No announcement yet.

#3 Misfire after LIM Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Same problem again!!!! Cylinder 5 this time!!!!
    WTFFFFFFFFF
    Oh man good thing the Helicoil set I got had 10 Helicoils......
    GRrrrr,
    Ill post pics as the foking carnage continues.......
    2002 GAGT
    - Street/Strip 3500 Heads - WOT-Tech Comp 3500 LIM - K&N Drop In - Magnaflow Cat and Muffler
    - Eibach Lowering Springs - Bridgestone Potenza 225/35/r16 - Drilled and Slotted Rotors - Ceramic Pads - KYB GR-2's
    - Big 3 Electrical Upgrade - Kicker SX650.1 Monoblock - Kicker CVX12"D4 Sub
    - Ported Box @ 1.88^ft to 34hZ - Alpine CDA-9884 - Cadence 6.5" Component's
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/391881...am-gt-sedan-4d

Comment

I was going to say nice job, but holy crap that sucks! At this point my temper would get the best of me and I would rip 'em all out and helicoil them all and save myself a headache later. Still, awesome job on the procedure and pics, and good luck with not popping any more. I wonder if someone else has been in your engine before you and overtightened them.
      -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
      91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
      92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
      94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
      Originally posted by Jay Leno
      Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Yes, Ok well I thought I was frustrated. Then...
        Then the F ing Helicoil tap BROKE OFF IN THE BLOCK.

Man, Im so pissed and sick of trying to get that thing out. I would have been done with this job and been on my way to Reno by now.....

2002 GAGT
        - Street/Strip 3500 Heads - WOT-Tech Comp 3500 LIM - K&N Drop In - Magnaflow Cat and Muffler
        - Eibach Lowering Springs - Bridgestone Potenza 225/35/r16 - Drilled and Slotted Rotors - Ceramic Pads - KYB GR-2's

Comment

Originally posted by pocket-rocket View Post
          I was going to say nice job, but holy crap that sucks! At this point my temper would get the best of me and I would rip 'em all out and helicoil them all and save myself a headache later. Still, awesome job on the procedure and pics, and good luck with not popping any more. I wonder if someone else has been in your engine before you and overtightened them.
          Thanks. I did plan on doing some more, or at least checking the others. I think so too cause when my dads mechanic did my LIM gasket last summer hep cracked both middle ports on the LIM, so I would not put it past him to do some dumb crap like that. My dad has since dumped his ass, due to the fact that I did headgaskets in 14 hours and My dad was charged for 12 hours just for LIM gaskets?

Sorry I'm frustrated...
          2002 GAGT

Comment

You've got a good reason to be frustrated. I would be too. That's really really crappy about the tap. I hope you get it out alright. I would take it back to the store and demand a new one for free. Those things are supposed to be hardened, and it broke in aluminum? Something isn't right there, especially since that's only the second hole you've run it down. I wish you the best of luck on the rest of this project, man. :/ Obviously the guy thought he was tightening bolts into iron heads or something.
            -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
            91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
            92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
            94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
            Originally posted by Jay Leno
            Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

The hidden over-torque problems does NOT diminish how well you adapted to and overcame the first problem. Anyone who can establish an "Operating Field" as clean as one for a human appendectomy on a live engine and successfully perform a difficult Helicoil Repair... has, IMHO... Balls as Big as Church Bells!

This PDF might prove helpful on the removing that snapped off tap... Best of Luck!

Pick the one from the Google menu called: "pdf "Removing Frozen or Broken Taps..."
              Last edited by 60dgrzbelow0; 02-05-2011, 05:59 PM.

Comment

PDF?
                Ben
                60DegreeV6.com
                WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Unfortunately... I could not find a direct link to this good information file. The link listed above has to be accessed directly from the Google Search Menu in order for Adobe Reader to open the pdf file on the subject matter. PDF = "Portable Data Format"

I think it is an excerpt from a book on Metallurgy available from this site...

Incidentally (for Ben) I know that you and John are always willing to learn and adapt to new things, so as the British often say..."A Word in Your Shell-Like Ear..." There are four free PDFs that are excerpts from these two Metal Machining Books at the bottom of this page/site that might be worth grabbing...

Last edited by 60dgrzbelow0; 02-07-2011, 11:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 60dgrzbelow0 View Post
                    The hidden over-torque problems does NOT diminish how well you adapted to and overcame the first problem. Anyone who can establish an "Operating Field" as clean as one for a human appendectomy on a live engine and successfully perform a difficult Helicoil Repair... has, IMHO... Balls as Big as Church Bells!

This PDF might prove helpful on the removing that snapped off tap... Best of Luck!

