Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• squeezing more power out of a 2.8

Hello.

I have a 2.8l v6 in an 88 cutlass ciera. What are some things I can do to get the best performance (acceleration, speed) out of this thing?

As far as experience, all I've ever done was brakes/plugs/wires/alt/fuel filter. I don't really have any experience in doing anything to the engine itself except for routine maintenance.

Does your engine have the Multiport Fuel Injection?

In short horsepower costs money. Headers, help, and a high flow intake helps.

Past that, do you have the skill to open up the engine and get to porting, valve work etc.?

Arn
    Arn Brown

Comment

MPFI yes.

As far as engine work goes, I know that I can't take it out of the car. This is my daily driver

I've honestly never done any engine work before, opening it up and such. Doesn't mean that it's not within my abilities, I just never done it before and don't know what to do.

Comment

I can program a chip that will increase power and fuel economy (plus updating the GM code). That is one of the easier modifications. That is on the store here (is that an A body?). An underdrive pulley will help as well and is a bolt on, so that makes downtime minimal.

The 2.8 is limited by its displacement/stroke, but is great for high revving. The intake manifolds aren't designed for high RPM however. Your best bet is to either swap a newer motor in there, or get the 3400 top end and swap that in. Both require a lot more work than just a chip and underdrive pulley. You also have cam options and your gen 2 manifolds and heads can be ported.
        Ben
        60DegreeV6.com
        WOT-Tech.com

Comment

cant he use the gold race roller rockers also to help out the gains from the cam and give a better ratio

Comment

Yes, or the comp 1.6 rockers or the stock 3100 non roller rockers. I think the gold race hit the lower intake on gen 2 as well but I know they can be made to fit.
            Ben
            60DegreeV6.com
            WOT-Tech.com

Comment

i dont think you can do anything chip wise with that pcm, same car i had lol
              do you know what mask the code is in that thing ?
              i dunno i couldnt find anything back when i had my motor in that car
              not sure if anyone cares or if it matters but usually those pcms were updated to speed density
              Last edited by sil; 02-24-2007, 06:02 PM.

Comment

An 88? I can do 88 chips for aluminum head 2.8 engines.
                Ben
                60DegreeV6.com
                WOT-Tech.com

Comment

oh my bad i thought it was iron head

Comment

86 was the last year of ironheads in fwd. 87+ fwd is gen 2.

it realy depends on what you have to spend and what sort of power goals you have (dont say the most power for the least money). a simple 2.5" exaust and a cold air intake will help it out a little bit. same with some 1.6 rockers, or a chip. if you are willing to spend some time (a weekend at the least) you would see the most gain from a 3400 top end swap. as for the results of this, i realy couldnt tell you, 2.8l hybrids are not very common. it should give you an honest 20+ hp gain.

Comment

easier rocker swap to do the 1.6 roller tips. nice gain with out affecting mileage. a bigger TB is great too!
                      Andy

sigpic

fastest 1/8: 10.19@ 67.17
                      fastest 1/4: 16.16@ 82.70

62mm TB, 1.6 roller tip rockers, Ostrich 2.0, UD pulley, TB heater bypass, K&N, 180* stat, No cat, 99Grand AM dual cooling fans. 4T65E swap FDR 3.69, EP LSD, F.A.S.T. transmission controller, TransGo shift kit.

Comment

id be intrested in the spark tables
                        if anyone gets a bin and definition let me know

Comment

The spark table for what? 88 2.8?
                          Ben
                          60DegreeV6.com
                          WOT-Tech.com

Comment

yip
                            id like to compare them to what im running now

Comment

Where I'm getting at now, is that a top end 3400 swap would be the best option.

What all would that involve? I've never done anything like this before.

Also, forgot to mention I have the TH125C tranny.

Comment

Working...
                              X