more sensible. But, if your trying looking to get something that rumbles and tune go with the 8. Some V6-V8 swaps are more difficult than others but the F-body swaps are simple and straight forward. Of course the point from doing the V6 to V8 swap in an F body isn't about just replacing the motor for the sake of it, it's all about the performance upgrade. The LT cam factory with about 275hp. But even with a simple hotcam kit you can push out 330hp to the wheels.

Anyway, I was just originally making a comment about the motor swap.
                      I doubt OP is really interested in that. He/she is just trying to get their car running.
                      "Cheap" is relative. It will cost more time/money to do a swap than you could just buy a v8 car for.
                      Links:
                      WOT-Tech.com
                      FaceBook
                      Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by bszopi View Post
                        I guess I'm just a retard for swapping a GM V6 into a Mustang then... lol!

Brad via Tapatalk

Or the resident rabid guinea pig.

Sent from my Galaxy Prevail using Tapatalk.
                        Last edited by pocket-rocket; 09-07-2011, 01:26 PM.
                        -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                        91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                        92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                        94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                        Originally posted by Jay Leno
                        Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

you could get a ls engine iron block 5.3 truck engine for under $1000. dont you guys read "hot rod" or "car craft" or anything? look on ebay? car-part.com? omg put a v8 in the thing! otherwise just fix what you got and be happy with it.
                          this is the first at the top of the list on ebay. these engines run forever and love boost! bullet-proof!

These engines are like hondas, the parts are so cheap and easy to find! like summit headers for like $150-200 (educated guess) compared to headers for our cars which people are asking $750 for a set?
                          Last edited by Daguse5853Z; 09-07-2011, 09:24 PM.
                          95 Z26 3400/OBDII/GETRAG

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                            "Cheap" is relative. It will cost more time/money to do a swap than you could just buy a v8 car for.
                            I dont agree with that statement either. I've built a few cars for cheaper then I could have bought it for. like my 96 S10 in the off topic section. Can you find a 4.3 5 speed with 78,000 miles on it for $2000? Thats what it cost me not counting my time involved. or my 97 Cavalier Z24 5 speed with 78,000 miles (yeah same mileage) for under 1000? you save alot of money when you do ALL the work yourself.....but then again im not married either
                            95 Z26 3400/OBDII/GETRAG

Comment

Originally posted by Daguse5853Z View Post
                              you could get a ls engine iron block 5.3 truck engine for under $1000. dont you guys read "hot rod" or "car craft" or anything? look on ebay? car-part.com? omg put a v8 in the thing! otherwise just fix what you got and be happy with it.
                              this is the first at the top of the list on ebay. these engines run forever and love boost! bullet-proof!

These engines are like hondas, the parts are so cheap and easy to find! like summit headers for like $150-200 (educated guess) compared to headers for our cars which people are asking $750 for a set?
                              Why doesn't anyone understand you need all the v8 related parts including a transmission. Not that it can't be done but I have seen many many guys swap and they all wished they sold their v6 car and just bought one with a v8 in it. So, you can get the parts for $2k and do the work yourself when in reality you can sell your v6 car (even non-running) and add that $2k to it and just drive off with your v8.

Originally posted by Daguse5853Z View Post
                              I dont agree with that statement either. I've built a few cars for cheaper then I could have bought it for. like my 96 S10 in the off topic section. Can you find a 4.3 5 speed with 78,000 miles on it for $2000? Thats what it cost me not counting my time involved. or my 97 Cavalier Z24 5 speed with 78,000 miles (yeah same mileage) for under 1000? you save alot of money when you do ALL the work yourself.....but then again im not married either
                              I am extremely familiar with budget racing and building. We built a track monster for $2k, but have hundreds maybe even thousands of man hours into it. Another team used that same 5.3 motor you linked in their car (they even used the same car) and we smoked them with our turbo 6. We were almost a 1/2 ton lighter.

And ads far as headers, you are comparing apples to oranges. There are headers out there for the v6 that are that cheap, but they aren't the same quality they are for the ones you pay $700 for. Just like you have Chinese headers and Headman or even Burns for the V8.

The OP asked what motors will bolt up on a 60v6 discussion board, the trans, cooling, wiring and mounts in the car are not v8 ready.
                              Links:
                              WOT-Tech.com
                              FaceBook
                              Instagram

Comment

Working...
                              X