Spitfire 3500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spitfire 3500

Hi guys, I'm new here so please bear with me.

I've pretty much decided on the LX9 engine to swap into my '63 Triumph Spitfire due to "bang for the buck" considerations but before I pull the trigger I'm wondering what the external dimensions of this engine are? Specifically total width at the cylinder heads and total height (pan to manifold) along with the distance from the bottom of the crank pulley to the top of the manifold.

I've just about worn out Google trying to find the answer with no joy, any help would be greatly appreciated.

17" wide
    28" tall
    21.5" bottom of crank pulley to top of manifold.
    Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Thank you very much.

I've been lurking here for awhile and gathering info for my parts list, so far I've come up with the following:

GM LX9 Engine
      27 lbs./hr injectors and MAF from a GMC 4.2 L6
      Fuel injector rail from a GM 3.4L engine
      65mm Throttle Body from an Olds Aurora & WOT-Tech TB Adapter
      2000 GRAND AM 3.4L ECM
      2000 Grand Prix 3.1 Engine Wiring Harness
      1994 Camaro 3.4L Engine Timing Cover and new Water Pump
      Serpentine Belt simplification kit for Camaro ''L32'' from BMC
      New sensors that will integrate with the ECM & Harness
      Mallory 4305M fuel pressure regulator
      External Crank Trigger Kit from WOT-Tech
      3100 Coil Pack & ICM
      EGR Delete Kit
      Custom 32" Headers

What am I missing?

Comment

The L32 belt simplification is for iron heads.
        sigpic
        "It's your car. Do with it what you wish, but as you enter this unknown world you will need to invent the wheel all over again. For the adventurous and those that are backyard mechanics who have nothing but time you might like this. Most have plenty of frustrating moments and the process usually takes significantly longer then what anyone could imagine. The end result of this conversion is completely up to you." - Jon McCullough of BMCautos.com

Comment

Not sure if the belt kit from BMC will work for your application. Another consideration is the hole locations in the heads being different than the iron heads may cause problems for accessory brackets.

The external crank trigger kit you are referring to will not work with the RWD pulley setup. We recently made a small batch of triggers designed for your application. The kit includes the CPS mount and a new dampener with the timing notches machined into it. See picture below of the prototype.

What transmission are you planning to use?

I don't know of anyone with FWD 60V6 Spitfire conversion but we have done a 3400 TR3 and have customers who have done or are doing TR6 conversions. The majority have been with 3400s but one of the in process ones is a 3900 swap.
          Attached Files
          MinusOne - 3100 - 4T60E
          '79 MGB - LZ9 - T5
          http://www.tcemotorsports.com
          http://www.britishcarconversions.com/lx9-conversion

Comment

OK, glad to know that, so my next question is what do I use since I won't have power steering or AC?

I'm using a T5 transmission.

Comment

Are you planning to use the stock rear end? I've got a 78 1500 in my father in-laws drive way and we've been going back and forth on what engine to put in it and I was kinda leery on the V6's due to possibly how much work is necessary from the engine back. I'm not so worried about the motor setup but more the transmission and rear end to handle the power increase.

He's already got a 76 fully restored and this is another one that he bought that needs quite a bit of work so that's why we were trying to think up a different motor for it.

Got Lope?
              3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
              Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
              Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
              12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

I'm using a narrowed Corvette IRS, the stock IRS is junk, it barely handles the stock 4 cylinder.

Comment

Ok sounds cool.

Got Lope?
                  3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
                  Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
                  Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
                  12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

I have Desktop Dyno 2003 and Engine Analyzer Pro 3.3 and get wildly varying results program to program.

How much HP/TQ can I realistically expect from an LX9 with a 65mm TB, high flow MAF, 27Lb injectors, ram air CAI, a high octane tune, (OBD II) and equal length headers?

Comment

i've dyno tuned similar builds and around 210 WHP is where they end up with a manual trans. probably around 240 ish @ the crank.
                      Past Builds;
                      1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
                      1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
                      Current Project;
                      1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Thanks Dave, that means Desktop Dyno is pretty close,it extrapolated 238/268, (HP/TQ) EA Pro gave me 262/284 @ the crank.

I thought it might be the other way round since EA Pro allows you to be more precise on the inputs and DD is pretty generic in that regard.

Using those numbers in Dragstrip 2003 gives me an 11.66 @ 120mph in the 1/4 mile and 0-60 in 3.720 secs, not bad at all. .
                        Last edited by Spitfire; 12-06-2011, 11:57 AM.

Comment

man, that's not bad at all. I wish my car was that light... I'd be in the 10's.
                          Past Builds;
                          1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
                          1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
                          Current Project;
                          1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Heh, those numbers are with a 2500RPM launch, when I switched to 3500 RPM they came out as a 11.535 @ 120.2 mph and 0-60 in 3.541 seconds.

Oops, the above numbers are with the Cadillac CTS 6 speed transmission, I forgot to change it back to the T-5 gear box.

With the T-5 and a 3500 RPM launch I got a 11.547 @ 120.0 mph and 0-60 in 3.573 seconds, 0-100 mph in 7.987 seconds - not too shabby.

As far as weight goes I've even sandbagged it a bit with 35 extra Lbs just in case I go over what I've calculated the final weight of the car and myself to be. I also went with 340 Lbs engine weight even though the information I have is 350 Lbs because I won't be running PS or AC and I figured I would lose at least 10 Lbs that way.

Spit-3500.gif

Comment

Originally posted by Spitfire View Post
                              As far as weight goes I've even sandbagged it a bit with 35 extra Lbs just in case I go over what I've calculated the final weight of the car and myself to be. I also went with 340 Lbs engine weight even though the information I have is 350 Lbs because I won't be running PS or AC and I figured I would lose at least 10 Lbs that way.

I weighed a 3500 without P/S, A/C or alternator. It was 340lbs with the stock cast iron exhaust manifolds...

Links:
                              WOT-Tech.com
                              FaceBook
                              Instagram

Comment

Working...
                              X