aftermarket "Cast-Steel" 2.8l crank.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aftermarket "Cast-Steel" 2.8l crank.

Im not sure how many of you are aware of this, but there is a 2.8l steel crank that is available through Eagle. It cost about $160 and should be good for an aggressive engine build. (Just a thought.)

The part/ casting# through "Eagle" is ESP10173817.
    Took a break from working on the car. Got some better tools, got a better shop, got a better job... Its time to burn metal!

Well I have never heard of anyone breaking a stock crank yet. With the 3500 forged cranks available for modification I don't think many people would consider the eagle crank. Also the stroke is the same as a 2.8L and most people are after the larger stroke.
    1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
    1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
    Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

True, but now there are more options available for the platform.

Heres an idea...

high-reving, destroked 3.4l / long-rod combo with 3500 top-end for bracket and dirt-track racing....
      Or maybe a destroked, DOHC screamer....

All built for veritable pocket-change.
      Last edited by Driver_10; 11-16-2008, 04:41 PM.
      Took a break from working on the car. Got some better tools, got a better shop, got a better job... Its time to burn metal!

Comment

would be a nice build. by the looks of it u would need a crank trigger though.
        Last edited by MidnightriderZ24; 11-16-2008, 05:21 PM.
        [SIGPIC]
        12.268@117... 11's to come!
        turbo 3400: 358whp and 365tq at 9 psi
        ASE Master Technician. GM Certified.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ibU1k8UZoo
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUqJyopd720

Comment

Originally posted by MidnightriderZ24 View Post
          would be a nice build. by the looks of it u would need a crank trigger though.
          Ya know, to be completely honest, I dont know if that particular crank has a timing wheel attached.

However, It still opens up great possibilties.

Comment

Its been discussed before, although almost 2 years ago...

-Brad-
            89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
            sigpic
            Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Hmmh interesting.. cause i'm planning to build my low mileage 3.1 to hybrid, but i'd rather have the 2.8 shorter stroke, that could be the way to go Tho i would need rods too?

Comment

I don't think you can get this crank any longer. They were selling them off for 50 bucks a while back and when I tried to get some, I couldn't.
                Ben
                60DegreeV6.com
                WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Originally posted by weba View Post
                  Hmmh interesting.. cause i'm planning to build my low mileage 3.1 to hybrid, but i'd rather have the 2.8 shorter stroke, that could be the way to go Tho i would need rods too?

Get a stock 2.8L Crank. Maybe put it on a 3.4L or 3400 block and then you get a big bore short stroke screamer (think Chevy 302 idea) Either of those blocks would have provisions for a crank sensor too. Actually I guess your 3.1L FWD block would have the crank sensor too. You wont need custom rods but you will need pistons. However if you make your 3.1L a short stroke motor you can use stock 2.8L pistons.
                  1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
                  1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
                  Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by betterthanyou View Post
                    Get a stock 2.8L Crank. Maybe put it on a 3.4L or 3400 block and then you get a big bore short stroke screamer
                    Finding any of those parts here from europe can be pretty damn hard, so if i can buy that brand new 'cast-steel' crank one from Eagle, that would be the way to go and use it on my FWD 3.1 block. After doing the what ever changes required for crank trigger and all...

I can see they have that crank on the 2008 catalog, so there might be a change to get it, who knows.

Anyhow, you'r saying i could not use 3.1 rods and.or pistons with this setup?
                    Or if i could, what kind of compression would i look with 3400 heads then?

Thanks.
                    Last edited by weba; 12-31-2008, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Pistons need to be for the crank. So a 2.8 crank needs 2.8 pistons. If you are running a 3100/3.1L block you can use the 2.8 FWD pistons, or 2.8 RWD pistons for a boost in compression. If you have a 3400 block you can run 3500 heads then, and will need custom pistons, because there never was a short stroke motor with that size bore to use the pistons from.

The 3100/3.1L blocks can't accept 3500 heads as the combustion chamber overlaps the bore. But they can take 3400 heads. Compression will be even higher with 3400 heads and RWD pistons though.

so you could build a 2800 with high compression with stock parts. But you'll have over 11 compression. Use the compression calc to find out what it would be.
                      sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
                      1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
                      16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
                      Original L82 Longblock
                      with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
                      Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

Originally posted by betterthanyou View Post
                        Well I have never heard of anyone breaking a stock crank yet. With the 3500 forged cranks available for modification I don't think many people would consider the eagle crank. Also the stroke is the same as a 2.8L and most people are after the larger stroke.
                        I bought a Trooper (2.8L) with a broken crank. Don't know how it happened. Maybe because they used the wrong pilot bushing and forced the tranny on (luckily the tranny still works, that's what I bought the truck for).
                        '98 Volvo V90 - Ford 5.0 swap in progress
                        '96 LR Range Rover 4.6 HSE - suspiciously reliable
                        '92 Volvo 740 Wagon - former parts car, now daily-driver beater
                        '71 Opel Kadett Wagon - 1.9L CIH w/ Weber DGV 32/36, in bits

Comment

3.5 with cast heads? possible?

It seems like a few people are good on this topic here. i am looking for the best over all ideal engine for the money.. if i was to buy a 3.5 for a local wrecking yard and bolt cast heads on "temp" till a intake is made for a carb for aluminum heads... now ill still have a pair of high flowing heads to bolt back on... so to big questions are cast heads on a 3.5 and is there still the same oil pump drive on the 3.5 as the early 2.8? this project is for my sand rail for those wondering why im going old school card and distributor

Comment

Originally posted by 20-inch-bike View Post
                            It seems like a few people are good on this topic here. i am looking for the best over all ideal engine for the money.. if i was to buy a 3.5 for a local wrecking yard and bolt cast heads on "temp" till a intake is made for a carb for aluminum heads... now ill still have a pair of high flowing heads to bolt back on... so to big questions are cast heads on a 3.5 and is there still the same oil pump drive on the 3.5 as the early 2.8? this project is for my sand rail for those wondering why im going old school card and distributor
                            If your using a 3500 block and rotating assembly, Id probably advise against the cast Iron heads. Simply put, the 2.8l /3.4l style cylinder heads are crappy paper wieghts and would serve you batter as door stops. (I hear they make good boat anchors)

As it stands right now, there is no way that I can think of that would allow you to carb and distributor a moderen 3500 60* (unless someone knows different).

A megasquirt ecu, 3400 fuel rail, 7x external timing wheel, 3.5l "short-star" 65mm TB + adapter plate would be about $1100 (assuming you buy the latest megasquirt 3.57 board and MS II main proccessor)
                            Last edited by Driver_10; 01-16-2009, 09:03 PM.

Comment

well it is known different i guess by many ive asked.... i have to use the cast heads... thats why i am using them and i dont want to but "untill" an intake is made its the only way

Comment

Working...
                              X