my injectors are too big

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my injectors are too big

im running some of the L67 injectors and the tuner is having trouble tuning the engine since he cant get the milisec low enough for idle. he said some 24lb injectors would be sufficient. what are my options for some 24lb injectors? he said hes used mustang injectors for the LS1s in his tuning and build adventures.
    ENGINE HAS INTERNAL DAMAGE. THIS MOTOR WILL BE TAKEN OUT OF THE FIERO AND REPAIRED IN TIME. UNTIL THEN, A L67 WILL RESIDE IN ITS PLACE

87 fiero gt 5spd 3500, 1280 cam and PR, ls6 valve springs, port and polished heads, ported lim, ported uim, 4.3 70mm tb, ported trueleo headers and y pipe, 2.5 inch ex, flowtech muff, 7730 ecm, moates.net APU1, self tuning *learning* (GOT FROM MY BROTHER, divorce reasons.)

I am by no means a pro at tuning, but I do know it is possible to tune for bigger injectors. It's not like you are using something super duper big.

Whom ever is the tuner is not doing there homework. It is very possible, they just seem like they want to make a quick buck and bang you out in an hour or so. Don't pay them a dime until you are fully tuned and not hacked up with extra BS.
    Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

Those injectors can be tuned with your setup.
      Ben
      60DegreeV6.com
      WOT-Tech.com

Comment

I'm willing to bet your VE table is scaled too high which is resulting in the rich condition... You need to just do simple math to figure out what the ms number should be using the original injector flow rate and ms setting and your new flow rate, and then you adjust the VE to fix the richness... If you take the injector ms level and keep dropping it then your lying about what your injectors are doing and just adjusting for that lie in other areas.

The Injector flow rate should be a measured number for what your injectors can do at WOT, or what they've been tested at... its somewhat of a foundation for your tune.

Got Lope?
        3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
        Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
        Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
        12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

I remeber him saying the ms was 8... Maybe .8? I don't remember. The joys of a head injury that results in a shitty memory.
          ENGINE HAS INTERNAL DAMAGE. THIS MOTOR WILL BE TAKEN OUT OF THE FIERO AND REPAIRED IN TIME. UNTIL THEN, A L67 WILL RESIDE IN ITS PLACE

87 fiero gt 5spd 3500, 1280 cam and PR, ls6 valve springs, port and polished heads, ported lim, ported uim, 4.3 70mm tb, ported trueleo headers and y pipe, 2.5 inch ex, flowtech muff, 7730 ecm, moates.net APU1, self tuning *learning* (GOT FROM MY BROTHER, divorce reasons.)

Comment

8ms is too high.
            IF you need some smaller injectors give me a PM,I've got a few sets laying around some FORD and some other's.
            I'll be in OKC tuesday also so you can pick them up from me at the childrens hospital if you want or I can leave them with my uncle.(He lives over in Eagles Nest.)

Comment

Originally posted by SappySE107 View Post
              Those injectors can be tuned with your setup.
              x2

If i can do it, a "pro" should be able to.
              Past Builds;
              1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
              1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
              Current Project;
              1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Originally posted by DefEddie View Post
                8ms is too high.
                I'm obviously not familiar with OBDI, but how is the IFR listed?

OBDII is ms/gram, for example mine was 459.15ms/gram with 16lb injectors, and it is now, 278.75ms/gram

Not to call anyone stupid, but to ward off confusion thats simply means how many milliseconds does it take for your injector to flow a gram of fuel... of course this is at a full pressure state... so when you have engine vac your IFR is in turn lower, which is why they incorporated that into later bin files by making the IFR table scaled by MAP readings, My bin has a table with 0-100map, so I can in turn scale down the lower half of my table if I desired to calculate the flow difference with my pressure drop.

What configuration is in a OBDI file? I was messing with one but that was so long ago I cant remember what that setting had for a scale.

Got Lope?
                12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

Yup, make sure the BPC is calculated RIGHT for your size injectors AND displacement. (you are probably using A1, which is 3.1, and you have a 3.5)

If you don't set it to what it should be, all of the calculations the ECM uses to calculate what it needs to do get thrown off, and you end up having to fight things and adjust other things to compensate for it when you shouldn't have to...

Adjust the BPC right, then tune the VE. Done.

If he can't tune for 36lb/hr injectors, find a different guy to tune....

And 24 lb/hr will not support your motor. It's cammed with headers and a 3500... yup those will be maxed out....

EDIT: Jon, OBDI uses Base Pulse Constant instead of IFR. It's a calculation based on displacement and injector size. It's easiest to take a known BPC with known displacement, and injector size (say 3.1 and whatever their stock injectors are) then use math to come up with new values for your different displacement and injector size... And don't use liters for calculating, that's not accurate enough, use actual CC's of the motor (as we all know a 3400 is not really 3.4L, they rounded).

See my guide here, it has some info on figuring out BPC... (yes the guide is not done yet, but has good info still)
                  Last edited by IsaacHayes; 03-17-2010, 01:15 PM.
                  sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
                  1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
                  16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
                  Original L82 Longblock
                  with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
                  Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

Originally posted by IsaacHayes View Post
                    EDIT: Jon, OBDI uses Base Pulse Constant instead of IFR. It's a calculation based on displacement and injector size. It's easiest to take a known BPC with known displacement, and injector size (say 3.1 and whatever their stock injectors are) then use math to come up with new values for your different displacement and injector size... And don't use liters for calculating, that's not accurate enough, use actual CC's of the motor (as we all know a 3400 is not really 3.4L, they rounded).

See my guide here, it has some info on figuring out BPC... (yes the guide is not done yet, but has good info still)
                    http://isaachayes.60degreev6.com/OBD...A_11-16-09.pdf
                    Ok, very similar to figuring out IFR though... Its hard to get a ms/gram value when starting with a lb/hr value Its much easier to take your two injector sizes, 16 and divide by 28 (in my case) get a result of .5714 and then multiply that by your current IFR, since my new value needs to be 57% of the old one, yadda yadda...

So yeah in the end I think we all agree... Time to boot the tuner and get a real "Pro" who knows what to do.

Got Lope?

Comment

Tooner.
                      1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
                      Latest nAst1 files here!
                      Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

what happened to the tune that i sent you a while back?
                        Past Builds;
                        1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
                        1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
                        Current Project;
                        1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

thats the one he was using. i believe hes using tunercat. said he cant go below 8ms bc going that low for a lean condition, it would be shutting banks off and it just wouldnt run right. maybe its tunercat. i dunno. ill get merlot to reply on here since he understood and remembers it better than i do. the joys of a brain injury

Comment

what???

can't go below 8ms????
                            1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
                            Latest nAst1 files here!
                            Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

With the latest definition from Robert tunerpro rt has TONS of items opened up.
                              sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
                              1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
                              16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
                              Original L82 Longblock
                              with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
                              Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

Working...
                              X