Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Solid vs Hydraulic lifters, oiling issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solid vs Hydraulic lifters, oiling issues?

Is there any issue with oiling if you go from a hydraulic flat tappet lifter to a solid flat tappet lifter? Same with roller to roller I guess but the fundamentals are the same.
    Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

I didn't have any oiling issues. They have mechanical flat tappet lifters with the "spitter" (flat spot on the side of the lifter) and there is a metering valve inside the lifter instead of the hydraulics. Crower even sells mechanical flat tappet lifters with a laser cut oiling hole on the lifter face to increase oil between the cam lobe and lifter.

On mechanical rollers, pretty much the same. I think ComCam's (the only company that has mechanical roller lifters for the 3.1) does not suggest restricting oil at all. There is a very small oil passage for the pushrod as well as a small hole to directly lubricate the roller. Now, CompCam's did mention something about durability problems when they sold the mechanical roller lifters and a cam, but I believe they actually sold a cast flat tappet cam reground with a roller profile, thus the failure, because the roller would dig into the cam lobes.
    Curtis
    91\' Turbo Z24
    http://www.turboz24.com

Comment

Crane Cams also makes roller mechanical cams and lifters for our engines as well. Its just not in the catalog. Have to call them.

But I dont' see why there would be an oiling issue. You thinking there would be an issue with the pushrod and rocker arm or with the cam and lobes themself?

Comment

Schneider does as well
        1992 Chevrolet S10
        2.8 v6 tbi 5 speed

Comment

Originally posted by 614streets
          Schneider does as well
          solid or hydraulic rollers?

how much?
          Colin
          92 Sunbird GT, 3200 Hybrid 13.99@ 95.22 (2004)
          90 Eagle Talon TSi AWD 10.54 @ 129mph.

Comment

Originally posted by v6h.o.
            Originally posted by 614streets
            Schneider does as well
            solid or hydraulic rollers?

how much?
            Solid , dont know price or details.

Lazer also offers roller lifters but you must mahine the block to accept.

Summit sells the Crane roller lifters one set for Bow tie , another set for std block

PAW carries the comp cam roller lifters.
            1992 Chevrolet S10
            2.8 v6 tbi 5 speed

Comment

The crane are standard v6 standard series and the bowtie has the standard or pro series option.

World’s top manufacturer of performance camshafts, lifters, valve springs, rocker arms and related valve train parts for all race and street performance engines

World’s top manufacturer of performance camshafts, lifters, valve springs, rocker arms and related valve train parts for all race and street performance engines

1992 Chevrolet S10
              2.8 v6 tbi 5 speed

Comment

Ok thanks So the only issue with solid lifters is that it still has the metering system to pump oil up the pushrod to the rockers.
                Ben
                60DegreeV6.com
                WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Working...
                X