ARP Rod Bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARP Rod Bolts

I have a set of APR Rod Bolts and went to have them pressed in and the shop said that the holes have to be enlarged in order to fit them. Is this true?
    1999 Grand Am SC/T - 301HP, 365TQ - ARP Rod Bolts, ARP Oil Pan Bolts, ARP Head Studs, Mild Cam, 3500 Heads w/28696 Springs, Ported 3500 LIM & 3400 UIM, GT32R @ 12PSI, Rebuilt Trans, 42.5 Injectors, Racetronix Fuel Pump, TCE Adjustable FPR, SC/T Kit, SC/T Spoiler, Shaved Trunk, WOT-Tech Coil Overs, Solid Rear Laterals w/Poly Bushings, Control Arms w/Poly Bushings, Poly Engine & Trans Mounts, Front & Rear Strut Braces

No. Not the first time I have heard this nonsense though
    Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Whats the best way to get these in? What kind of press?
      1999 Grand Am SC/T - 301HP, 365TQ - ARP Rod Bolts, ARP Oil Pan Bolts, ARP Head Studs, Mild Cam, 3500 Heads w/28696 Springs, Ported 3500 LIM & 3400 UIM, GT32R @ 12PSI, Rebuilt Trans, 42.5 Injectors, Racetronix Fuel Pump, TCE Adjustable FPR, SC/T Kit, SC/T Spoiler, Shaved Trunk, WOT-Tech Coil Overs, Solid Rear Laterals w/Poly Bushings, Control Arms w/Poly Bushings, Poly Engine & Trans Mounts, Front & Rear Strut Braces

Comment

Doesn't matter, just a press.
        Ben
        60DegreeV6.com
        WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Like this one?

Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!

Comment

I reallly doubt you need to actually enlarge the holes, according to ARP thay are designed as direct replacements for the original rod bolts. I have not used them but will use them when it's time for an overhaul!!. Late.
            I need a bigger engine!

Comment

Cool. So I have a couple more questions
              1. Will that press work?
              2. Do I have to get them honed? Ive read that it messes the bore up.
              3. Basically how do I install them? lol

Comment

That was a vice, not a press.

Have what honed? Have a shop install them and if they say they don't fit, find a better shop install them.
                Ben
                60DegreeV6.com
                WOT-Tech.com

Comment

This is a press:

Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!

It's the same one I have too.
                  -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                  91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                  92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                  94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                  Originally posted by Jay Leno
                  Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

When you have the rod bolts changed you should have the rods resized, thats what the engine shops normaly recomend and thats what I have always had done.

Comment

Originally posted by pocket-rocket View Post
                      This is a press:

It's the same one I have too.
                      i have the same press but the 6ton version. bought it at a swap meet for $25 so i cant really complain.
                      sigpic
                      99 Grand Am GT
                      3400/3500 -Solid trans mount--TCE 65mm T-body---85mm LS2 maf---1 1/4' TCE intake spacers with 3400 upper--SLP Catback with flowmaster 80--TOG headers
                      Modded 3400 lifters with LT1 springs---Comp Cams 26986 Springs
                      1357 cam 227 233 .050 dur
                      515 515 lift 112 lsa
                      15.232@88.85mph on stock 3400---New time to come

Comment

I have the rods cut and resized as well when I have ARP bolts installed.
                        Ben
                        60DegreeV6.com
                        WOT-Tech.com

Comment

So when I drop them off, I should say I want the bolts installed and have the rods resized and cut? And what does it mean to cut them?

Comment

having the rods resized means to bring them back to within the OEM specs and as for having them cut....i don't really know the answer to that, maybe it means cutting them where the parts meet (the rod and the cap)? I've never heard the term "cut" in the machine shop?. Maybe someone can explain.

EXAMPLE:
                            A ( )----- B

In this illustration part A is the cap and part B is the connecting rod, and in the middle space, for illustration only, is where the two meet and the bolt holds the two together, maybe the part where they meet has to be "cut" because it may be warped and just needs to be true again (Straight, Flat)

Maybe I'm wrong but that's my 2 cents. Late.
                            I need a bigger engine!

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys! They are at the shop as we speak!

Comment

Working...
                              X