Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK, is the bracket for the throttle cables (the one that bolts on top of the 3500 adapter and has that little piece that goes over the PCV tube on the intake to keep it in place) supposed to fit on without cutting? Becuase well, mine won't. I can get the top 2 bolts lined up, cut then the "leg" on the bottom/left of the throttle body isn't anywhere near it's screw hole. If I put the "leg" up first, then there is no way for the top to bolt on unless I really bent the bracket somehow.

Sounds confusing yes but I don't get how this is supposed to work. I don't even have the bolts for the throttle body... so I can't decide if the bracket's "leg" is even supposed to screw in.
    SpudFiles
    Blast vegetables and whatever else you can think of!
    Theopia
    Enjoy life online.

1996 3500GP Coupe, "Bright White".
    3500 swap, 60degreeV6 1393 Cam, Ported Intakes, Comp Cams Valve Springs, 65mm TB, Custom Pushrods, S&S Headers, 97 PCM with DHP Powrtuner, 2.5" back to dual Hooker Aerochambers, SS Brake Lines, Addco swaybar, KYB's, Intrax Springs, STB's, etc!

Comment

• lol, you gotta bend up that bracket a little.. took a few tries but mine fits perfect now.
      Past Builds;
      1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
      1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
      Current Project;
      1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

• You happen to know what size of bolt goes on the lower part of the bracket? I didn't get any bolts for the throttle body either so I had to take the adapter plate to the store to find the size... but now the throttle body plate is attached to the car so it's hard to find the size by guessing unless I take it all off again.
        SpudFiles
        Theopia
        Enjoy life online.

3500 swap, 60degreeV6 1393 Cam, Ported Intakes, Comp Cams Valve Springs, 65mm TB, Custom Pushrods, S&S Headers, 97 PCM with DHP Powrtuner, 2.5" back to dual Hooker Aerochambers, SS Brake Lines, Addco swaybar, KYB's, Intrax Springs, STB's, etc!

Comment

• Use your 3100 TB bolts... Unless you lost em...hehe I don't quite get what you said either, you got the bolts but you don't have em? huh? <confused>
          sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
          1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
          16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
          Original L82 Longblock
          with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
          Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

• OK I got the bracket on the throttle body... put the throttle cables on but now the cruise control cable seems a bit too short, it holds the throttle body open a bit. How can I adjust that cable? The actual petal throttle cable seems fine.

Also the belt tensioner, how in the HELL are you supposed to get that on by yourself? GM book says use a breaker bar to bring it up to put on the belt, but there is no way to get a breaker bar anywhere on it to pry on it. I have tried and tried by hand... I can get it far enough with 2 hands but then I have no way to get the belt slid on since I only have 2 hands (no one is really willing to help me, which is why this all is taking me so freaking long... I am just constantly told I should have bought a newer GTP).
            SpudFiles
            Theopia
            Enjoy life online.

Comment

• put a wrench(15or17mm) on it and give it some muscles into it. it will cme up

Comment

• That's the thing... where? There is no place to put a socket on it aside from the bolt that actually goes into the timing cover... which is 13mm.
                SpudFiles
                Theopia
                Enjoy life online.

Comment

• slip the wrench over the end of the tensioner. i think there is a little square on the side of theof the tensioner closer to the tip. u should be able to put a 3/8 drive ratchet in there. there is one on my 3500 tensioner anyways. but i fond its easier to just slip a wrench over the end and lift up.

Comment

• The 3500 tensioner appears easier to get on... the tensioner that was on my 3100 (the one I was putting on there) has absolutely nothing to stick a socket in. I did get a friend of mine to look at it and he thought it was the craziest thing.

I would like to just use the 3500 tensioner but the pulley on it is a bit smaller... think it would be OK to use with the stock 3100 belt? The belt is like new and I would rather not buy another belt just to use a newer tensioner.
                    SpudFiles
                    Theopia
                    Enjoy life online.

Comment

• Hmm. In my friends 97 lumina 3100 I put a 3/8" drive ratchet into the tensioner and lifted up. My car there is no room for that so you have to get a serpentine belt tool. It's got the 3/8" end but it's just a super thin flat bar that lets you get in there. You push that into a square hole on the 3100 tensioner.
                      Original L82 Longblock
                      with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

• Some tensioners dont have the hole and its just a square end that you need to put the tensioner tool on, or just use an open end wrench.

I put one on my car that has the hole, but I made a mistake because it is very worn out... it bounces like crazy and my belt squeals when my car shifts... yeah it shifts quick and hard too but it shouldnt slip the belt.

Got Lope?
                        3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
                        Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
                        Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
                        12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

• OK I got the tensioner on... took a 14mm open end and a helpful friend to hold it up for me.

I also have all of my wires on, everything ran, everything hooked up, even the stock air box in there (for now) with a K&N in it, all sensors hooked up... all I have left is to put oil in it, and water. And 2 other problems...

1, the tube that goes into the back valve cover, and it goes into the intake hose... I guess it's another crankcase vent hose... anyways I can't get it into the 3500 valve cover. I don't see why, the hole seems to be the same size and the only way it holds in there is just with friction, on my 3100 it pops on if you push hard and stays in, on the 3500 valve cover you push it in and it comes right back out...

2, still need to figure out how to adjust the cruise control cable.
                          SpudFiles
                          Theopia
                          Enjoy life online.

Comment

• A little late, but here is a pic of a tensioner with the square in it:

Whenever I've done it, I just take a 3/8" breaker bar and squeeze it between the tensioner and wheel well. Its tight, but it'll fit. Then, you just push (or pull?) on the breaker bar and the tensioner will move to allow the belt to go on.

As far as the cruise cable, follow it back to the operationg mechanism. There should be a way at the operator to take slack out of or put more slack into the cable.
                            -Brad-
                            89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
                            sigpic
                            Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

• Thanks for the info.

Anyone have any other help for the other issues?
                              SpudFiles
                              Theopia
                              Enjoy life online.

Comment

• 1) funny, my 3100 falls out all the time. I had to rig it to stay in. Yes it's essentially a breather tube, you could run a filter breather there it would just pollute more. The PCV is on the front and needs vacuum though. The back just needs fresh air.

2) likely bending the bracket now has the cables with too much tension. Bend the bracket where they attach closer to the linkage on the TB.

Did you get the trans bracket issue fixed up yet?
                                Original L82 Longblock
                                with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

Working...
                                X