This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wasas9 View Post
    Hooray for OBD I and checking everything out first.

jk. Im sure you got some simple problem
    mines OBDII and my oil pan sensor plug is tucked up behind my trans bracket and my fuel pump works...

05 3400 pans don't have the oil level sensors either.

Got Lope?
    3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
    Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
    Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
    12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

• I really can't see any of the sensors killing the fuel pump... since otherwise if one went bad the car would always die.

I must be missing a large connector somewhere... there are 2 right by the alt, a fat square one and a trapazoid shaped one. Can anyone think of any others? What about any other grounds aside from the 2 groups of grounds on 2 tranny bolts?

Also 3400-95... what value did you change in your PCM to disable the low oil light that no pan sensor will give you? I plan working on a BIN file for this car tonight.
      SpudFiles
      Blast vegetables and whatever else you can think of!
      Theopia
      Enjoy life online.

1996 3500GP Coupe, "Bright White".
      3500 swap, 60degreeV6 1393 Cam, Ported Intakes, Comp Cams Valve Springs, 65mm TB, Custom Pushrods, S&S Headers, 97 PCM with DHP Powrtuner, 2.5" back to dual Hooker Aerochambers, SS Brake Lines, Addco swaybar, KYB's, Intrax Springs, STB's, etc!

Comment

• Umm... DHP doesn't have that area to modify. I actually didn't think that sensor went to the ECM but I just looked at the diagram and it does...

Hrmmm I should ask Charles about that one.

I've done this more than once but make sure your MAIN power wire from the battery is connected to the starter. I had similar issues were certain lights were on and others werent, and the car wouldnt turn over, and the batt wire being disconnected was the reason why.

Got Lope?
        12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

• So you don't get a light in your dash from not having any pan sensor plugged in? I am just asuming it would show a light, not positive.

I have the large connector with 2 orange wires going to it on the large post of the starter, then the tiny purple wire connected to the small post on the starter... I am fairly sure that is how it was on the old one... I am using a 3500 starter (part #'s say it's the same as the new style 3400 ones).
          SpudFiles
          Theopia
          Enjoy life online.

3500 swap, 60degreeV6 1393 Cam, Ported Intakes, Comp Cams Valve Springs, 65mm TB, Custom Pushrods, S&S Headers, 97 PCM with DHP Powrtuner, 2.5" back to dual Hooker Aerochambers, SS Brake Lines, Addco swaybar, KYB's, Intrax Springs, STB's, etc!

Comment

• Well I was a retard... didn't have the big power cable from the batt going into the starter :P

Now I have fuel pressure and lights and everything. No leaks! Now to get the intake to fit with FPR... I ground off about as much as I would want to, but it's still not quite enough.

I'm getting to that stage where I am worrying about things I did before, in the engine. The pushrods, if I put the rockers on correctly, etc. The whole valvetrain seemed way to easy really, just droping a pushrod onto a lifter and a rocker going on top of it just seems way too simple .

What are some common things people can mess up and not realize? (aside from pushrod order).
            SpudFiles
            Theopia
            Enjoy life online.

Comment

• there is an easy way to modify the FPR so you don't have to grind away the plenum at all...

cut out the top of the mounting hole and put a washer on the bolt.. then rotate the FPR just enough so it clears the neck and tighten it down.

works perfect
              Past Builds;
              1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
              1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
              Current Project;
              1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

• I do have a low oil light every once and a while... for some reason if I turn the ignition on for a few sec and wait before I start it the light will go off... if I turn it right over it sometimes stays on... Its weird.

Got Lope?

Comment

• I wonder if that sensor just measures electrical resistance to see if the oil is there or not? If so, in theory you could just splice the wires together at the sensor and it would fool it, never having a light.
                  SpudFiles
                  Theopia
                  Enjoy life online.

Comment

• Yeah its just on or off... If you splice them together it should remove the light... I'm just too friken lazy to get under the car and do that

Maybe when I'm installing my ported upper plenum and my 65mm TB I'll splice that and also hook up my fan switch again.

Got Lope?

Comment

• I'll give it a shot...

Anyone have any idea on what I could do with the bottom bolt of the trans/block bracket? I got the mount modified enough to fit all of the other bolts in (2 on the tranny and 2 on the block), but the bottom one is so far off... the only idea I had was to weld a piece of thick steel to the bracket, bend it correctly, then bolt it to the oil pan boss but I dunno how well that would hold... would be flexing on it all of the time, probably crack the weld or just bend the metal.

I don't know how good of an idea just leaving it hang unbolted would be either.
                      SpudFiles
                      Theopia
                      Enjoy life online.

Comment

• a welded peice of steel should hold up... As long as the block bolts are in I'm sure that will prevent it from flexing a lot.

How in the hell did you get it to fit though.. Pics a must!

Got Lope?

Comment

• Just enlongate the 2 holes that bolt to the block (enlongate towards where the bracket bends), and the top hole for the mount on the tranny.

The lower hole on the block is very very close to fitting, I just need to grind it a bit with a file so the bolt goes in with ease. I'll get pics soon.

Welding something onto the bracket for the oil pan bolt seems like a good idea, however the piece of metal will need to be bent. Basically it needs to weld to the bracket, then be bent foward then back straight, kind of like an S.

I drew a picture... I have 2 big machine shops at my dispoal however I have no clue how to bend a thick piece of steel the way I need it. I've welded once before with a stardard arc welder... but I don't know if I would trust myself with an important weld like this.
                          Attached Files
                          SpudFiles
                          Theopia
                          Enjoy life online.

Comment

• I'm having trouble following that image in comparison to what you posted as how it fit in there...

This is why I stuck with a 3400 lower...

I would almost say you should try to design a completely new bracket for there but thats alot of work as well.

Got Lope?

Comment

• Originally posted by 3400-95-Modified View Post
                              I'm having trouble following that image in comparison to what you posted as how it fit in there...

This is why I stuck with a 3400 lower...

I would almost say you should try to design a completely new bracket for there but thats alot of work as well.
                              Here... this pic may explain better. In my drawing, where it says "Bracket" (the black thing), that is the black bracket in this picture. The other side is obvious.

In this picture, they are closer together... which would mean my drawing wouldn't really work. However last time I fit it in there, I could have swore it was further away meaning my drawing would work.

I'll check as soon as I find my file and get the top bolts in.
                              SpudFiles
                              Theopia
                              Enjoy life online.

Comment

• yeah, an update with that pipe adaptor for the CTS.

It seems to be working perfectly. Temp is between the 1/4 mark and the 1/2 mark right where it was with the 2.8 and 3400 in the old phase 1 Z i had.

Comment

Working...
                                X