Pick the one from te Google menu called: "pdf "Removing Frozen or Broken Taps..."
                    http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=...5229e2e8efe107
                    THANKS! haha Me and my uncle were going about it that way. 'Tap doctor, Now suction please' lol I dont have the money for that and I planned on 'fixing' my grand am sooner or later as infamous as they are for problems. Thought is evolutionary, I put time into thinking how to do that 'live' and not take any chance of any shaving getting in there.
                    Thanks though, much appreciated with where I'm at.
                    2002 GAGT

Comment

That sparked new hope in my effort to get it out, but I did not want to face frustration, again.
                      I cleaned out my garage, organized my tools, and am ready to get that head off.(2 go to machine shop)

ONE QUESTION... The P&P Intakes and new gaskets went on 5 days ago, between repairs and work, the car has only gotten up to temperature maybe 3-4 times...
                      Would it be OK to re-use the LIM gaskets? I have more RTV for the ridge, but I dont want to replace a brand new set.
                      I know I will need a new head gasket and head bolts...
                      Thanks again for everyone's helpful suggestions.
                      I hope this may be able to help someone in the future...
                      2002 GAGT

Comment

Skyhigh...

You can make your life a "bit" easier with this special Tap Extractor Tool... I am not certain of your original Tap Size... but when this tool is slipped alongside the hollow fluted out sections...it will left you "take a bight (bite)' on the busted tap and ease it right straight out... Poke around on eBay with the expressions "Tap Extractor" or "Tap Remover" and you'll probably find what you need...This one only tears a $20.00 Bill in half...so it seems worth a try...

Comment

"The Rule of Thumb"...(which, as an archaic, biblical principle is concerned, has to do with the Maximum Outside Diameter any stick being used to beat someone with could only be.. as thick as the user's thumb) But in this case...where gaskets are concerned...NEVER RE-USE ANY GASKETS !!!

This does not apply in survival situations like those in the book "The Sands of the Kalahari" where you should use cookie-cutter pieces of your BVDs for head gaskets if that is all you have to make the motor work. But in this case...Why not sped the money on brand new gaskets to get back your peace of mind and not have the gasket issue waking you up at 3 AM with wonder and worry?...
                          Last edited by 60dgrzbelow0; 02-05-2011, 09:52 PM.

Comment

I had already looked at these and considered it, but being my DD it is imminent that this be handled in a timely manner, I would love to go Cost-effective, but I cant wait for something to come in the mail.

My helicoil set was replaced and at this stage Im going to Re-tap all them on the head. The level of difficulty will be half with the head off. I have all night to do this and It really dosent bother me to teardown-build-teardown-build.

Ya I would really liked to have gotten it out but I'm at that point.

TOOL I MADE TO EXTRACT(BROKEN)

Where I'm at now. 4:00Pm Cali time.(About to switch the Dew for a Brew!)
                            2002 GAGT

Comment

Originally posted by 60dgrzbelow0 View Post
                              "The Rule of Thumb"...(which, as an archaic, biblical principle is concerned, has to do with the Maximum Outside Diameter any stick being used to beat someone with could only be.. as thick as the user's thumb) But in this case...where gaskets are concerned...NEVER RE-USE ANY GASKETS !!!

This does not apply in survival situations like those in the book "The Sands of the Kalahari" where you should use cookie-cutter pieces of your BVDs for head gaskets if that is all you have to make the motor work. But in this cae...Why not sped the money on brand new gaskets to get back your peace of mind and not have the gasket issue waking you up at 3 AM with wonder and worry?...
                              In kentucky its a law that you can beat your wife with a stick no thicker than your thumb.
                              EDT* On Sundays....Haha

Man, How I would love to replace them, But I saved for 3 months to get the 3400comp set cause I needed the gaskets and that's a screamin deal. but anyways, I dont want to get in over my head at the moment.
                              Machine shop=$ Other parts an accesories needed=$
                              Broken car=No $
                              I'm 1099 working on another business, so this cant wait, WELL I will see when the time comes...
                              Thank you.
                              Last edited by 02GT_Skyhigh; 02-05-2011, 08:14 PM.
                              2002 GAGT

Comment

OK!
                                Got the head off, valves, and pistons look good.
                                Finally, I get to relax tomorrow. Nothing Is open here until
                                Monday.
                                I HOPE when I go into the machine shop the guy says, 'Oh, ya, no problem give me 15 minutes!' haha Seeing the glass half-full or half-empty, your choice.
                                Now to the pics that I feel Ya'll need to see, at least I dont feel like I'm in this alone, so thanks Guys. My ex-girlfreind/roomate is not the type to be inclined to learn about something she dosent care about... I'm having fun though! Stay tuned

Gaskets that aren't even a week old.

Freggin Jacked Up Monkey Nutttt
                                Last edited by 02GT_Skyhigh; 02-05-2011, 10:37 PM. Reason: PIC OF GASKET
                                2002 GAGT

Comment

Working...
                                X