Need Help choosing a Walbro 255 Pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help choosing a Walbro 255 Pump

I need a fuel pump for my 96 Grand Prix SE 3100 Turbo 5-8 psi boost with 36 lb/hr injectors.

No FMU used, stock fuel pressure. Fueling increases are done through the PCM instead of fuel pressure boosting. So I don't need a high pressure pump, just high flowing.

I haven't ever had to fit a high flow pump instead of a stock pump, so please excuse my ignorance regarding.

I would like a Walbro 255 but not sure of the model needed.

This is what I had found so far. Would these pumps fit my vehicle?

Walbro GCA758-2
    Walbro GSS307

If not, can anyone recommend a quality high flow fuel pump for my application?

Thanks

i'm not so sure if either of those are actually walboros...

but IIRC, a PFI fuel pump is generally the same between major changes (like the tuned port 85 camaro using the same pump as a 95 3100 wouldn't surprise me one bit).
    1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
    Latest nAst1 files here!
    Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Be wary of fakes.. .lots of them out there.

What is the p/n on your injectors BTW?
      sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
      1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
      16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
      Original L82 Longblock
      with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
      Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AC...Make|CHEVROLET

Looks like that one is listed for everything from 454's to 2.8's and smaller.

Comment

if you try to search by application, it seems that they list a lot of TBI or carb setups.... but i didn't find any port injected setups in my quick search.
          1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
          Latest nAst1 files here!
          Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ACF-EP378/

Sorry wrong part, if u do a search of in tank fuel pumps from ac delco there are a bunch listed. many of them cover a range of vehicles.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ACF-EP376/

That one is for LT1's such as in buick roadmasters. I'm sure they have other applications and brands that could be made to work as well.

Comment

Purchase W1 Fuel Pump Assembly or shop other Fuel Pump Assemblies (Racetronix) and Racetronix products.

Modified for the venturi system.
              As of April 2
              3rd Gen Cavy has 3500 Installed!
              ----------------------------
              Engine: 2006 SV6 3500 LX9
              Trans: 2002 Getrag F23 5speed
              Pcm: 2001 Impala La1 3400 with complete Engine Harness.
              Injectors: #36 GTPs
              TB: 65mm TCE
              Maf: 1999 3400 Montana.
              Adjustable TCE Fuel pressure Regulator
              Walbro W1 255 pump from Racetronix.
              Beverages: Ice Cold CANADIAN.

Comment

Originally posted by IsaacHayes View Post
                Be wary of fakes.. .lots of them out there.

What is the p/n on your injectors BTW?
                p/n idk. I have all my paper work/receipts in a box somewhere since the move.

They were from a supercharged 3800, iirc. Bosch injectors.

Fakes, yeah I heard about that trolling around forums.
                Originally posted by WrathofSocrus
                Get fast, Free Standard Shipping on orders over Summit Racing Equipment from $109 -- no shipping, handling, or rural fees! Exclusions apply.

Looks like that one is listed for everything from 454's to 2.8's and smaller.
                Hmmm, not a bad price either. If it can fuel a n/a 7.4L, it should fuel a turbo 3.1L.

What about a new stock pump made by Bosch?

I'm going to try to find flow specs. Running only 5-8 psi boost, maybe that pump will hold up well enough. Opinions?

Comment

has to be a pump that is for fuel injection (port/multi/sfi) not TBI or carb, those run only like 7psi....
                  Original L82 Longblock
                  with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

Does the 96 use a modular system with Venturi?

The link I posted uses Walbro pumps, but they are modified kits for the ventri fuel feeds.
                    As of April 2
                    3rd Gen Cavy has 3500 Installed!
                    ----------------------------
                    Engine: 2006 SV6 3500 LX9
                    Trans: 2002 Getrag F23 5speed
                    Pcm: 2001 Impala La1 3400 with complete Engine Harness.
                    Injectors: #36 GTPs
                    TB: 65mm TCE
                    Maf: 1999 3400 Montana.
                    Adjustable TCE Fuel pressure Regulator
                    Walbro W1 255 pump from Racetronix.
                    Beverages: Ice Cold CANADIAN.

Comment

has to be a pump that is for fuel injection (port/multi/sfi) not TBI or carb, those run only like 7psi....
                      pro-tip: pumps create flow, not pressure. that's the job of the FPR. if the pump can flow enough to create the pressure, it could work, unless there is some mechanical reason why it can't...
                      Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

Right, but the TBI/Carb pump may be rated to flow 255 gph at 7psi of pressure (created by the FPR/carb resistance) but choke out if it encountered 55psi from the FPR... Likely due to mechanical design like you noted....
                        Original L82 Longblock
                        with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

Originally posted by planethax View Post
                          Does the 96 use a modular system with Venturi?

The link I posted uses Walbro pumps, but they are modified kits for the ventri fuel feeds.
                          I know in the berettas they all use the venturi system, however they have a removeable adapter with a small "T" fitting for the venturi feed. In other words, you can use a regular pump, and install the adapter from the OE pump, giving you use of your venturi setup. You do not need a special pump with a separate venturi feed on it.

Comment

Right, but the TBI/Carb pump may be rated to flow 255 gph at 7psi of pressure (created by the FPR/carb resistance) but choke out if it encountered 55psi from the FPR... Likely due to mechanical design like you noted....
                            That feed line would have to be awfully fat to flow that much at such low pressure.
                            Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

Ok, I have a little time to figure out the pump fitment. I called summitracing and the tech recommended a BBK 1606. He said with minor modifications it will work well. He also said there isn't a pump that is designed to fit like OE that is a high flow.

So, I have some research to do.

I decided a new pump AND fpr is in order. I know one may be good over the other, but I want this car to run good for a while. I have so many new parts now, i should just do it. And if the problem still isn't resolved, I'll cross that bridge then. But all symptoms are pointing to a bad pump and/or bad FPR.

I guess sitting in the garage for 2.5 months wasn't healthy for the fuel system. Though I did add some seafoam per directions on can to the tank and crankcase and ran it to prime the system.

Now, I also have a thermostat question. What is the best temp thermostat for my application? 160, 180 or stock 195 degrees? I am thinking 180 because it is a little cooler but not too cool like the 160 is for extreme performance engines beyond my app.

Aside from altering the fan on/off temps, what other alterations would be required with a cooler thermostat? Should I adjust the various settings that are ECT dependent? Bear in mind I am seeking perfection but anything pointless is well, pointless, lol.
                              Last edited by Schmieder; 03-09-2010, 11:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X