No announcement yet.

AW4 to 3.4 conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Rodeo 3.1L or Trooper 2.8L is simply a GM 60degree V6. However it is a bit of an odd ball. It uses a front wheel drive block with iron heads and a rear wheel drive intake. So the starter is on the driver side which should work in your application you just have to drill the block and move the starter if using an Isuzu bellhousing. NONE of the V6 engines in the Isuzu trucks used the AW4 they were ALL the 4L30E. The AW4 in Isuzu 4cyl applications all had and Isuzu bellhousing pattern, so taking a 4cyl bellhousing wont work. But it may be luck that a 4L30E bellhousing will bolt on to a AW4 and let everything work. It is removable. There are some on E-Bay and tons in the Junkyard.
    1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
    1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
    Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

Ok, hold on a second, you're saying that I could use a 2.8/3.1 Rodeo bellhousing? Will that fit an AW4? What is the 4l30e? Is it something like a reverse-engineered aw4? Forgive my questions but I am only going by what is posted on forums. Also, couldn't I just notch the bellhousing to fit the passenger starter?

Thx,

Cheers,

Comment

The 4L30E is a GM Transmission. Never used in North American cars but it was used in a lot of European Cars like BMW's. It is made in France by GM. I am not saying is WILL work I am just saying it might be possible. I see on the Isuzu Forum you are looking an Aisin bellhousing from a 3.5L This may be the ticket if Isuzu decided to us the GM pattern on it. The interesting thing about the 3.2L/3.5L family of Isuzu engines is that they had dual bellhousing patterns on the back. When they were bolted to an automatic GM Transmission they used the GM 60Degree Pattern. When they were bolted to the 5Speed they used the Isuzu pattern which is common the the 2.3L/2.6L 4Cyl. Now when they started using the 3.5L DI they determined the 4L30E would not be strong enough so they went with the Aisin transmission but is may be that they used the 60Degree Pattern and this could be the hot ticket.

find Jlemond and PM him he will know for certain and may even have one in stock.

Can you let us know what kind of project you are working on?

Comment

Yes I did find him and he wants $625+ for the bellhousing which is prohibitive. I'm trying to put an automatic in my 1984 jeep xj. I like the 3.4l in there now but unless I keep it standard I might to accept that is too lonely at this end of the world and replace my engine and tranny complete.

Cheers,

Comment

Personally I would keep it standard. But if you want an automatic why not use a 700R4 and skip the electronics and be done with it? The 700R4 would offer a lower first gear for better off roading.

Comment

Ya, I was hoping to make it auto for my wife to drive, but standard is ok too,

Cheers,

Comment

Working...
              X