• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 60v6 98 malibu running without thermostat

hi
    my car is chevy malibu 98 3.1 l engine

i have removed the thermostat completely the result as following

in city driving at less traffic or stop signals the temp. gauge at middle or just less, while heavy traffic and bumper to bumper driving temp. gauge start to move slowly to up ( which improvement than before with thermostat temp. go up quickly ) until the cooling fan start at the 2 slashes over the middle slash

at highway temp indicator set at first quarter of the dial or above by two slashes depending on the temp outside here in middle east and gulf area almost warm and average 45 c in summer time.

my question is it wrong to drive on highway with temp gauge reading at quarter of the dial. anybody try it before ?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ma7amad; 04-13-2014, 11:39 PM. Reason: attach photo
    chevy malibu 98 3.1 l
    range rover 98 autobiography
    range rover 4.6 l 2001 HSE

my car idles at almost the 3/4 dial mark and when driving at highway speeds it drops to the 1/2 mark but either way the car will not make heat. I have to check my thermostat and then try to bleed system again

Comment

Tune the computer to turn the fans on sooner, and thats it. If you hate your motor, keep running it with no stat.
      Ben
      60DegreeV6.com
      WOT-Tech.com

Comment

^Agreed Put the thermostat back in. These engines are designed to run best between about 190F and 220F.

I'm sure Dubai is pretty hot, If your car is consistently overheating (240-260+) then maybe try a 180F thermostat and add a pusher fan in front of the radiator if you have room.
        Past Builds;
        1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
        1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
        Current Project;
        1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

thanks everybody for appreciated response i attached this photo to show the temp gauge reading while i am driving at 120 km/h and ac on the temperature regulate just two slashes to the normal operating temp the issue which i think it shall not affect the engine health like when we run the car at cold start it takes long time to reach to middle of range and if we go through highway driving it also show the less than operating temp. the different between the two photos only the outside temp. 1 st photo ambient temp was 19 c at early morning the 2 nd was 34 c at middle of today.
          later in june to sep it well stay at 45 c so i will never run colder than this measures which i think the engine can afford or feel happy with running colder.
          Attached Files
          chevy malibu 98 3.1 l

Comment

Originally posted by ma7amad View Post
            later in june to sep it well stay at 45 c so i will never run colder than this measures which i think the engine can afford or feel happy with running colder.
            No you don't understand... the engine is happy at a STEADY 90°C not a constant 45°C-115°C swing. The thermostat serves a purpose, as mentioned above, if you don't like your engine feel free to leave it out.
            sigpic

"When you don't do anything, you have plenty of time to post questions that don't mean anything tomorrow."
            - Ben

Comment

If your car can not regulate the temp for what thermostat is installed then I think you have another cooling issue somewhere else.

Got Lope?
              3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
              Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
              Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
              12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

Originally posted by 3400-95-Modified View Post
                If your car can not regulate the temp for what thermostat is installed then I think you have another cooling issue somewhere else.
                this is what sticks out most to me.....

if cooling fan 1(or in this case, low fan speed) can keep it from rising further, i see nothing wrong, the system is working exactly as expected.

if fan #2(or high speed) has to happen to keep coolant temps under control...... that can still be normal depending on ambient temps and road conditions.

but if it can't be controlled at that point, something is seriously borked.
                1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
                Latest nAst1 files here!
                Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

I say this assuming of course the vehicle is in stock form because the cooling system that was designed for it was designed to be adequate enough to cool the engine in place.

Got Lope?
                  12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

There is no issue other than he thinks there is because of what the needle reads on the gauge compared to whatever it is he thinks it should be reading. A simple reflash for coolant fan temps would solve all of this.
                    Ben
                    60DegreeV6.com
                    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SappySE107 View Post
                        There is no issue other than he thinks there is because of what the needle reads on the gauge compared to whatever it is he thinks it should be reading. A simple reflash for coolant fan temps would solve all of this.
                        100% correct

Got Lope?

Comment

the problem is the cooling fan stopped trigger in at suitable time as it used to as i remembered the RIGHT HAND fan was regulating the temp. to keep it around the middle mark many time i raised the bonnet up and saw it spine but suddenly i do not remember when ( once upon a time ) this function stopped but i did not noticed because we almost use ac.
                          malibu dose not have any of odds that mentioned above ( engine flushing periodically every summer, new radiator with wider fins, new thermostat new water pump no any restriction in coolant flow as it locks during flushing procedure ) if it has any it shall also overheated on high speed or freeway without thermostat installed also. that function stopped by the ECM itself as i reviewed the cooling fan logic. this problem i can overcome by control circuit which i already did but still not installed yet because it is hot now here and i am using ac so fans always on.

the car run great and MPG very good i believe that i am not better than GM engineers who design this great engines but really i am not convinced that this 2 slashes under the operating temp. will affect in the engine performance or its life span.

all of car users running there cars under operating temperature for long time specially at cold start in morning time without any problems.
                          chevy malibu 98 3.1 l

Comment

there is many things i don't understand like how control status or function stopped itself without intentionally programmed to do that i mean how the PCM will tell the fans to stop engaging until the customer visit GM dealer to reprogram and pay some money, the PCM in any car running some output as a result of receiving some inputs that is the engine management system function. it dose not mean that car manufacture will put some bugs in program to work in specific time for recall.

u know most of people here prefer japanese brands specially this holy toyota i don't know why may be because of some problems less like overheating or air conditioning but i am happy with that as i can own porsche with affordable price.
                            chevy malibu 98 3.1 l

Comment

How about...no.
                              Ben
                              60DegreeV6.com
                              WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Working...
                              X